Gransnet forums

Travel

Berlin Christmas Market

(11 Posts)
Ziggy62 Wed 26-Jun-19 09:48:30

Just booked for 5 days in Berlin to visit Christmas market and hopefully take Bowie tour

Has any one else been to the market?

silverlining48 Wed 26-Jun-19 09:58:03

There are many different Christmas markets in Berlin. They all are very festive with lots of attractive things to buy many interesting places to see too. You will have a great time I am sure.

Divawithattitude Wed 26-Jun-19 10:09:00

They have some wonderful things to buy that you don't see here. The handcrafted ornaments are often expensive but really are heirloom pieces. We always stock up on candied nuts, gingerbread and other treats. We eat in the markets in the evenings sometimes, the foodstalls are wonderful as is the selection of Gluwhien stalls. ITs a lovely atmosphere in the evenings, there are often carol singers or other performers in the markets. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 26-Jun-19 10:21:15

Yes! I love Berlin. Take time to visit KA De We if you can, and have afternoon tea. Divine.
I am also a huge fan of Art Deco in what used to be the East Berlin bit just down from the gate towards the river on the right hand side there is a restaurant that has not been touched since the 1920s Nolle I think it’s called well worth a visit as is the stroll through the gardens.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 26-Jun-19 10:22:47

And of course the Christmas markets. ? all over the place which I forgot to mention. Lots of lovely stuff you will be spoiled for choice.

Ellianne Wed 26-Jun-19 10:45:30

Yes. There's a wonderful aroma around the food and drink stalls. Remember to take hats and scarves to wrap up warm.

JessK Wed 26-Jun-19 10:47:05

Yes several markets scattered around the city. They make you feel very festive and it's like a proper old fashioned Christmas.

Ziggy62 Thu 27-Jun-19 09:54:05

thank you so much for replies

sounds like we have made the right choice, cant wait

gillybob Thu 27-Jun-19 09:58:47

It sounds magical .

JackyB Thu 27-Jun-19 10:23:42

Berlin is very very cold in the winter. Take plenty of gloves and scarves.

DS3 has been at university there for the past 5 years and we still haven't got round to visiting him.

It is a wonderful city - it taught me that whilst many towns teach you about history, Berlin is history in the making, as it is still re-inventing itself after the fall of the Berlin wall.

I've never been at Christmas, but New Year's Eve is amazing there.

Ziggy62 Sat 29-Jun-19 17:59:19

thank you, don't wanna wish the summer away but I am so looking forward to it