Gransnet forums

Travel

Bedroom cushions - comfort or clutter?

(40 Posts)
SqueezedMiddleG Mon 13-Sep-21 21:19:28

I've been fortunate enough to stay at two very good UK hotels recently. On both occasions the bed was covered in colourful cushions. Why do two people need 6 or 8 cushions? 1 or 2 I can understand but the others are just clutter that has to take up space somewhere in the room. Does anyone find them useful?

NotTooOld Mon 13-Sep-21 21:21:55

Clutter! They do sometimes look nice but I can't see why they would be needed. After all, what are the pillows for?

Tea3 Mon 13-Sep-21 21:32:24

Clutter.

Josianne Mon 13-Sep-21 21:39:07

I have no idea what they are for, but I have just had a visitor staying. When I went in to strip the bed afterwards, they had taken an extra 2 cushions off bedroom chairs to add to the 4 pillows I had supplied.

NanKate Mon 13-Sep-21 21:43:24

Can’t stand them and don’t know what to do with them, other than chucking the out if the window. ?

VioletSky Mon 13-Sep-21 21:43:52

I have a beanbag for when I want to be leaned up in bed watching the TV. Its great for my back. Pillows never acheived any comfort that way and I think they are just for decoration but it seems annoying and a waste of monsy to me.

I'd really love one of those beds that tilt though, especially as I have reflux but they look fiddly for bedding etc and sharing a bed

Grannynannywanny Mon 13-Sep-21 21:47:12

I really dislike them in hotel bedrooms and doubt very much that they are laundered between guests. I always remove them on arrival and put them in the wardrobe.

Jaxjacky Mon 13-Sep-21 21:51:06

Clutter, we’re in a hotel now, I’m pleased there aren’t any.

Greyduster Mon 13-Sep-21 22:40:34

Clutter. Hate them - totally surplus to requirements and never anywhere to put them.

Teacheranne Mon 13-Sep-21 22:44:31

Dirty, dusty clutter and always put in the wardrobe on arrival, together with any over throw. I think some hotels removed them as part of Covid measures but I guess they are creeping back. What purpose do they serve!

Msida Mon 13-Sep-21 22:57:37

Both

CanadianGran Mon 13-Sep-21 23:13:01

I agree mostly clutter. We do have 2 pillows each. I use both when reading, and then push one onto the floor when ready to sleep. DH uses his second one for under his knees (he has back issues).

DillytheGardener Mon 13-Sep-21 23:22:44

I have four pillows and 4 cushions on my bed. I like to sit up and read in my bed, and for me it’s cosy and comfortable.they are removed and put on the bench seat at the end of my bed when I’m ready for lights out.

Esspee Mon 13-Sep-21 23:26:20

In hotels I always assume previous guests have simply thrown them onto the floor and that they are dirty. They are either piled up on a chair or put into the wardrobe.
I wish hotels would stop doing this.

Kim19 Tue 14-Sep-21 01:16:59

Can't stand them. Remove them immediately on arrival at any accommodation.

Hetty58 Tue 14-Sep-21 01:39:43

Clutter - and annoying!

ninathenana Tue 14-Sep-21 08:29:51

I don't understand people who have them in their own home. Why "decorate" the bed ? who sees it ?

Chardy Tue 14-Sep-21 08:45:07

I always assumed they were ornamental. The idea that other hotel guests prop themselves up on them in bed, but they're not cleaned, is gross. I knew they'd often be on the floor. Someone on TV said this week that they never touch a hotel bedroom carpet with their bare feet. Hygiene!
And if I need extra pillows at home, I buy extra pillows.

DanniRae Tue 14-Sep-21 12:02:49

Definitely clutter - I never make my bed until it has been aired for a few hours and sometimes I only make it when I am going to get into it blush so any fancy cushions would spend most of their time on the floor.

MayBee70 Tue 14-Sep-21 12:19:31

VioletSky

I have a beanbag for when I want to be leaned up in bed watching the TV. Its great for my back. Pillows never acheived any comfort that way and I think they are just for decoration but it seems annoying and a waste of monsy to me.

I'd really love one of those beds that tilt though, especially as I have reflux but they look fiddly for bedding etc and sharing a bed

Me too! Both me and the dog love our beanies. I only got one because I had a leather sofa that was very slippy leather and cushions just slipped off but I wouldn’t be without my beanie now. I even take it with me if I go away.

JaneJudge Tue 14-Sep-21 12:44:33

ninathenana

I don't understand people who have them in their own home. Why "decorate" the bed ? who sees it ?

Their dogs and cats? grin

toscalily Tue 14-Sep-21 13:12:07

They always seem to add or have extra cushions when they do these makeover programmes, can you imagine the minutes adding up to hours of your life wasted taking half a dozen off and putting them back every morning? Dust magnets and really not very hygienic in hotels.

Blossoming Tue 14-Sep-21 13:19:17

I use them to support the partially paralysed bits, especially my shoulder which has been known to dislocate if not supported. I also use them to stop me from rolling onto the dodgy side. I just love being surrounded by comfy cushions really grin

Grannynannywanny Tue 14-Sep-21 13:33:30

I wouldn’t be bothered having them at home but each to their own. But I really dislike them in a hotel bedroom ever since I arrived in a 4* hotel room where the the lovely fresh white bed linen was adorned with a variety of patterned cushions and there was a revolving smell of someone’s sweaty head from them ! At least I think it was their head ?

They aren’t going to be laundered in between guests and to me that’s no better than leaving the same bedlinen on the beds between guests.

Josianne Tue 14-Sep-21 13:58:52

JaneJudge

ninathenana

Their dogs and cats? grin

We won't go into what the dogs usually do with cushions!

My puppy regularly has two or three out in the garden and tears about with them.