Gransnet forums

Travel

Yeovil area advice?

(11 Posts)
JessM Tue 19-Jul-11 16:23:41

Tagging along this week on a DH business trip to Yeovil. He will be in meetings some of the time so I will have some time to explore on my own. I have been told that Yeovil is not exactly a cute west country town that I will enjoy wandering around.
Recommendations anyone? I will have the car and my NT card.
Also a day trip on Saturday - nice bit of the coast maybe?

grannyactivist Tue 19-Jul-11 23:51:41

Day trip on Saturday - 32 miles from Yeovil to Sidmouth. Walk along the seafront from east to west, ascend Jacob's ladder to the clocktower tearooms for morning coffee and cake. Stroll through the Connaught Gardens before heading back to the town centre where you can browse the quirky independent shops. Back to the seafront and call in to the Pea Green Boat for lunch or take fish and chips on to the esplanade. www.visitsidmouth.co.uk/

jangly Wed 20-Jul-11 10:19:19

Sidmouth is where there's that big grassy slope isn't it? That's really nice. We parked, if I remember rightly, in a woodland car park at the top and on a bit, and walked down to the town. About a mile I think.

Beer is lovely too. Gorgeous little shops and eating places.

Ooh, I love it all down there.

jangly Wed 20-Jul-11 10:22:33

What a good website that is! I want to go back! Now! smile

JessM Wed 20-Jul-11 11:05:39

Oh right looks lovely! Thanks grannyactivist and jangly for recommendation. DH wants to fit in a cycle ride so he could pedal back from there. He is quite a sight in lycra with his muscly, ex rowers thighs... This is good to see because he was very overweight for ages. Confessed the other day that he sings along with his ipod while peddling through quiet villages. Probably known as the singing cyclist!
Gosh, I need to pack my bucket and spade.

grannyactivist Tue 26-Jul-11 23:26:47

JessM How did you get on with your trip to Yeovil? Did you get to Sidmouth or find other interesting places?

JessM Wed 27-Jul-11 18:11:11

Hi. It was great. I went to a couple of NT houses on my own on Thursday and Friday. Tinitull, Montacute and Barrington lovely gardens and National Portraits as well. Yeovil reminded me of Bridgend (with slightly better shops as it is nowhere near a city).
We headed for the coast on Saturday and got to Charmouth. We did not go further down as there was a BIG EVENT in Lyme Regis - the lifeboat fundraiser, they had the red arrows so we had a cliff walk and then saw the display from there - it was amazing to see them over the sea. (the only time i saw them before i was in the Tate Modern cafe and they went past the window!! - we had just got the Olympics). You could see that Lyme Regis was jammed with people. It was wonderful to go where the first dinosaur was discovered though - and by a woman. I am hoping to go there again as my DH's new boss is based there...
Stayed in a nice bargain hotel called The Preston that had really great continental breakfast (how often does that happen?) and very nice evening meal.
Oh darn - just singed the chicken... reminds me of the time my sons grilled a very expensive organic goose that i had provided for xmas dinner....

veryordinaryjangly Wed 27-Jul-11 18:20:50

Oh I'm glad they are still having that lifeboat day in Lyme Regis. We saw the red arrows there. The local ladies make delicious cakes for sale too.

Glad you had a good trip.

jonssmith3 Fri 24-Feb-12 07:50:29

Message deleted by Gransnet.

bagitha Fri 24-Feb-12 08:12:35

reported

bagitha Fri 24-Feb-12 08:13:47

TECH! Write a wee program that recognises jonsmith and doesn't allow him/her entry!