Gransnet forums

Travel

London day out

(12 Posts)
yogagran Sat 30-Jul-11 23:32:03

Does anyone have ideas for a different day out in London, avoiding school holiday crowds and the general tourist trails. I'm due to meet a girlfriend for the day next week and have run out of ideas

jackyann Sun 31-Jul-11 08:17:22

what you don't say is whether you already know London well. Although it sounds very obvious, I always recommend an open top bus tour (with live guide) as you see everything and can hop on & off as the mood takes you.

I can recommend loads of museums but expect many will be crowded. I do love the Chelsea Physic Garden: http://www.chelseaphysicgarden.co.uk
I also suggest you look for London walks - I followed one (not guided, just the route) round the City and was delighted with all the little details it told us to look out for.

I usually head for the fabric & haby shops in Berwick St / Broad St to stock up.

I have found in the past that the roof garden & terrace at the Barbican are not too crowded, but you never know.

Soupy Sun 31-Jul-11 08:31:24

DH and I had a day out in London on Friday and did the Royal Chelsea Hospital (home of the Chelsea Pensioners; free and has a good museum) followed by the Chelsea Physic Garden.
We had half price entry to the Garden through an offer by London Midland Trains - it's normally £8 entry. Lovely lunch there and a friend also recommends it for tea.
Also coffee in Peter Jones in Sloane Sq - they have a great restaurant on the top floor.

Baggy Sun 31-Jul-11 09:40:31

Lovely boat rides from the South Bank. Went on one last April and it was very informative and entertaining.

yogagran Sun 31-Jul-11 20:46:31

Thank you all girls! The suggestions have been brilliant. I've decided, after emailing the friend I'm meeting, that we are going to both the Physic Garden and the Royal Chelsea Hospital. Nicely close to each other and a reasonable walk or bus from Victoria.
I do know London fairly well, I lived and worked in several different areas in London between school and getting married. The mid 60s was a wonderful time to be in London!
I think I'm enjoying London more now that when I lived there, it seems much cleaner and I love the way that the South Bank has been improved and developed.
Any more suggestions are always welcome as I visit several times a year.

Soupy Sun 31-Jul-11 21:01:57

I go every few months, either with DH or a few girlfriends.

We've done several of the free London Walks www.londonforfree.net/walks/index.shtmland are planning to go to the Geffrye Musuem in the autumn
www.geffrye-museum.org.uk/

JessM Sun 31-Jul-11 21:24:23

I do like to pop into the Courtauld collection in Somerset House. Just a few lovely French paintings.

www.courtauld.ac.uk/gallery/collections/paintings/imp-postimp.shtml

em Sun 31-Jul-11 21:34:45

Yogagran - have to agree with you that London is much cleaner (and I have to say friendlier) than it was when I lived there (69-71). Had a lovely few days there last week but was pretty tourist-minded. Shakespeare's Globe on the lovely South Bank close to where I worked in the old County Hall followed by Much Ado about Nothing with David Tennant and Catherine Tate. Delightful lunch in Neal's Yard and the outrageously camp Priscilla Queen of the Desert - not for the prudish! Altogether a very pleasant mini-holiday!

yogagran Sun 31-Jul-11 21:44:30

Thanks Soupy I have made a note of both your web links and will certainly visit soon. I hadn't heard of the Geffrye Museum, looks good.
JessM I'd like to get to see this collection - again, I didn't know about it. What a mine of information you all have

susiecb Mon 01-Aug-11 12:17:58

Not sure if its still there but Vinopolis on the souith bank near the globe is a lovely wine experience and restaurant. Trust mewine

yogagran Mon 01-Aug-11 14:19:36

That sounds perfect, but for some later date for me as I think the South Bank will be packed on a sunny August day. Thanks for the recommendation susiecb - will certainly try that soon

yogagran Tue 02-Aug-11 21:05:55

To Soupy & jackyann - I spent the day first of all going to The Royal Chelsea Hospital where we stayed till they closed for lunch at 12.00. We were "befriended" by a Chelsea Pensioner who insisted on taking us to the bar for a drink with him. Several fascinating stories later (plus an invitation to join them for lunch and also an offer to see their sleeping quarters, both of which we turned down!) we then went on the the Physic Garden. It was beautiful and so peaceful. I didn't realise that such a place existed. Lunch there and a good look around then back to the Chelsea Hospital when they reopened at 2pm. Saw the chapel, their dining room and the grounds. It's absolutely stunning. Thank you both SO much for the suggestions - I had a truly magical day, and the bonus of being far away from the tourist trails. Peace, tranquillity and beauty - what more could we ask for