Gransnet forums

Travel

travel

(27 Posts)
foodie Tue 02-Aug-11 22:08:23

Next year my husband and I will be touring New Zealand for six weeks. We are tempted by the idea of a motorhome, but have never hired one before. Does anyone have suggestions as to the size, make, hire company? Or should we forget the whole idea and hire a car?

JessM Tue 02-Aug-11 22:29:20

Before you decide look at motels. We don't have them here really. The best ones are luxury hotel room quality with rather nice kitchenette, very well equipped. But a lot cheaper and you can park right outside.
I have also stayed in a few quaint and quirky ones at the cheaper end, but always clean and nearly always some cooking facility. There are lots of them and if off peak season you may be able to negotiate a price.
Bear in mind that the roads are different. More like mid Wales than England and the local drivers tend to speed in the country. Also check if you would be able to take same vehicle from one island to the other.
Lovely place to go though. Christchurch is apparently still a terrible mess so may be best to avoid. Wellington tends to get overlooked but is worth going for museum etc as only place you can really see historical Maori stuff etc. Don't miss the Abel Tasman! You are very lucky to have a nice long holiday there.

foodie Tue 02-Aug-11 23:02:23

Thank you, JessM. Yes, we are very lucky to have this holiday! We have wanted to do it about it for a long time. Lots of our friends have fallen ill recently, so we decided to do it while we are still reasonably fit.

We will also spend a month with our daughter and granddaughters in Perth, Australia. We miss them terribly and wish they lived much nearer, but such is life. Luckily, we have been able to see them every year.

Baggy Wed 03-Aug-11 07:41:45

I'm quite envious, foodie! Have a glorious time! smile I'm not really a holiday person but this NZ trip of yours really appeals.

JessM Wed 03-Aug-11 08:36:03

MMM is you really are a foodie I understand "wineries" often have nice restaurants - but some of them only do lunch because they are out in the country I suppose.
And if you hit a barren patch there is always the savoury muffin. Why don't we have those? Savoury cake with vegetables...mmm

Rosiebee Fri 05-Aug-11 14:18:08

I have friends who hired campervans to tour Australia and New Zealand. They absolutely loved it. They've since hired a campervan in North America and are soon flying out to stay 5 days in New York before picking up a van to travel up and see the Fall in New England, crossing over to see Niagra Falls, coming back through Washington and Boston.
They say that you see so much more and meet so many more interesting people when you holiday this way. They had 4 weeks in New Zealand and really fell for the place.
Sorry can't tell you what type it was but it had all mod cons and was very easy to drive.
Rosie

MaggieP Wed 31-Aug-11 18:07:14

Hello foodie
Husband and I had wonderful long special holiday last year, in Jan - March a month of that was in NZ. We went via our family in Dubai and also friends in Sydney but had a month in NZ.
We rented a Maui camper van, a long White van! Automatic, for two people with loo, shower hot water, etc. We didn't use shower as the camp sites were so good, but to stop in a lay by miles from anywhere with stunning views, and make yourselves a coffee and have your own loo on board......
We had the van in South Island, so little traffic, and really enjoyed the kiwi experience. North Island we rented a car and stayed in delightful B & B all around. People so friendly and all the places , we had found on the 'net or in B and B books.
So enjoy every minute, do as much planning as you can, you won't be disappointed. I agree with JessM. Wellington is great and the Te Papa Museum a must. Yes, many people miss out on Abel Tasman, Nelson and the wine area Marlborough. We are so glad we visited that area, then ferry across to Wellington!
Russell in the Bay of Islands, stay a night or two, quaint peaceful and enjoy.
Sorry, rather long, got carried away with memories grin

JessM Wed 31-Aug-11 18:58:24

Yup MaggieP we didn't go round saying we were having the holiday of a lifetime, but we were. Napier also good value with all the amazing art deco buildings and I believe foodie wineries in the area. Oh and a really good gannet colony trip... Need to make my fortune so that we can go again...

Annobel Wed 31-Aug-11 20:11:25

MaggieP, you brought back memories of my trips to NZ. I still have to visit the southern part of North Island, but apart from that, I think I've covered most of it. It helps to have family 'out there'. My sister and I have used motels in many places and been very satisfied with the quality and prices. Loved the Bay of Islands and the Northern Peninsula - 90 Mile Beach with enormous surf. The driver took the bus along the sand. When he came near our lodge, he announced that he was going to let the 'elder ladies' get off. We looked round for these oldies and then realised he meant us! However, it's a Maori honorific, I think.
To get back to Foodie's original question, I'd recommend hiring a car and using motels. A campervan would also be great fun.

chrisy Sun 04-Sep-11 19:19:20

My husband and I went for 3 and half weeks in February 2010. It was an organised tour, we went from south island to north island stopping at different places of interest. The accommodation was great and we stopped at a variety of places it was one of the best holidays we have ever had.

Barrow Wed 07-Sep-11 15:58:10

I am planning to visit family in Australia over Christmas - can anyone recommend an airline? Cathay Pacific are the cheapest but looking on a review website it appears their seats are not very comfortable (if I am going to be in a seat for something like 26 hours I want a bit of comfort).

Soupy Wed 07-Sep-11 22:26:19

Barrow we've been a couple of times and have flown Qantas. Much prefer them to BA - more comfortable seats, better food and superior inflight entertainment screens.

That apart, I believe Air New Zealand have good leg room and always come up well on passenger satisfaction surveys.

Annobel Thu 08-Sep-11 07:55:37

I beg to differ about Air New Zealand. Perhaps it was because I flew on a very high-demand route via Hong Kong, but the leg-room was awful in Economy class. When the seats were reclined, I measured the distance between the arm of my seat and the back of the seat in front - it was a hand-span, no more than 8 inches. Try getting out to go to the loo with that amount of space. The first time I flew to NZ, they had foot-rests in Economy but these had disappeared two years ago. I blame the introduction of Economy Plus which I believe has caused Economy class to be 'squeezed' to get the same number of seats to be fitted into less space. I have heard that Emirates is more comfortable and I found Singapore Airlines satisfactory, but that was 11 years ago.

JessM Thu 08-Sep-11 08:56:09

That's interesting Annobel. NZ used to have great legroom - but I seem to recall that they did start using smaller planes when the recession bit into tourism. So that made a difference.
Quantas have the new even bigger jumbos on some routes (they are enormous).
I use Trailfinders to do my bookings as they are v helpful. They could advise on legroom etc. Good place to get an aussie visa on their website.

Annobel Thu 08-Sep-11 09:27:00

It's true, Jess, that Air NZ did have good leg room. Back in 2001 I had no complaints on the Singapore route, so whether they cram passengers into the Hong Kong flights or whether they have squeezed all flights, I'm not going to use them again. Wish I could afford business class!

JessM Thu 08-Sep-11 10:00:21

We did afford the inbetween class once and it was lovely (premium economy or whatever) ho hum. I am flying out to Sydney week after next with Virgin and on to LA and London with ANZ so i will report. I am getting to be the economy long-haul veteran flyer these days. I had some great hypnotherapy a few years ago which really helped the flight to pass quickly and easily. And I am usually the only person doing yoga etc in HK airport or where-ever. Not much room to exercise in horrid LAX though. Apparently the US airports are run by the cities. I once flooded the toilet in George Bush airport Houston. What a dump it was.

There is a lot to be said for private enterprise in some circumstances.
S. Hemisphere airports tend to be luxurious, spacious and comfortable in comparison to our over busy ones. I think my favourite for comfort so far is Auckland and for modern space and tranquillity... probably Singa but in HK there are leather recliners if you have the time to use them! And the opportunity to do quite a long jog if you wanted to.

rosiemus Thu 08-Sep-11 10:57:37

JessM I once flooded the toilet in George Bush airport Houston. What a dump it was.

I think I read that in a different way to what you had intended!!!

grannyactivist Thu 08-Sep-11 11:11:48

rosiemusgrin grin grin

JessM Thu 08-Sep-11 11:15:12

LOL, well spotted
Fortunately i had only had a wee!!!!!!

Annobel Thu 08-Sep-11 16:39:07

I used Virgin to San Francisco a couple of years ago. It was far more comfortable than ANZ.

JessM Thu 08-Sep-11 20:15:25

Ok. do we choose a window seat on the basis that if we do drop off, then the person sitting next to you is not going to wake you up so they can get out to the loo. (and the views are, occasionally, spectacular). Downside is you may have to either climb over sleeping body or disturb them.
Or do we choose an aisle seat so we don't have to disturb someone else. ANd risk getting woken.

Annobel Thu 08-Sep-11 23:07:12

Heads you win, tails you lose, jess. I usually have an aisle seat so that I can stretch my legs out if necessary. I have had people climb over me in the middle of the night, but thought that was preferable to having to clamber over them.

MaggieP Fri 09-Sep-11 13:38:42

Emirates definitely!
We used them frequently whilst visiting family over 3 yrs in Dubai. Much preferred them to any others.
They fly via Dubai to most cities in Australia.

MaggieP Fri 09-Sep-11 13:43:36

Sorry forgot to mention that the Airbus A380 is really good, more space altogether.

absentgrana Sat 10-Sep-11 10:35:44

I was not impressed with Air New Zealand and thought it very uncomfortable with inadequate service and the nastiest cup of tea I have ever drunk – and I was flying business class. I love Singapore Airlines.