Gransnet forums

Travel

Stuck in South Africa

(46 Posts)
Nonogran Sun 28-Nov-21 21:29:24

My SiL is stuck in Johannesburg unable to get home. Anyone else with family in a similar predicament?
He was visiting his very poorly Dad when the flights shut down. Can’t even fly via Prague where his brother resides.
How do families manage all the extra expense involved? For example, his eventual quarantine at Heathrow is estimated at £2500.

Jaxjacky Sun 28-Nov-21 21:45:55

Not family Nonogran but we have a friend out there on holiday with his daughter. I honestly don’t know even when they’ll get back, he’s retired, she works.

Sallym Tue 30-Nov-21 05:28:34

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 30-Nov-21 06:18:24

Makes a mockery of flight rules from SA doesn’t it? Fly to another country and then come into the U.K. and spread Covid.
Way to go Sallym.

BlueBelle Tue 30-Nov-21 06:20:03

Message deleted by Gransnet. Refers to deleted post

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 30-Nov-21 06:22:45

The NHS isn’t there to provide travellers with ‘free’ PCR tests!

I think the NHS has better things to spend their (our) money on.

Katie59 Tue 30-Nov-21 07:53:28

Oopsadaisy1

The NHS isn’t there to provide travellers with ‘free’ PCR tests!

I think the NHS has better things to spend their (our) money on.

No, but the cost of private testing is chaos when we came back from Germany the cost varied from £25 up to £150. It’s clear some companies are a rip off, in addition why have postal tests when there is a test centre in every town, paying a fee for local testing saves a lot of hassle.

MayBeMaw Tue 30-Nov-21 08:12:20

This may be unpopular but I think too many people have made the assumption that just because something is within the bounds of legal travel, it is also advisable. I have every sympathy with those visiting sick relatives- but weren’t we all in that same boat even within the U.K just 18 months ago?
Do you remember the holidaymakers “stuck” in Mexico just after travel restrictions lifted and were then reimposed?
It shocks me to hear of people blatantly trying to get round safety precautions which are there to protect the rest of us, so sorry * SallyM* what you suggest sounds ill-advised not to say dodgy.
You can’t cheat the virus and anybody holidaying on another continent with presumably the means for a long haul flight, will just have to factor in the extra expense of testing - or put off going until it is safe.

silverlining48 Tue 30-Nov-21 08:48:12

We havnt seen our dd for over 2 years and havnt had a holiday for nearly 3 years. I am not happy of course, who doesn’t want to see family/have a holiday,?
I have little sympathy for those who get caught by new COVID rules; we all know there are risks involved in foreign travel.

Grannybags Tue 30-Nov-21 08:52:35

MayBeMaw ??

Aveline Tue 30-Nov-21 08:55:40

Sallym angry

MerylStreep Tue 30-Nov-21 08:57:58

Message deleted by Gransnet. Quotes deleted post

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 30-Nov-21 09:08:01

I’m shocked at Sallym’s post and am surprised GN haven’t taken it down. It’s really sad for those who were expecting to see family for Christmas of course and I have every sympathy for them but if people are prepared to go to these lengths what hope do any of us have for a normal Christmas?

Barmeyoldbat Tue 30-Nov-21 09:18:51

I agree with Maw on her post, why on earth would anyone want to travel anywhere abroad unless it was absolutely necessary I have no sympathy.

GagaJo Tue 30-Nov-21 09:27:33

Barmeyoldbat

I agree with Maw on her post, why on earth would anyone want to travel anywhere abroad unless it was absolutely necessary I have no sympathy.

I'm with you. I worked abroad for two years, until June this year and got stuck overseas. I missed birthdays, Christmas etc due to flight cancellations, quarantine restrictions. The country I was in had a large rate of infection brought in by people lying, saying they were travelling for work, actually for holidays and then doing a runner when they found out they were positive and supposed to quarantine. Thus, spreading the infection.

Travel if you must (work or emergencies) but idiots like the one above, trying to hack the rules, are selfish. IF you travel, you risk getting stuck. And you accept the costs incurred.

A woman in one of the support groups I was in when I was trying to get home was bemoaning the fact that she caught covid in Spain and wasn't allowed to fly home until she tested negative again. She ran out of money and was angry about it. She'd taken the risk and gone on holiday. Another idiot.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 30-Nov-21 09:44:55

I couldn’t agree more GJ.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 30-Nov-21 09:56:47

Today marks two years since I have not left the U.K. either to visit family or for a holiday.

Last year I suffered from cabin fever desperate to get away, missing AS who was living/working in a red list African country, now the longer I haven’t been away the less I have the urge

We are fortunate that AS relocated back to U.K. a few months ago, but honestly cannot see when we shall be able to visit relatives in Australia.

Anyone taking the risk of travelling abroad for whatever reason in these Covid times should be prepared for the inevitability of quarantine restrictions, flight upheaval etc.

Aveline Tue 30-Nov-21 10:09:14

My son in law is South African. He's so home sick. He really missed the sun. However, his family and job are now here. It's easier for his Mum to come and visit than SiL, DD and DGSs to go there.
Luckily his Mum came over in October and returned two weeks ago. Life isn't easy for anyone. Foreign holidays are luxuries we're all doing without these days.
Glad that post was deleted but it did demonstrate how some people think.

grannyqueenie Tue 30-Nov-21 10:21:26

Good post MayBeMaw

Marydoll Tue 30-Nov-21 10:27:54

I agree with Maw's post.
My vulnerable sister in law went to visit her son in London, as she was missing him. However, my nephew is quite reckless and has already had a few holidays abroad this year and is forever posting pictures of his very busy social life.
I messaged her the other day to see how she was getting on in London, to discover she she is now in Paris!! angry. She obviously didn't tell me because I would have advised her not to go- They needed a treat!. I am raging at how irresponsible she has been, as she has had severe bowel problems this year and been in and out of hospital.

We have spent the last two years since her husband's death, supporting her and are her only relatives here in Scotland , apart from her brother, whom she has fallen out with. I have had enough of her antics!

FarNorth Tue 30-Nov-21 10:52:06

I suppose for some people, doing whatever they can to evade restrictions, or even just taking full advantage of what is permitted, makes them feel as if they are more in control of the situation - even tho they aren't.

theworriedwell Tue 30-Nov-21 10:57:00

Just listened to Simon Calder on BBC. He said it is legal to fly to another country (he suggested Egypt) spend 10 days there and then fly to UK. I suppose that works out cheaper than the 10 days in a UK hotel for isolation.

Still involves expense and a ten day break between SA and UK but he said it is a legal option. Not sure if it is fair to Egypt!

Lucca Tue 30-Nov-21 11:03:24

Oh dear I’ll be one of those for whom you all have no sympathy then.
I planned about a month ago to spend Christmas with an old friend in Italy . Was that stupid ? Didn’t seem so at the time.

I don’t know how much money I’ll lose if I can’t go. Things are very unclear at the moment re quarantining etc

Hetty58 Tue 30-Nov-21 11:03:40

I know somebody who is there - and intends to stay there until circumstances change, despite missing Christmas with her family. It's just a risk we take if we travel abroad.

Smileless2012 Tue 30-Nov-21 11:09:30

That's a shame nonogran so difficult if there's a elderly relative whose ill that you desperately want to see.

It's a risk Lucca. If you're unable to go because of Covid wont your insurance cover it?

We haven't seen our son for 2 years because he's in Aus. Miss him terribly but as we're not nationals, we couldn't go to Perth anyway. I wouldn't take the risk ATM even if we could go.