Gransnet forums

Travel

No quarantine on returning from Amber countries coming soon

(34 Posts)
B9exchange Thu 17-Jun-21 00:02:09

According to tomorrow's Telegraph, at the review on 28th June, it will be decided when travellers can return from amber countries with no need to quarantine if double vaccinated, and children probably exempt.

We have just cancelled out holiday to Croatia on 2nd July, where numbers are very low, because of the quarantine and travel insurance problems. It remains to be seen what they say about FCO advice, because if that is still essential travel only, then you can't get travel insurance. If it turns out we could have actually have gone after all, all my battles trying to get a refund out of the accommodation and BA might have been for nothing!

tanith Thu 17-Jun-21 07:52:16

My daughter will be very happy if it happens she will be able to go on her holiday, rebooked from last year, in August not sure about her unvaccinated 16 yr old though.

B9exchange Thu 17-Jun-21 09:57:29

According to the Telegraph, they thought children would be exempt.

We are now caught, we were going to Croatia, cancelled because we couldn't get travel insurance, so applied for a refund from BA, who are still sitting on it. Now it seems the FCO advice is going to change in July, so we could have gone, which means we are not entitled to a refund. I suppose we might get a voucher, but were hoping to use the money for the holiday we have now booked in this country!

Callistemon Thu 17-Jun-21 10:04:08

BA have never been keen to give refunds, giving vouchers instead.
If the vouchers from last year were used to buy a holiday this year which has been cancelled, they should re-issue them.

As you cancelled in good faith at a time when you couldn't get insurance etc and then the rules change later, they should issue vouchers at the least.

I'm not sure if they will refund money but you could persist.

maddyone Thu 17-Jun-21 10:51:53

I’ll be very pleased if this comes about as we’re booked to go to Zakinthos in September. We’ve both been fully vaccinated, I’ve chosen fairly isolated accommodation, a detached holiday house, and I’m not nervous about flying now we’re vaccinated as we’ll be wearing masks and sanitising. We went to Kefalonia last September too, pre vacccinations, and found at that time of year, the airports were not at all crowded. It will be nice for us if we don’t have to isolate at home after our holiday, but we are happy to do it if necessary.

ExD Thu 17-Jun-21 10:58:45

Oh dear, they moved the goalposts again.
Did you pay by card? Can you explore that route for a cash refund?
It'll be refunded to your card meaning you will have a card loaded with that amount, so you will have £xxx to spend on card bills until its used up.
So no actual cash in your pocket.

Ellianne Thu 17-Jun-21 11:18:16

That would be a bit mean to the younger generation who won't be double jabbed until end of August/September. They are the ones who really need to go abroad in the summer.

B9exchange Thu 17-Jun-21 11:24:15

I think BA must be Gransnet readers, they have just sent an email saying I will get my refund in a week or so! It will go back on my card, but as I will be using that card for our Scottish holiday, summer is looking up!

maddyone Thu 17-Jun-21 11:40:30

Ellianne

That would be a bit mean to the younger generation who won't be double jabbed until end of August/September. They are the ones who really need to go abroad in the summer.

I agree with this, although we have booked to go away. Young people can still go, but they would need to isolate for ten days upon their return. Obviously some will not be able to, I realise that, but this would be part of a process, leading to more freedom for everyone.
I think the travel industry needs a boost, otherwise many companies may fold, leading to many redundancies. The government needs to support the travel industry.

B9exchange Thu 17-Jun-21 12:10:43

Children will be exempt according to the report. It will put pressure on the over 18s to get the jabs if they want a foreign holiday.

Ellianne Thu 17-Jun-21 12:45:37

Yes, just a shame our adult children aren't due their second jab until the end of August, which with 2 being teachers means they can't go abroad. I guess that's life, but once again it does irritate me that younger people miss out. The children, all under 10s, will hopefully be just as happy holidaying in the UK weather permitting!

Callistemon Thu 17-Jun-21 14:16:27

B9exchange

I think BA must be Gransnet readers, they have just sent an email saying I will get my refund in a week or so! It will go back on my card, but as I will be using that card for our Scottish holiday, summer is looking up!

Good news!
My family had no such luck, just vouchers transferring over from year to year.

BlueBelle Thu 17-Jun-21 14:38:10

Personal thoughts only, but I don’t think we should be happening at all I d far rather get back to some kind of normality in this country and forget holidays outside U.K. until next year
Surely young people will be glad to get back to their festivals and holidays or days out in this country and leave the travelling for another year I know my grandkids who were expecting to go overseas will wait till they re fully vaccinated and will use this year to boost up the economy here
It all seems back to front to me but then it always has

Summerlove Thu 17-Jun-21 19:02:29

Ellianne

I agree. It should Be everyone or no one. It’s not the younger people faults they weren’t eligible to get the vaccine at the same time.

Wait for your vaccine to protect the vulnerable so they can go on holiday.

It rankles

maddyone Thu 17-Jun-21 23:34:41

It was announced on the evening news that people from age 18 can book their vaccine appointments from tomorrow. Hopefully that will make the problem re the younger members of society redundant fairly soon.

Ellianne Fri 18-Jun-21 06:40:53

That's good. They should be able to go off to uni double jabbed then.

Katie59 Fri 18-Jun-21 07:05:38

Maybe we won’t have to quarantine on return but many countries have travel restrictions still and will still want us to be tested, with a family that is expensive.
Yesterday I was chatting to my partners daughter with kids at secondary school, Covid is rife in local schools, far worse than last year. With a high proportion of the population in the UK vaccinated it probably won’t be a problem, other countries with less vaccination will be cautious about this Delta variant that we have.

Theoddbird Sun 20-Jun-21 11:51:26

Madness to leave the UK this year. Plus hospitality in our own country is desperate for support.

Gaunt47 Sun 20-Jun-21 11:58:59

Don't forget any restrictions that are lifted, can be reimposed by our power-crazy government at short notice. We have seen this happen many times during the past year.

1summer Sun 20-Jun-21 12:25:18

I appreciate that we need to support the hospitality industry in this country but its been a bit frustrating to find a decent holiday cottage for a forthcoming holiday. We looked at some lodges where we have stayed in previous years, I understand that they need to recoup some losses but we were quoted over £3000 for a week when previously we paid in the region of £1400. They all seem very expensive. It’s annoying as if we could go abroad my niece lets us have her apartment in Spain for next to nothing and flights only £150 each. No competition if we could go!

Susieq62 Sun 20-Jun-21 12:43:35

I just think we all need to be patient, holiday in UK and give things time to calm down! I won’t be taking any risks of booking overseas visits for this year! We go away quite a bit but holding fire until more are vaccinated and this new strain is under more control

Blackcat3 Sun 20-Jun-21 12:46:17

The sensible approach would be don’t book a holiday in the midst of a PANDEMIC, then you won’t have to come on here and whinge about the problems that arise due to goalposts moving!

KathrynP Sun 20-Jun-21 12:55:15

My granddaughters aged 22 & 23 have their tests booked for 24th June but are booking several long weekends away over the summer and are quite happy with that. They say it is a great opportunity to explore their own country. I live in a Devon seaside town. In our little courtyard there are 3 lovely holiday homes with parking 200 yds from the beach and I was surprised one of them was empty last week!

Ellianne Sun 20-Jun-21 12:56:26

Blackcat3

The sensible approach would be don’t book a holiday in the midst of a PANDEMIC, then you won’t have to come on here and whinge about the problems that arise due to goalposts moving!

I agree Blackcat, we all need to accept things can change and will be different for at least a year. Prices, restrictions, availability etc.

LovelyLady Sun 20-Jun-21 13:07:32

I agree with Theoddbird.
Who would risk going abroad just now. Madness is all around.
*Just thought I’d mention this - There is a little disk that can be bought on line to determine if there’s enough carbon dioxide in rooms. This will be ideal for teachers and office users. I know some schools are not keeping windows open as we are instructed by the health advisors. Precious pupils evidently get cold.