Gransnet forums

Travel

Overwater Hall Hotel

(1 Post)
grannyactivist Mon 02-Apr-12 00:49:43

Thanks to Gransnet I was able to take a trip to Cumbria with the Wonderful Man and stay in the delightful Overwater Hall nestled in 18 acres of gardens and woodland under the shadow of Skiddaw and the Uldale Fells. If you click on the link you will see that the hotel is an award winning establishment and I can only say that it deserves to be. Stephen, one of the co-owners greeted us at the door and showed us to our room (Junior Room 7, check it out) and that was an indicator of the level of personal service we were to benefit from throughout our stay. I can honestly say that there was no fault to be found with the hotel, the room, the staff, the food.....and the service was always spot on. The little extras in the room, such as the home-made shortbread biscuits, fruit and flowers and the free decanter of damson liqueur offered as a 'nightcap', all added to the experience of luxury living. Whilst eating breakfast (delicious and beautifully served) we enjoyed watching red squirrels playing on the lawn outside the window.
In addition to the delights of the hotel we enjoyed exploring the area. I spent some time in Keswick and took the boat trip around Derwentwater while the WM tackled Skiddaw; meeting up again to take a leisurely stroll.
Another couple we spoke to in the hotel had been visiting at least once or twice a year for more than twenty years and counted it as their 'special place'. It isn't cheap, but you certainly get what you pay for and the WM enjoyed it so much that he's actually said he wants to return - even though it's a good five/six hours drive from where we live. (We combined it with a trip to York, so didn't have to make the journey in one day.)
Many thanks to the team at Overwater and to Gransnet for making our mini-holiday possible; it was an outstanding experience and by the time we left I felt refreshed and rejuvenated.