Gransnet forums

Travel

assisted travel

(13 Posts)
Hunt Tue 13-Dec-11 09:21:51

Has anyone used ''assisted travel''? I have tried it three times and each time it has not worked. I have difficulty walking and managing luggage but I was not totally stranded ,I did wonder what would have happened to a less able person.

jonssmith3 Fri 24-Feb-12 08:18:50

Message deleted by Gransnet.

bagitha Fri 24-Feb-12 08:19:34

reported

glammanana Fri 24-Feb-12 09:15:00

First of the day me thinks ? well done bags

Greatnan Fri 24-Feb-12 09:18:50

I wonder when they will get the message and give up?
I would be interested in genuine replies, as I am arranging for wheelchair assistance when I bring my sister over from Manchester to Geneva in May.
Easyjet tell me I just need to ring their special number two days before we fly. My sister gets breathless if she has to walk more than about 100 yards, but she will be able to climb the aircraft steps on her own.

kittylester Fri 24-Feb-12 11:37:39

I think I might have put this on somewhere else but, just in case:

My son, who had a stroke 5 years ago and travels in a wheelchair, came back from visiting friends in London (on EMT). He reported into the Assisted Travel desk at St Pancras and was helped into his seat. When he got to Loughborough Station he waited patiently for help to get off the train as disabled people are often left until last (understandably - health and safety and other passengers in a rush etc). To his horror the train moved off with him frantically banging on the window. Another passenger came to see what was wrong and alerted the staff at the next station who helped Matt off and told him they would put him on the next train back in an hour and a half!! Meanwhile, my husband was waiting for Matt to get come out of the station and started to worry when he didn't appear. He then had a phone call from Matt asking him to come to the next station. When Matt complained to EMT they refunded his fare - bless 'em!!

On the other hand, he booked to travel from Derby to Macclesfield and the train was cancelled so the train company (which I think wasn't EMT but not sure) put him in a taxi to Stoke so he didn't miss his connection.

And, only last week, he was catching a local bus to University when the driver moved off while he was still holding the pole with one foot (his good one) on the platform!! He now has no confidence when getting onto local buses!

Sorry - rant over!!!

Elegran Fri 24-Feb-12 12:25:27

greatnan We have used Easyjet's assisted travel and it worked excellently. You do have to check in earlier than usual and make yourself known, but we were looked after every inch of the way. once they were aware of our arrival. Just make sure you know exactly where and when to report in, and have your paperwork handy.

They did the checking in for us, and saw us through security. The wheelchair was pushed from one point to another, we were first to board (and last off, but that is reasonable) We were put in the front seats nearest the attendants' corner and the toilet, they brought a glass of water for DH to take pills and generally looked after us. At the other end another contingent of wheelchair pushers took over and someone called a taxi.

Don't be tempted to say "I can manage that much ...." Be as helpless as necessary. It is exhausting enough for the able-bodied to get around from one connection to another.

Greatnan Fri 24-Feb-12 12:47:11

Many thanks, Elegran, that is very reassuring. It is my sister that needs help - which is why I am going over to Manchester to bring her back to France for a holiday with me. I am lucky enough to be able to travel extensively without any problems, although I was a bit stiff when I got back from New Zealand.

Hunt Sun 26-Feb-12 09:28:54

Airlines seem to do it better by all accounts. Wake up, railways , we need help.

Greatnan Sun 26-Feb-12 11:52:15

At least with an airline you know with whom you are dealing. Since the ridiculous privatisaton of the railway system the various companies have been able to offload blame on to each other (as in several serious crashe).

Hunt Wed 29-Feb-12 16:53:34

Oh! Greatnan ,what a treat to hear ''whom''

Greatnan Thu 01-Mar-12 07:50:33

Once an English teacher.............

Hunt Sun 04-Mar-12 10:08:44

Quite!