Gransnet forums

Travel

Lake Garda

(26 Posts)
grannyrebel99 Thu 11-Apr-19 21:06:42

I'm off to Lake Garda in May. Hubbie's choice not mine. Anyone been there?

leyla Thu 11-Apr-19 21:09:47

It’s beautiful! I hope you have a wonderful time.

aggie Thu 11-Apr-19 21:11:15

Oh Yes ! loved it . The locals were so friendly , lots of things happening and lovely food , lovely spot

Chewbacca Thu 11-Apr-19 21:13:30

Yes! And it's a stunningly beautiful area. The lake has a paddle steamer that goes from Garda to Riva, where the mountains hug the lakeside and the peace and tranquillity is just amazing.
Card a itself has narrow streets with small independent shops and restaurants.
It's quite easy to book a trip out to Verona or Venice for a day trip.

What's not to like? Bon Voyage grannyrebe!

Chewbacca Thu 11-Apr-19 21:14:04

Card? Garda!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Apr-19 21:16:19

Not sure about Garda. We spent time around Lake Como last year. I adored it.

EllanVannin Thu 11-Apr-19 21:21:20

I've been there for a day while staying in an area called Torbole. It is beautiful and with the Dolomites in the background my friend and I visited a place called Malcesine.

It's also worth a visit to Venice while you're there.

JessK Thu 11-Apr-19 21:21:41

It's a lovely place to visit. The towns around the lake are all quite different so worth travelling around - by boat is the best way. Enjoy.

SpringyChicken Thu 11-Apr-19 21:34:25

We loved it. Can recommend the cable car up Monte Baldo, should be plenty of alpine flowers in May. Bus service is great, gorgeous ice cream.

cornergran Thu 11-Apr-19 21:50:45

We loved it. Travelled round on the steamers, had a day in Venice, went up into the Dolomites. Would like to go again.

Bathsheba Thu 11-Apr-19 22:08:12

Wonderful place! So much to see around the lake. An absolute must is a trip to Malcesine to take the cable car up Monte Baldo - it is breathtaking.

Verona is close by and well worth a visit and of course Venice, which you can get to by train.

We were there for a couple of weeks and loved every minute of our stay - apart from day one, when it rained all day! As our stay was part of a tour across Europe, we had our car, so spent the day driving around the lake and getting acquainted with it.

I would go back in a heartbeat!

MiniMoon Thu 11-Apr-19 23:06:05

We went there several years ago. We stayed in Limone, it was beautiful.
I to can recommend the cable car up to Monte Baldo.
Funnily enough, when clearing out a couple of old handbags recently, I came across my ticket.
It was 2004. It's printed on the reverse of the ticket.
I hope you have a wonderful time.envy

grannyqueenie Fri 12-Apr-19 00:03:29

We were there a few years back, staying in Malcesine. Yes the cable car trip is well worth doing, we also did a full day trip into the Dolomites which was a good outing. We went to Verona, its’s an interesting city, using the local buses. Exploring various lakeside locations, they are all different, by boat is a must. Enjoy!

Lynnieg Fri 12-Apr-19 00:32:39

Yes we go every year, it's one of the loveliest places.
We stay down in Desenzano and you can get to practically everywhere from there.
The East side of the lake is more touristy, the West side quieter.
There are beautiful gardens to visit and fantastic markets in all the towns round the lake.
If you go in August/September there is a celebration called Notte Bianchi when the shops and restaurants stay open late and there is street entertainment and music.
Have a lovely time smile

crystaltipps Fri 12-Apr-19 06:42:44

I visit a lot as I have a relative with a friend who owns a hotel on the lakeside. I can recommend! The place we stay is called Gargnano on the west side and it’s not touristy, but you can get there on the boat, lots of nice lakeside cafes and restaurants. There are botanic garden a short way down the lake , take the boat to Bardolino. An interesting garden to visit is the Vittoriale which was owned by an eccentric poet and world war 1 hero who put a boat and an aeroplane in the graden. They sometimes have concerts there. If you like fish , try corregone, which is the fish from the lake and will be on all the menus. Local lemons and limoncello are worth a try too. The local wine is fantastic so look out for that if you like a glass of chilled white overlooking the lake and mountain. A big touristy place is Sirmione, which has lots of posh shops and restaurants and lovely gardens too, nice for a day trip, again, go everywhere by boat as the road around the lake gets very busy.

TerriBull Fri 12-Apr-19 07:17:01

You are in for a treat, it's a little bit of heaven on earth. We stayed in Sirmione a lovely town quite near the larger one of Desenzano where I believe you can get the train to Verona, if I remember rightly, we did that a beautiful city worth visiting. I particularly remember driving round the lake, pretty large and visiting the towns of Gardone and Malcesine among others. All of it's lovely, I hope you have a great time OP.

Susan56 Fri 12-Apr-19 08:13:33

We have been to Riva Del Garda a couple of times and are going back this summer.Its a beautiful area to visit.Boats are like buses on Garda,you can take the boat to the other villages/resorts around the lake.We also visited Verona and Venice.Lots of beautiful scenery and lovely cafes/restaurants.I’m sure you will love it.

mcem Fri 12-Apr-19 08:51:26

I endorse what others have said.
Zigzagging across the lake from Limone to Malcesine to Sirmione and Riva del Garda at the top of the lake.
People, food, scenery all excellent but I have to flag up the wines and vineyard tours. Barolo in Bardolino and after a quick trip it's Prosecco in Venice.
If you can fit in a couple of days in Venice, you'll find it's wonderful in the evenings after the daytrippers go!

I'd return in a heartbeat!

annsixty Fri 12-Apr-19 09:33:01

Limone was the last holiday my H and I had before Alzheimer's took hold.
We ferried across to Malcesine several days including one evening for a concert in the castle grounds.
The whole area is magical.
It was May when we went and it was just starting to get very warm.
You will love it.

KatyK Fri 12-Apr-19 09:50:31

Oh yes it's wonderful. We got the ferry on the lake. You can get off at all the little towns on the lake. We stayed near Malcesine. We would also get the bus and I couldn't believe that school children who got on weren't marvelling at the stunning scenery. Have a lovely time.

Jane10 Fri 12-Apr-19 09:51:19

Wow. It sounds absolutely lovely. Must put these suggestions on our list of places to go.

KatyK Fri 12-Apr-19 10:40:34

It is Jane Sounds daft but I kept thinking about it when we came back and we've been to lots of lovely places. Lake Como is lovely too but I preferred Garda.

petra Fri 12-Apr-19 19:11:45

We have been there many times in the motohome.
What's not to love, lakes and mountains. Although I do prefer Como.

LadyGracie Fri 12-Apr-19 21:48:32

Wonderful so beautiful

crazyH Fri 12-Apr-19 22:42:33

You are all very lucky ladies !