Gransnet forums

Travel

Travel to Mexico- and other long haul holidays to exotic locations...

(22 Posts)
Kali2 Thu 05-Aug-21 22:05:38

watching news, and honestly I find it difficult to be sympathetic to anyone being caught out in the Mexico return debacle.

maddyone Thu 05-Aug-21 22:25:16

I’m amazed that Mexico wasn’t on the red list before. I wouldn’t have gone to Mexico under the present situation anyway, actually I’m not sure Mexico would be on my ‘must visit’ list without Covid, but it certainly wouldn’t be now.

Esspee Thu 05-Aug-21 22:50:47

No sympathy from me either.

tanith Thu 05-Aug-21 23:40:18

I’ve no sympathy either it was on the cards to go red.

B9exchange Fri 06-Aug-21 00:04:18

If you were flying out to visit your family that you hadn't seen since before lockdown, and Mexico went red whilst you were on the flight, which has happened to some, would you still have no sympathy?

GagaJo Fri 06-Aug-21 00:15:04

B9exchange, if I had flown half-way round the world, knowing the risks, and was with family in my destination, I would accept my fate and hang on until able to travel to fly again.

For those in employment, most employers would have made employees aware of their circumstances if they were unable to return on time. I have friends overseas who want to come home to visit family, they have been told in no uncertain terms, if you can't get back to work, you won't get paid.

I do sympathise. I was in their position all of last year. I couldn't risk coming home because I knew I may not be able to return to work overseas.

vegansrock Fri 06-Aug-21 06:05:06

I do feel sorry for the couple who’d booked a honeymoon in Mexico over 2 years ago, before Covid was a thing, had the wedding postponed twice, finally got married a week ago, were told honeymoon still on, now find themselves having to turn round and come home!

silverlining48 Fri 06-Aug-21 07:10:59

Not a lot of sympathy. Travel for whatever reason is a risk. Hence we havnt booked a holiday or visited our dd abroad for 2 years.

The honeymoon couple could have had a short uk honeymoon and rebooked Mexico, but they decided to take a chance.
I know others who have cancelled, twice, hoping it will be third time lucky ? in 2022.

MawBe Fri 06-Aug-21 07:13:27

Not surprised they were disappointed, but disappointed anybody was surprised

Lincslass Fri 06-Aug-21 08:34:50

Really can’t understand why anyone would travel far during a worldwide pandemic, , not really any sympathy.

Kim19 Fri 06-Aug-21 08:42:39

Not so much sympathy as bewilderment. Why does anyone go on these trips KNOWING FULL WELL that the chances of it being curtailed are high on a daily basis? My mind boggles and I'm much too lazy/mean to risk such inconvenience. I 'd do a lot for a holiday right now but not that much. Can't be stupidity. Is it bravado? Yikes.

Kali2 Fri 06-Aug-21 08:54:56

GagaJo

B9exchange, if I had flown half-way round the world, knowing the risks, and was with family in my destination, I would accept my fate and hang on until able to travel to fly again.

For those in employment, most employers would have made employees aware of their circumstances if they were unable to return on time. I have friends overseas who want to come home to visit family, they have been told in no uncertain terms, if you can't get back to work, you won't get paid.

I do sympathise. I was in their position all of last year. I couldn't risk coming home because I knew I may not be able to return to work overseas.

Well yes, and you were only a very short flight or train/coach/car ride away- not across the world.

Galaxy Fri 06-Aug-21 09:15:01

I think people have different attitudes to risk and I think that's fine. I would absolutely have gone abroad this year but dh didnt want to. I would have accepted the risks of having to quarantine.

GagaJo Fri 06-Aug-21 10:53:53

Yes Galaxy, like my friend who said she'd take the risk to go to Spain and then caught covid and ran out of money while there, because she didn't have enough to pay for extended hotel time plus all the extra tests until she tested negative and could fly home.

The only risk she'd factored in was isolating when she got home. Never considered getting stuck at her destination. Thankfully she didn't need medical attention there.

Lillie Fri 06-Aug-21 10:59:10

its all to do with the data and the data changes at the drop of a hat
travellers do not know what is in store with the data changes neither does the government

i would only be prepared to go to europe and no further

maddyone Fri 06-Aug-21 11:29:02

I do feel sympathy for the people in this situation. Despite saying up thread that I wouldn’t have travelled to Mexico, it doesn’t mean I don’t feel sorry about these people stuck in this terrible situation. I especially feel for the couple who have just got married, obviously they were badly advised about their honeymoon. They would have been better advised to take a honeymoon in Britain,or even one of the European destinations that are accepting British travellers, and postponing their Mexico trip until later.

vegansrock Fri 06-Aug-21 11:32:05

I think the honeymooners already paid for the honeymoon and had the date changed twice and then told it was going ahead and they’d loose all the money if they didn’t go. May be their insurance will pay out, but insurance companies will try to wriggle out of it by saying they could have stayed.

Lillie Fri 06-Aug-21 11:36:28

maddyone I see kindness coming through on this page now
why are we brits so unsympatheic initially
i said before no one has a crystal ball regarding the data

maddyone Fri 06-Aug-21 11:36:42

Unfortunately the insurance is unlikely to pay out for their hotel quarantine when they arrive back. What a terrible situation for them.

Galaxy Fri 06-Aug-21 12:03:15

I am much more likely to catch covid doing my job gagajo so yes Iwould have factored in that risk.

TeddyBear84 Wed 11-Aug-21 15:05:33

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Ro60 Wed 11-Aug-21 17:48:15

Really Teddy? Peace of mind because? Please explain. He can still get covid, St. Kitts have severe storms, what about family?