Gransnet forums

Travel

Spending time in Brittany, France

(16 Posts)
DaisyHelen Wed 19-Aug-20 10:55:03

Hello, I'd like to spend some time in Brittany in view of possibly moving there. I'm looking to stay at a place close to the sea, but also not too far away from a town offering cultural/educational events.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you!

Ellianne Wed 19-Aug-20 10:59:05

It's a huge region. Do you need transport links?

Grandmafrench Wed 19-Aug-20 11:01:58

As Ellianne says, it's a huge region. Why not have a word with people who live there, e.g. the forum United in Brittany?

EllanVannin Wed 19-Aug-20 11:21:26

I loved the place when I holidayed in Northern France. It does cover a large area and takes in years of history wherever yo happen to be. Personally I found Quimper to be such a beautiful part of Brittany with its old towns and the most beautiful gardens there. Beaches are quite near as is St.Malo .
This is the place I'd choose if I was thinking of living there.

geekesse Wed 19-Aug-20 11:25:20

There are some lovely villages around Malestroit - I used to live there. It’s about an hour due south of St Malo on good roads, and the scenery is a bit like the Cotswolds. It’s about half an hour from Vannes by car. The local microclimate is warmer than other parts of Brittany because of its location.

Ellianne Wed 19-Aug-20 12:03:39

Vannes is very beautiful geekesse. I taught at the lycée there and my French boyfriend was in the army! Warmer than the North Coast.

Fennel Wed 19-Aug-20 12:51:29

If you're considering buying a property in France, generally seaside properties are more expensive than inland.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 19-Aug-20 13:00:11

I loved St Michel-en-Greve on the north coast but beware of the squashy seaweed on the beach if it's still there. It may be caused by pollution and can cause illness.

I think the things you need to anticipate are the same in Britain. If you're by the coast property is more expensive and the place may be a ghost town in the winter as many will be second homes. Inland is cheaper but if you're in the middle of nowhere you could be very isolated with little or no public transport. What about healthcare, etc? There's a lot to think about.

DaisyHelen Sun 23-Aug-20 21:22:01

Thank you very much for your answers to my post and suggestions. I spent one week in St Malo and I liked the town and its surroundings, but I wonder how it will be in Winter time.
I had thought also about Vannes and Quimper as well as Brest. You are right lovebeigecardigans1955 about those seaweeds being caused by pollution from a factory nearby, they emit toxins that are dangerous.
I'm afraid public transport is not so good there and I had thought of taking my car over there

Jaxjacky Sun 23-Aug-20 21:39:01

There are numerous Facebook pages in the region, maybe join one of those to enquire for rental? I also suggest you familiarise yourself with a French law on residency, particularly your car which must be French registered after 6 months.

Ellianne Sun 23-Aug-20 21:41:45

I have lived in both Saint Malo and Vannes. They are lovely places. It is of course slightly warmer on the south coast. Both towns are still busy in winter though some of the restaurants close. Both have good bus services but a car gives you more freedom. You will need to re register it in France which is a bit tedious.
Brest is a large port, it is not very attractive.

Chardy Sun 23-Aug-20 21:46:13

I loved the south coast of Brittany.

LullyDully Mon 24-Aug-20 08:25:46

Benodet is a lovely town. Lots going on.

KentMike Sat 24-Oct-20 15:56:25

Great place so far. I hope you will enjoy there a lot.

biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 15:58:52

Well, you better get your skates on if you want to become elegible for the French Health system and all.

biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 16:30:48

Now that the UK leaves the EU, it has become a 'third country' - a country which is not a member of the EU. This means that from the end of the transition period​, and unless derogations are negotiated as part of the future relationship/trade agreement:

freedom of movement will end for British citizens;

you will no longer have the right to live in any EU country unless you go through the full immigration process as a third country national;

unless you have already become legally resident in France by the end of the transition period you will not be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement;
you will be treated exactly the same as nationals of the United States, Australia, Syria, Turkey, Bangladesh and most other non-EU countries, and you will become an étranger rather than a citizen of the EU;

if you want to stay more than 90 days in France you will have to apply for a long stay visa before you travel;
to become legally resident you will have to meet conditions that are in most cases stricter than those for EU citizens, and you may well be subject to language and other integration requirements. Some may not be able to meet these conditions.

Will not be able to benefit via from S1 for heatlhcare cover for retirees from EU to EU.