Gransnet forums

Travel

One month away on my own

(13 Posts)
Peonyrose Mon 22-Jul-19 19:24:18

I want to go away for a month end of January beginning of February. I only want a 3 hour flight so though, so thought of Spain. Will be on my own, so any ideas anyone. Thankyou,

Calendargirl Mon 22-Jul-19 20:31:03

Any of the Canary Isles, is that about three hours away for you?

silverlining48 Mon 22-Jul-19 20:31:34

You might get better weather in cyprus that time of year but it’s a 4 hour flight. They mostly speak English and drive on the same side of the road as we do ( in case you wanted to hire a car).

crazyH Mon 22-Jul-19 20:36:37

Peonyrose, I've always wanted to do that, but not brave enough. Good luck

blossom14 Mon 22-Jul-19 20:53:27

We have spent a month in Tenerife or Lanzarote, mid Feb to mid Mar (avoid half term) for the last ten years. There are lots of Ladies on there own, it is easy to rent a studio or one room apartment on a small complex and it feels very safe out and about. Look on Trip Advisor on the help forums.
The flight is usually between 3 and a half to 4 hours.

Patsy70 Mon 22-Jul-19 21:23:04

Peonyrose. My sister lives in Estepona, so you can fly into either Gibraltar or Malaga. It has much to offer, and the weather can be quite warm at that time. There is the opportunity of taking coach trips to interesting places, lots of lovely restaurants, shops, street markets, good accommodation in the centre and, of course, beautiful beaches and the sea. What more could you ask for?

Grannyknot Tue 23-Jul-19 07:47:30

Peony I went on my own to Spain for a month a few years ago. It was lovely. I rented a house in Mijas, easily reached by train and bus from Malaga. I could go on the bus to Fuengirola and other towns along the coast. I paid 500 Euro for a month's rental.

I had two lots of visitors during the month, my daughter came for a few days and my husband too - he was working and couldn't take a month off.

The weather was mostly around 18 degrees and sunny. Occasionally there would be a cold wind and we had rain on a couple of days. I recommend it!

Grannyknot Tue 23-Jul-19 07:48:00

Meant to say - it was February.

DDOR Mon 29-Jul-19 13:18:27

Penny rose as Grannyknot said try Costa del Sol as many places to see if on your own ,Bus,,Train ,goes all along coast to stop have a day in each area ,I am going three weeks 7th April if you contact me give me your e mail I will give you where I stay.Take Care Deirdre

lemongrove Mon 29-Jul-19 13:26:24

How about Madeira?
Mild climate, safe country and nice people.

gillybob Mon 29-Jul-19 13:30:58

OMG sounds like heaven. I hope you find somewhere nice Peonyrose envy

Peonyrose Sat 24-Aug-19 18:39:04

I have decided on the area around Malaga, but think I might do just two weeks, bit nervous of a month on my own. Thank you everyone for your valuable help.

gillybob Sat 24-Aug-19 19:00:48

Why not drop Urmstongran a quick PM Peonyrose she spends quite a lot of time in Malaga and might be able to give you a few helpful tips .

I hope you have a lovely time, I’m a bit envy