Gransnet forums

Travel

Holiday refunds

(11 Posts)
Jane43 Thu 14-May-20 14:04:44

We took out a single trip insurance for our 11 day trip to California, we should have flown out yesterday. We saw from the company’s website that if the cancellation was due to Covid 19 we could claim a refund of the full amount of the policy, they pointed out that we should be aware that if we cancelled the policy we couldn’t make any claims. This suited us fine as amount we would have been awarded was little more than the excess on the policy. We made the claim by email (this was the only way we could claim) about two weeks ago and we have received an email today saying that the refund will be in our bank account within 5 working days. We are very happy with this as until we read that some insurance companies were making refunds we would have put it down as a loss. I thought I would post this in case anybody is unaware that they could claim a refund on a single trip travel insurance policy.

We also received refunds for all the hotel bookings we made through Expedia within days of contacting them.

We are still waiting for confirmation of the refund of our flights from Virgin Atlantic; they said it would be confirmed within 30 days which is up next Thursday. If it is confirmed it will take up to a further 60 days to receive the money.

Teetime Thu 14-May-20 14:59:46

We have had all our money back from Jet 2, the airport car park and an agreement of part of the travel insurance back.
Should have been in Portugal now - all well perhaps next year or Scotland if the dreaded woman lets us in.

Jane43 Thu 14-May-20 16:39:09

I know, we keep saying we would have been in Palm Springs now. I think we will have to forget about long haul flights as we are 77 soon and the travel insurance will be astronomical once we reach 80. Never mind there are lots of lovely places in the U.K. for next year and it will help the economy.

jeanie99 Sat 23-May-20 10:45:33

We still haven't received our airfare back from Ryanair from early March.

Rosiebee Sat 23-May-20 11:02:18

We should have been in Canada from 3rd May. A trip of a lifetime inc a Gold Leaf upgrade on the Rocky Mountaineer. We booked through Trailfinders in Manchester, [brilliant service from Paul] who sorted all the flights, hotels, car hire, ferries, transfers etc. It cost over £9,000 and today we had every penny paid back into our account from Trailfinders.
We used them for many long haul trips and hope to do so again in the future. We didn't really expect everything back as it seems the Rocky Mountaineer only give back credit notes and that was quite a chunk of the cost of holiday. If you are looking to book a long haul with different destinations, cruises, activities etc I would totally recommend TF.

Sillymoo Sat 23-May-20 11:48:49

We are having trouble getting our cruise car parking money back from Holiday Extras despite having paid for cancellation cover. They are automatically giving vouchers and there is a Facebook group fighting for cash refunds.

Floradora9 Sat 23-May-20 21:36:36

We have " free " insurance through Nationwide with our bank account. We paid almost four hundred pounds excess to cover health problems and age in January . Insurance never been used and will not be used this year but they will not refund us a penny . A pro rata sum was all I had hoped for or for the excess to cover next year .

jeanie99 Wed 27-May-20 02:48:57

Three weeks parking no money back.

Flights no money back as yet although still hoping.

No money back for taxi fare over one hundred pounds, had to fly into another airport other than one our car was parked at.

Out of pocket expenses no money back from cruise company or agent when cruise didn't turn up.

Floradora9 Wed 27-May-20 14:46:10

We booked parking through ITISON and they have given us a credit note to cover the cost. The Aspire lounge at the airport also refunded us and eventually TUI did so only the insurance is still outstanding.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 27-May-20 15:07:23

We haven't received any refunds from Ryanair but we have made a claim through our credit cards and should get a refund soon.

cornergran Wed 27-May-20 15:10:10

Our insurer has offered a 50% refund. I had asked for it all, no harm in trying. It hadn’t occurred to me to request a refund until I read a Martin Lewis article so fairly pleased.