Gransnet forums

Travel

Fromelles

(5 Posts)
goldengirl Tue 31-May-11 16:30:20

Has anyone been to Fromelles - the WW1 battle ground where thousands of Australians lost their lives in 1916? My grandfather was an Aussie who by some amazing good fortune managed to survive. We're aiming to visit in the summer. I've bought quite a few books on the subject - any excuse to buy more! - so I can get clued up smile

TwinsetandPearls Tue 31-May-11 21:49:54

No, haven't been there.
Sounds like you'll be having a wonderful, if poignant, time.
Hope all goes well for you.

harrigran Tue 31-May-11 22:47:35

I have been to Vimy Ridge and the Canadian Memorial but found visiting the trenches quite harrowing. The area was so quiet, no birdsong even, but then it was October.
Hope that you find Fromelles interesting.

goldengirl Wed 01-Jun-11 22:50:57

harrigan, did you go with a guide? I must admit I'm looking forward to it with mixed feelings. I want to go and relay back to my Aussie folks what I saw, but when you think of all that happened there I think it will be quite an emotional experience.

harrigran Wed 01-Jun-11 23:37:25

No goldengirl, my husband and I just did the trip ourselves. We read a book or two and visited strategic sites. What we did find interesting was the smaller cemeteries, each one has a cupboard in the wall with a book listing the fallen soldiers, regiments etc. We stayed in Arras, well documented in WW1.