Gransnet forums

Travel

Could you live on The World?

(33 Posts)
MellowYellow Thu 13-Aug-20 08:06:01

This ship intrigues me. As you may know it's home to some very wealthy people, who between them choose where it sails. Most use it for a few months a year but for some it's their permanent residence. I try to imagine what it would be like as a permanent home - I'd miss having trees and birds around me, even if I was visiting wonderful places. Given an extraordinary amount of wealth could you live on The World?

tanith Thu 13-Aug-20 08:13:25

Absolutely not I’d miss so much, family,driving,greenery and much more.

BlueBelle Thu 13-Aug-20 08:18:56

Good grief it would be my worst nightmare mixing with ver rich people day and night nah thanks I d rather mix with real folks ta

MellowYellow Thu 13-Aug-20 08:21:20

Ha ha, me too. But you'd be very rich yourself if you were there BlueBelle! grin

Kalu Thu 13-Aug-20 08:22:48

The first time I saw The World, I couldn’t believe the sheer size of it then thought about who would decide to live on a floating apartment. Whilst I would love to have had a look around on board, living on it or sailing on it doesn’t appeal to me at all. I would find it too stifling, likewise, cruising.

MellowYellow Thu 13-Aug-20 08:32:11

Yep, it's a giant Kalu!

Grandad1943 Thu 13-Aug-20 08:37:16

As all who are on "that thing" are very wealthy tax dodgers, it would not concern me if I read it has sunk tomorrow.

If money means so much to those people as to live a life such as that, I could not care less as to what happened to them.

Such a life would be totally repugnant to me.

TerriBull Thu 13-Aug-20 08:42:48

Don't know the programme, but from the posts and picture, it's obviously about a cruise liner. In the age of the virus, I would have thought such a vessel would be the last place anyone in their right mind would want to be contained in along with a gathering of people, rich or otherwise and no means of escape. One case of Covid and then the ship is stuck in dock and no one is allowed to disembark.

MellowYellow Thu 13-Aug-20 08:48:37

It's not a programme Terribull, nor a cruise liner, it's a private ship. It's currently anchored up and empty because of Covid.

TerriBull Thu 13-Aug-20 08:49:55

Okay, thank you MellowYellow, hadn't previously heard of it, maybe Google it sometime.

EllanVannin Thu 13-Aug-20 08:56:58

No thank you. I prefer the feet on terra firma.
Leave it to those who've got that much money that they don't know what to do with it.

Kalu Thu 13-Aug-20 08:59:59

The World is currently docked in Falmouth with no passengers on boards since mid March.

Grannynannywanny Thu 13-Aug-20 09:29:49

I wouldn’t say no to some of the wealth. But no thanks to the opulent lifestyle on the ship.
The ferry to Ireland would be just lovely for me.

MellowYellow Thu 13-Aug-20 09:33:11

Ditto the ferry to France for me Grannynannywanny. wink

annodomini Thu 13-Aug-20 09:48:41

Sounds like a nightmare to me, though a few £million would be nice if it would buy me a private jet. blush

henetha Thu 13-Aug-20 10:38:04

It appeals to me about as much as flying to Mars.

Auntieflo Thu 13-Aug-20 10:51:21

I think that was the cruise ship that I saw on one of the Devon and Cornwall programmes.
£12000.00 per suite was mentioned.

Juliet27 Thu 13-Aug-20 10:56:46

Think what some charities could do with one suite's worth.

Jane10 Thu 13-Aug-20 12:34:20

There was a woman who lived on the QE2. An odd sort of life. I enjoy cruising very much but only on smaller cruise ships. I wouldn't want to do it other than as a holiday break from real life

MellowYellow Thu 13-Aug-20 13:32:27

'An odd sort of life.' Yes, that's why The World intrigues me. I can't imagine wanting to put aside all the little things that matter to me for a life of luxury.

boodymum67 Thu 13-Aug-20 13:39:08

Yes, I absolutely would!

I have enjoyed a few cruises...I love the service, the food, the staterooms and everything else. There is so much to do on board. You could do a few months and take time ashore to visit friends and family.

So many replies here differ to mine, but each to his/her own and why not indeed?

If I ever found myself very rich, I would make sure others benefitted too...family and charity alike.

Jane10 Thu 13-Aug-20 13:39:45

I suppose it's like a timeshare in a way. Just having the same suite when you fancy a sail.

boodymum67 Thu 13-Aug-20 13:43:20

Addendum to above...Mellow Yellow and Ellan Vanin....we are talking cloud cuckoo land as I`ll never have the money to live such a life...covid or no! Besides my MS/wheelchair life prevents me from doing a lot of things. It`s nice to fantasize!

Callistemon Thu 13-Aug-20 14:38:44

I wonder why they named it The World?
Is that because the people who sail in her think they own the world?

I live in the world too, the real one.

utterbliss Thu 13-Aug-20 15:02:00

A suite costs 12 million dollars or 8 million pounds.