Gransnet forums

Travel

Sweet dreams of travelling again

(44 Posts)
CathTheWise Fri 08-May-20 05:49:05

Where do you plan to travel to when this lock down is lifted? I'd love to visit Italy but I won't rush in there, so probably Greece is next in my list. What would be your plans?

Riverwalk Fri 08-May-20 05:55:13

This week I should be on a walking trip in Tuscany so eventually hope to achieve this - likely to be this time next year.

Esspee Fri 08-May-20 06:10:48

We have a tour of Northern India booked for November and I now do not want to go. My OH is adamant that we are not cancelling so we shall have to wait and see how the situation progresses.

CathTheWise Fri 08-May-20 06:54:44

Riverwalk, I'm sorry your trip to Tuscany is postponed but I really hope you will be able to go there!
Esspee, maybe it all will be over by November. Why don't you want to go? I think, borders will be opened once the situation is better, so you won't have to worry about it.

Calendargirl Fri 08-May-20 06:58:39

Personally, I’m glad we have nothing booked for the future. Have sometimes had an autumn trip planned by now, so with the way things are will just wait and see how things turn out.

Not desperate to go anywhere really.

cavewoman Fri 08-May-20 07:03:31

We should be going to a quiet little coastal village in Halkidiki for a fortnight in September. Not yet cancelled- but not holding my breath.
I need my annual fix of the Greek Islands sunshine

PetitFromage Fri 08-May-20 07:08:46

We were planning to go to New Zealand and Australia, but I think it will be a long time before their borders are open.

Hetty58 Fri 08-May-20 07:10:22

travelling has lost it's appeal.

CorneliaStreet Fri 08-May-20 07:38:01

I could be in the USA now, I had so much trouble applying for the visa and when I finally applied online, they closed the borders and the whole crisis started. I just hope I will have another opportunity to visit this counrty.

CathTheWise Fri 08-May-20 07:40:37

Calendargirl, yeah, me too. It would be so upsetting to have to postpone or cancel your trips.
cavewoman, I hope you will visit it!!
PetitFromage, same with me, I just don't want to lose hope but right now it seems like there could be no travelling at all!

CathTheWise Fri 08-May-20 07:46:14

CorneliaStreet, so you had to cancel?? I'm sorryю How did you apply for the visa tho? Did they decline?

CorneliaStreet Fri 08-May-20 07:51:10

Yes, they didn't like my photo, it was cropped somehow wrong, so I had to send another application and then resend it and so on. I used Passport photo maker from passport-photo-software.com/ then, so it went smoothly last time but we still had to cancel due to Covid-19 ourbreak.

NfkDumpling Fri 08-May-20 07:52:24

Oh, cavewoman Halkidiki. One of my favourite places!

We have a campervan sitting in our drive. She really needs a run out - somewhere remote. Can’t wait for campsites to re-open.

CathTheWise Fri 08-May-20 07:56:54

NfkDumpling, same with me! We used to go camping 2 years ago and planned to start it all this summer. Seems like there will be no opportunity for us this year tho.

CathTheWise Fri 08-May-20 08:04:49

CorneliaStreet, ah, I see, I hope next time you won't face these problems!

vampirequeen Fri 08-May-20 14:37:24

I can't wait to go camping again. Will probably go to North Yorkshire first? We know a lovely little site near Knaresborough.

We've got a weekend coach trip to Chester and Liverpool booked for July. Then more camping and more camping. Do you see a pattern forming grin. Hopefully the weather will be good otherwise we'll have to replace the camping with coach trips but we won't be able to go as often because they cost more.

Fiachna50 Fri 08-May-20 17:16:06

We only had two trips within the UK booked. Have rebooked one for next year, the other one we don't know what will happen as it's not till the Autumn. We don't have anything booked for abroad and will not be going abroad till we know more about Covid19. The other thing that needs to be considered is, will other countries let you in? Im very sorry for all those who had trips abroad cancelled, it is a shame. I would keep updated on the Foreign Office website if you hope to travel abroad.

Witzend Fri 08-May-20 17:24:41

We had nothing at all actually booked for this year - though a few trips were on the cards, and I have to say I’m not missing going away at all. We were away 6 times last year - U.K. and Europe - and dh had a long haul 7th on his own.

I suppose I ought to feel that I’m getting very boring, being un-bothered about going away, but TBH we’ve travelled extensively over the years and there’s nowhere I yearn for.
I’d still enjoy some lovely warm sea to swim in, though!

Jane10 Fri 08-May-20 17:31:07

We had our big trip of a lifetime booked. Tour through Canada then Alaska cruise. All cancelled now. We've just been sent vouchers redeemable for 2 years but think we'll most likely use them for a trip a bit nearer home. A river cruise maybe or another visit to Scandinavia. Its hard to imagine going anywhere though. Maybe next Spring? I certainly won't be booking so far in advance again. ?

EllanVannin Fri 08-May-20 17:41:52

I would have gone to Jersey last minute for the Battle of the Flowers and their lobster salads but it's cancelled this August.sad See what next year brings. It's only an hour away by air from Liverpool which is no time at all to feel that you're abroad.

bikergran Fri 08-May-20 17:46:13

Lytham St Annes smile 45 mins away

Fleetwood 50 mins away

Even Cheesy Blackpool 45 mins away

Im easily suited just want to see the sea.

Llandudno would suit me even more 2 hours away.

EllanVannin Fri 08-May-20 18:41:17

I should be satisfied being 2mins away from the sea-shore !

jeanie99 Sun 10-May-20 11:08:37

Once this is over I'll be happy to just travel round the UK, just would like the freedom to walk around safely.
Haven't been out other than walking in the village since mid March.
Skegness is very appealing, just to walk on the fabulous beach would be a pure delight.

lovingit Sun 10-May-20 22:48:44

At the beginning of March I paid the deposit and a month's rent for a winter rental in Spain starting in October. I even paid a hefty deposit on my dog's transport.

Do I get my dog his passport?
Will it be money wasted?
I wish I knew what to do.

Luckygirl Sun 10-May-20 23:03:55

I will never feel the same again about train or ferry travel - I never fly, but would not be keen to be in a sealed metal box cheek by jowl with others whose every out-breath is being recycled into my lungs!.