Gransnet forums

Travel

Listening to the waves with no regrets

(24 Posts)
lovingit Wed 21-Oct-20 13:10:46

Earlier this year(pre covid) I posted about my plans to spend winter in Spain.I had seen a wonderful apartment ,on the beach,in a quiet town.GN's were very supportive and gave some good advice.I signed the contract on March 1st!!

After a lot of soul searching I have gone ahead and honestly believe I am safer here than back home in manchester. I did bring my dog and although he is greatly lacking in conversational skills he is great company.We wake up to the sound of the waves and I watch the sun rising from my window. I love my little apartment and with technology I am able to chat with friends back in U.K. daily.

I had planned on having lots of visits from friends but the virus and quarantine put paid to that so it.s face time only although my son is coming from Poland for a few weeks. My pensioner gap time is proving very different from the original idea but with 70 looming I didnt feel I could delay it. Xmas and my 70th could just be me and my dog!!!
But I am loving it and so glad I took the plunge.

cornergran Wed 21-Oct-20 13:13:04

I’m pleased for you lovingit and just a little envious. Enjoy it all.

Lucca Wed 21-Oct-20 13:13:13

Well done you, I’m rather envious.

NfkDumpling Wed 21-Oct-20 13:30:58

It sounds like bliss lovingit. Send us a nice sunny picture. Its raining cats and dogs here and we've had to have the light on all day - in the sun room!

tickingbird Wed 21-Oct-20 13:32:48

Well done you. Very brave. So pleased you’re enjoying it; it sounds divine. I love the sound of the sea too.

EllanVannin Wed 21-Oct-20 13:35:21

Anywhere is better than here right now. Make the most of it, you've done the right thing.

It's damp and miserable here---in more ways than one grin

GrannyGravy13 Wed 21-Oct-20 13:49:49

Enjoy your pensioner gap year lovingit Spain is a beautiful country with beautiful friendly people.

Callistemon Wed 21-Oct-20 14:01:07

It sounds lovely.
I wish I'd extended my gap three months and stayed in Australia.

Lollin Wed 21-Oct-20 14:09:24

I honestly feel you made a good choice. Relax and enjoy your stay.

Astral Wed 21-Oct-20 14:14:47

That sounds amazing honestly, good for you. Most of my relationships are down to just online chat now and not seen some friends for months. Glad you can ride this out somewhere peaceful

biba70 Thu 22-Oct-20 18:02:26

Enjoy - solitude can be wonderful in its own way.

70 for me soon too, but in Feb. In the Alps at the moment, gorgeous autumn colours and snow capped mountains all around. x

silverlining48 Thu 22-Oct-20 18:17:20

We are just back indoors from a lovely day at the seaside. A warm autumn day (for us) with the sun shining, and some brave folk enough to have a swim in the sea.
We are home now, it’s chilly and tomorrow the weather is set to change again. Enjoy your holiday I wish I was there.

Riverwalk Thu 22-Oct-20 19:10:46

I'm very envious and love that you took your dog!

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 22-Oct-20 20:06:33

Good for you, so pleased you are having a good time.

If it wasn’t for the need for medication, hospital visits etc. We would be very tempted to do the same.

Enjoy!

lovingit Fri 23-Oct-20 12:38:56

I have been here 3 weeks now and feeling quite happy with my decision. I am lucky that I enjoy the bliss of solitude and can spend hours doing very little! Having my dog with me was essential,I can do without humans living with me but not my dog.Other dog lovers will understand.
I dont have a car here so it,s been footpower to explore.Cafes are used to dogs so lots of stops for coffee I eat out most days and Keith,my dog, has taken well to cafe life and lies happily under the table watching the world go by.
After living in a victorian semi the apartment felt very small but I love it!! I am selling up when I go home and now I know that downsizing won,t be a problem.

Alegrias2 Fri 23-Oct-20 13:01:13

So pleased for you lovingit, you are making me jealous smile. Now I'm thinking about a post-COVID visit to Spain....

I love that your dog is called Keith. My DSIL has a chihuahua called Colin!

Patsy70 Fri 23-Oct-20 14:09:27

It sounds idealic, lovingit, and so much more relaxing than being here in the UK at the moment. I am so looking forward to visiting Estepona, where my sister lives, as soon as it is ok to travel. Have the best time. sunshine

KentMike Sat 24-Oct-20 15:55:13

I hope you are passing a great time so far. Because listening to the wave sitting over the bank is really interesting. I like it.

Sparkling Tue 17-Nov-20 06:58:11

It sounds a lot nicer than here, well done, lovely having Keith with you too.

DanniRae Tue 17-Nov-20 07:07:43

So pleased to hear that you are happy in Spain and I loved reading about your life - especially the bit about waking up to the sound of waves!
Keep us up to date from time to time, please. Maybe some photos too? smile

mumofmadboys Tue 17-Nov-20 07:08:42

You were brave going by yourself. So glad it is working out so well. Enjoy this special time.

Nortsat Tue 17-Nov-20 07:19:10

Well done, good decision...

So pleased you are enjoying it. I am sure Keith is enjoying it too.

Davidhs Tue 17-Nov-20 08:00:54

Best of luck, you are very daring, although Manchester is not wonderful at present and I’m sure there is an expat community in you town. Hope your Spanish language skills are good!.

Auntieflo Tue 17-Nov-20 09:26:38

I feel quite envious of you and your new life in Spain.
Well done for taking the plunge and living the dream, and Keith sounds a great companion.