Gransnet forums

Travel

Where to spend Hogmaney?

(8 Posts)
GrannyFirstLight Sat 19-Nov-11 05:07:13

Hi,
I am a new member - live in the States and am traveling alone in Scotland over the holidays, hoping to do a lot of photography. I will be spending a week in Edinburgh before Christmas (for my urban dose), then Christmas on Iona (for my quiet dose.)
My question is...where to go for Hogmaney? I'm not a raving party person, and I don't drink...so wild urban scene is not for me...but would like to partake of something traditional and friendly.
Is this Stonehaven fireball-swinging festivity too touristy and crazy?
Should I rent a car and drive to the highlands to see what I can see and land where I may?
Show up at a CalMac pier and ride the ferry to somewhere chilly?
Take a post bus ride to where ever and just stay for the duration?
(I'm assuming it will be hard to find a place to stay if I don't book something soon, however)
Any ideas welcome!
Thanks.

susiecb Sat 19-Nov-11 10:13:00

To stand on the banks of a Loch at midnight on New Years Eve would be wonderful. There is a beautiful seafood restaurant on the banks of Loch Laggan which calls to me from afar. Skye is a most beautiful spot you could stand on the bridge at midnight and toast the New Year in. Hopefully you will come on here and we can have a nice New Year natter all of us.Hope you find something you like.smile

Granny23 Sat 19-Nov-11 12:04:15

My sister + BIL were in Granton on Spey for Hogmany last year and enjoyed it so much they are going back this year. Music, dancing and fireworks in the town square at midnight and a ceilidh in their hotel.

Before the DGC came along we went to Auchrannie on the isle of Arran - ferry from Ardrossan, hotel will collect you from ferry, quiz, murder mystery night and ceilidh - like a country house party - wonderful food.

If you are coming from Iona you will presumably land back in Oban where many hotels do New Year Break packages.

I would think very carefully, before setting out alone in a car in winter in the north of Scotland, especially after last winters freeze up when many people were left stranded in cars for 24 hours or more. Train (or coach) from say Stirling to Aviemore or on to Inverness takes you through wonderful scenery and you can sit back and watch without worrying about driving.

Annobel Sat 19-Nov-11 13:00:04

Tobermory, I am told, has fireworks at midnight. And the people of Mull are very friendly and hospitable.

GrannyFirstLight Tue 06-Dec-11 02:54:20

Thank you all for your advice! Sorry to be long in responding, but have been frantically tying up loose ends here on the farm and getting organized (as in:packing and re-packing) for the trip.
I leave in 1 week!
I took to heart the advice about not driving through the Highlands alone in winter. I live in the mountains here and have a well-outfitted car with studded snow tires and emergency equipment - even to go to the grocery. I would have been renting the cheapest little car available....not the best for rough weather.
Also, I wasn't able to find any real budget accommodations up there so close to the holidays.
So I will come off Iona, hold up in a hostel for a few days (washing my clothes, eating fish and chips!) and then take a train to Stonehaven for the fireball parade. I was able to contact the folks involved in the event, so I should be able to get some good shots of preparation, and some interviews for doing a radio show when I get back.
Thanks again....and happy holidays to you all!

bagitha Tue 06-Dec-11 06:49:51

Hogmanay.

Geraldine, Josie, Cari! Pretty please for a spelling correction! smile

GrannyFirstLight Tue 06-Dec-11 14:34:30

Yes, Bagitha...point taken!
I now know it's spelled with an "a" and not and "e".
So, it's spelled exactly the way it sounds! blush

bagitha Tue 06-Dec-11 14:35:38

smile slainte, GFL!