Gransnet forums

Travel

Adult only Hotels in UK

(22 Posts)
yorkie20 Mon 01-Jun-20 19:05:43

Anyone got any recommendations for holidays/short break adult only hotels in UK please. Would need to travel by train/public transport.
We have had some good/some bad holidays with Shearings and although they are not totally adult only it was rare for children to be in the hotels. Alas Shearings is no more....

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 01-Jun-20 19:41:46

Warner’s have adult only Hotels, with all food, games ( archery, shooting, pool, etc.) and entertainment included, usually in houses with some history. Reasonably priced with some themed long weekends.
We usually go with a few other people of our own age, we have a great time. You would probably need to get a train and then a local taxi to the Hotels.

Sussexborn Mon 01-Jun-20 19:56:07

Second Warrens. Lots of options if you enjoy taking part but no pressure to join in if you don’t. The food was good and the staff went out of the way to help.

MadCatWoman1 Mon 01-Jun-20 20:25:16

Warner Leisure. About 15 years ago, I stayed for a few days with a friend (I was her carer). The food was fantastic, the entertainment very good - but it was full of old people! I was 45 then, but everyone was 70-90 years old.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 03-Jun-20 09:54:06

Madcatwoman that’s why we go with a crowd of friends, there are a large number of old people, oh ! Wait ! so are we..............

JenniferEccles Mon 08-Jun-20 16:50:07

We called in to a Warners on the spur of the moment for Sunday lunch last summer when we had popped down to the south coast for the day.

Never again. Very downmarket, and had a feeling of a Butlins for the over 70s ! The lunch was awful, self service with very little choice of vegetables but it was cheap so I guess that’s why they are popular.

Yes it was child free so there were no screaming kids but honestly that was the only thing in it’s favour.

Good luck with your search but give Warners a miss.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 08-Jun-20 16:59:41

Holme Lacey in or near Hereford is very good, it’s a beautiful old house and grounds, also the Warner’s in Nottinghamshire, don’t go to the ones on Hayling Island. Look online and you will see the difference.

overthehill Mon 08-Jun-20 17:30:28

Our last holiday in March this year was to Bodelwyddan Hotel in Wales. This is a Warners Hotel but we booked with Shearings who took us there. We had a great time as we always do. So sad Shearings have gone under, we used them a lot

JuneM Sun 19-Jul-20 11:09:05

Here's a comprehensive list of UK Adults Only Hotels - I hope it helps you find your ideal adults only place.

Luckygirl Sun 19-Jul-20 12:03:56

The Scarlet Hotel in Cornwall is adults only. www.scarlethotel.co.uk/

Justwidowed Sun 19-Jul-20 12:06:31

Leger holidays have taken over Shearings and U K holidays are now on offer.

Tweedle24 Sun 19-Jul-20 12:15:32

My sister and I go to an adults only hotel in Egypt and enjoy it but, we discovered from other guests that ‘adults only’ can have connotations above and beyond ‘no children‘ in some places. This is, apparently, particularly so in Mexico, should you wish to go there.
You are, I imagine, quite safe in the UK but, be aware that in some countries, you might find yourself spinning a bottle.
The hotel in Egypt, by the way, is quite respectable.

Aldom Sun 19-Jul-20 12:34:12

I have stayed at Warner's, Holme Lacey. No complaints whatsoever. It was a good few years ago though.

GinJeannie Sun 19-Jul-20 12:44:16

Warner’s at Holme Lacey in Herefordshire and also Studley Castle in Worcestershire are both excellent and in beautiful countryside.

Teacheranne Sun 19-Jul-20 13:09:22

I went to Warners at Holme Lacey last year with a group of friends and was disappointed. Although some of the rooms had been renovated, many, including mine, were tatty and dirty. I had to ask for mine to be cleaned again as the windows and corners were full of cobwebs and dust!

The food was mediocre, not the high standard I was expecting with a limited choice. The hotel was quite full so on a rainy afternoon the bars and lounges were packed and there was no where to sit to buy lunch or have a coffee, we ended up sitting in our bedrooms. And as for the spa and pool, totally unlike the pictures in the brochure and again, needed a good clean.

The whole place was dated and tired looking, it needed money spending on it to modernise it. I paid over £400 for two nights with single supplement, so not cheap! I won't be going again.

Oopsminty Sun 19-Jul-20 13:13:08

We've been to one once. Never again.

Wasn't keen on the clientele

I am not a fan of noisy children but I'd prefer them to some of the loud adults we encountered

ninathenana Sun 19-Jul-20 13:28:38

Thoroughly reccomend Warner Hotels we have stayed with them many times and never had a bad experience

ninathenana Sun 19-Jul-20 13:32:47

Just to add it's not all "old people" I think the lower age is 25 and every time we've stayed there have been several 25-40 yr olds

Tweedle24 Sun 19-Jul-20 16:00:00

My late husband and I stayed several times in Warner’s Alveston Hall in Cheshire, both before and after it’s very expensive refurbishment, and loved it. The facilities for the disabled were particularly good. We were particularly impressed with the help and care given to a couple, the husband having been hospitalised with a heart problem while there.

JenniferEccles I think you were unlucky with the noisy clientele on that particular day and maybe another Warner hotel might be more to your liking,

trisher Sun 19-Jul-20 16:10:08

Warner hotels vary considerably. I've stayed at a few. Some were excellent some poor. If you want real comfort it's best to upgrade your room, and in some places ask for a historic room in the old building. I think if you choose an expensive hotel 4/5 star you are unlikely to be bothered by children anyway. And if you are you can complain loudly.

Luckygirl Sun 19-Jul-20 19:54:10

I live not far from Holme Lacey and went there for a lunch with friends - I honestly felt as though I was in a bog standard care home - the pedestals with antiseptic hand gel was a bit of a put off! This was years before coronavirus.

The Scarlet Hotel that I recommended is an "adult hotel" in the best possible taste!

Humbertbear Sun 19-Jul-20 23:00:58

It all depends what you want from a hotel but I suspect some of the luxury spa hotels are adults only. Ragdale Hall , for example, is a five star hotel with a wonderful spa. Breakfast is served in your room, with buffet lunch(well it used to be) and table service For dinner. It has beautiful grounds too. Sea ham Hall near Newcastle is on the coast. It might be worth exploring spa hotels. I have friends who regularly go to Warner’s and know others who have been once and say, never again. So you might need to try one and see. If you travel in school terms and mid week you should be fairly child free anywhere. How about a good hotel in the centre of a city? We travelled by train to Liverpool and had a great time.