Gransnet forums

Travel

Australia trip for senior citizens only?

(17 Posts)
infoman Mon 22-Jul-19 17:37:04

Having made several trips to Australia,
we can't choose who to spend 24 hours with.
So an idea,
what if a mature only passenger plane trip could be arranged.
Would anyone be interested?

PamelaJ1 Mon 22-Jul-19 17:49:30

Some of the children are better behaved than some adults!
However if we could get a good deal on a charter, at the time of year I want to go, preferably from Stanstead I’m up for it.

Maybelle Mon 22-Jul-19 17:59:23

I would prefer to cruise to Australia personally.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 22-Jul-19 18:02:25

Good Lord no. Grumpy old people who need to be kept away from other age groups. What an awful thought.

I have found people generally reasonable and helpful when necessary on what is not the easiest of flights. I am sorry if you have had problems.

PamelaJ1 Mon 22-Jul-19 18:02:57

Me too .maybelle, just a tad more expensive and just a few hours longer.

Callistemon Mon 22-Jul-19 18:17:43

Good Lord no. Grumpy old people who need to be kept away from other age groups. What an awful thought. grin

I've come across some children who have been far more mature than some adults!
Mainly on short-haul, though, as most people seem to want to sleep on long-haul flights.

Would one have to pass a maturity test?

trisher Mon 22-Jul-19 18:42:43

If there is one please can we have the plane divided into separate sections. Instead of 1st class, economy etc we could have Party Grans, (60s and 70s music played through. headphones, lots of champers and dancing), Techno Grans (i-pads, twitter and social media etc) Grumpy Grans (earplugs, sleep masks and cushions handed out on demand). You could move from one section to another as long as there wasn't too much dancing which might cause plane problems.

EllanVannin Mon 22-Jul-19 18:43:55

I'd rather travel with the All Blacks like I once did---they sing ! I don't sleep long-haul, I'd rather dust the windows.

I once looked after a tiny baby who was in a bassinette opposite where I was sitting to give their parents a break on the long journey.

PamelaJ1 Mon 22-Jul-19 18:54:09

Trisher, bags I start as a techno gran. Get the hard work out of the way.
On to a bit of partying then I’ll be ready to be grumpy.?
Next category is happy grans as we will have survived the journey and be ready to be welcomed by our Aussie families.

Callistemon Mon 22-Jul-19 20:18:45

Party Grans, (60s and 70s music played through. headphones, lots of champers and dancing),
grin

I might not manage to be a Party Gran for very long, could turn into a Not Very Grumpy Gran who needs a cushion and a blanket and sleep! Preferably in Business or First please.

I can leave the social media alone for the duration grin

Travelling with the All Blacks sounds wonderful EllanVannin, unless you have to sit next to one, they could be a bit bulky.

Callistemon Mon 22-Jul-19 20:20:26

I'd rather dust the windows.
Do you clean windows for a hobby, EV?
Mine are in need (indoors).

SueDonim Mon 22-Jul-19 20:37:53

I've just booked a trip to Australia today! Never been before. I wasn't offered any choice of age group to sit with on the plane, just economy or first. 'That'll be economy, thanks.' grin

Callistemon Tue 23-Jul-19 09:26:51

EV
I'd rather dust the windows
I keep imagining flying along at 30,000ft and seeing a woman, chamois leather in hand, busy cleaning the windows on the outside of the plane grin

EllanVannin Tue 23-Jul-19 09:47:04

Callistemon, I actually sat next to their coach, Austrian I think, at the time and remember him being peeved when we hit turbulence and his coffee landed down the front of his trousers------he was not amused but I couldn't stop laughing ! We shared two seats at the tail of the plane and most of the players were in the 5 middle seats or sleeping on the floor in the aisles. They were great company and when they sang " Now is the hour ",I was crying. Magic !

Callistemon Tue 23-Jul-19 11:58:31

I've always supported the All Blacks!
That would have been wonderful EllanVannin!

PamelaJ1 Tue 23-Jul-19 14:02:26

SueDomim, you’ll have to look on seat guru to see if they have added a section suitable for the older generation.

SueDonim Tue 23-Jul-19 21:40:22

Hahaha, PamelaJ1. 'Old gimmers section here, please, if you don't mind, madam.' grin