Gransnet forums

Travel

Have a ‘safe’ journey

(60 Posts)
kaybomba Wed 25-Apr-18 14:56:07

I wish this wasn’t such a popular expression. When people say it to me (and I appreciate that they are being caring) it just makes me think of possible disasters which might occur. I particularly hate it when people say ‘hope you have a safe flight’. Surely what they are really saying is ‘hope your plane doesn’t crash’ - what else could it mean? Not that anyone would actually say those words out loud!
Please could people say ‘have a GOOD journey’ or ‘enjoy your journey’ instead?

merlotgran Wed 25-Apr-18 15:01:14

I agree and I also hate it when people say, 'Drive safe!'

What on earth is that supposed to mean?

Atqui Wed 25-Apr-18 15:05:39

Oh dear I'm afraid I'm guilty! It has now become something I feel I have to say when the children leave for a long journey, on a par with saying goodbye.

nanaK54 Wed 25-Apr-18 15:10:35

Oh dear I often wish people 'safe journey' confused

lemongrove Wed 25-Apr-18 15:13:57

Me too, although I like it when others say it to me, it sounds caring.

lemongrove Wed 25-Apr-18 15:15:47

I don’t really think of car crashes, more that I have a pleasant and uneventful journey with no traffic jams.

Baggs Wed 25-Apr-18 15:19:41

The number of people injured or killed in flying accidents is a tiny, tiny, tiny percentage of the whole, much, much lower than for road journeys. Stop moaning about people trying to be kind! It's not their fault if you worry and imagine horrible things. The difference between the words safe and good is not huge. Have a good journey includes the safe bit and have a safe journey includes the good bit.

M0nica Wed 25-Apr-18 17:18:59

I tend to say 'take care'. The trouble is, my sister having been killed in a road accident and, separately, my daughter severely injured in one. Both the innocent victims of a concatenation of events rather than the victims of dangerous drivers, it is difficult to say anything to some one starting a journey that isn't freighted with significance. I wish I could think of something.

Baggs Wed 25-Apr-18 17:59:52

I wonder if “Farewell” would do?

NanKate Wed 25-Apr-18 18:25:01

I hate it in shops when at the conclusion of the sale they say 'have a good/great day'. Lots of people, pensioners in particular, are coping with difficult lives and this is the last thing that is happening to them. It's all part of the new customer care style and I don't like it.

Grannyknot Wed 25-Apr-18 18:44:48

NanKate so because some people are coping with difficult lives, does that mean there can be nothing good about their day for example via a cheery greeting from a friendly sales person (who is probably just following instructions).

NanaandGrampy Wed 25-Apr-18 18:49:15

Blimey! Who knew I’ve been giving offence to people like the OP for years !!!!

I’m with Baggs !

grannyactivist Wed 25-Apr-18 18:54:43

On Friday, at the end of a long and busy working week my son came to visit for dinner and then attend a concert given by his grandmother. Afterwards we had a family gathering and my son left us at about midnight for his journey home. I did indeed tell him to drive safely (because I knew he was tired and it's a busy motorway he has to drive on) and also to send me a text when he was safely home. My words were not casually said - I really did want him to take extra care. smile

Teetime Wed 25-Apr-18 19:02:14

We all say these things when what we mean is ' we care about you'. Its very innocuous better than no-one saying anything at all.

SueDonim Wed 25-Apr-18 19:25:28

It's just a modern version of bon voyage, surely? After all, when we say goodbye, we're also saying 'God be with you'.

Day6 Wed 25-Apr-18 19:32:44

If OH and I part I always find myself saying "Go carefully" to him. I hope it shows him I care and he'll also take care of himself.

I do wish people a pleasant journey too, hoping they don't have delays at airports or meet traffic jams on the roads. It could also mean I hope terrorists don't strike, or a building doesn't collapse, or they're not involved in an incident, etc, I suppose, but I cannot imagine why wishing people well can ever be offensive?

SueDonim Wed 25-Apr-18 20:05:20

In Scotland there's a saying 'ca canny' which means go well or take care. I like it!

theresacoo Thu 26-Apr-18 10:04:10

Shows people care about you

missdeke Thu 26-Apr-18 10:16:54

As a holiday rep we were told when saying goodbye to guests NEVER, EVER wish them a safe journey, as this puts possible risks in mind. We always used pleasant journey.

merlotgran Thu 26-Apr-18 10:21:26

At last someone agrees with me.

I usually say, 'Have a good journey' or 'take care' if the weather is bad and the traffic likely to be heavy.

inishowen Thu 26-Apr-18 10:27:31

Until my children were about twelve, I used to say "watch crossing the road" every time they left the house. I felt if I didn't say it I would tempt fate. Lets face it. We are all full of fear for our loved ones.

Anyone7 Thu 26-Apr-18 10:40:15

Have never really thought about it before, I suppose ‘have a safe journey’ sounds like you have a choice. You could be a very careful driver but if you meet a reckless one on a sharp bend....
Have a good pleasant journey sounds better (again not in our control)

Anyone7 Thu 26-Apr-18 10:41:41

Forward lash missing between good and pleasant blush

tigger Thu 26-Apr-18 10:43:40

The South Africans' have a saying "Go well" which I think covers all sorts of good wishes for a journey.

TLVgran48 Thu 26-Apr-18 10:44:55

I say 'Happy Landings', but haven't heard anyone else using the phrase for ages...still, I feel it's a bit more cheerful than fly safe etc.