Gransnet forums

Travel

Travel Insurance

(19 Posts)
Bluesmum Fri 04-Mar-22 11:48:01

I thought discrimination on age was illegal these days? Why then are holiday insurance companies allowed to limit the period they will cover me for (aged 80) is three months? Due to the cost of flights and the whole palava you have to go to now to get a visa to visit family in Australia, I wanted to go for a minimum of 6 months but cannot get insurance to cover that period! It’s not that is it expensive, they just point blank refuse to cover me based on my age and what they call “serious health Issue” ie high blood pressure kept under control with medication! I know a lot of people far, far younger than me who are nowhere near as active, fit and healthy as me, yet I am being discriminated against. In order to get my visa, I have to travel to London or Manchester to have a very thorough medical health examination, including urine and blood tests and X-rays at a clinic approved and appointed by the Australian immigration Dept, and if I pass, and there is no reason to think I won’t, they will grant me a visa so I obviously am a very low risk. Surely this discrimination cannot be right?

Calendargirl Fri 04-Mar-22 13:19:09

I suppose because of your proposed length of stay, plus your age and medical conditions, Australia are not too keen on having you come over.

A shorter visit might not be so restrictive.

Humbertbear Fri 04-Mar-22 17:54:02

All insurance is based on age and health eg life insurance and driving insurance. It’s a strange quirk but if you control your
blood pressure or cholesterol with medication you are penalised by higher insurance costs. You are more fortunate than my husband who cannot get travel insurance at all. But I don’t quite understand why you have to have have a medical to get a visa?

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 04-Mar-22 18:23:06

I thought you only needed a Medical if you are applying to live in Australia? or is it because you are staying so long?
MrOops has various quite serious medical conditions and apart from Travel Insurance no Medical was needed when he went to Perth.

LOUISA1523 Fri 04-Mar-22 19:01:12

On a month long trip to Canada in 2019....my Mums travel insurance ( she was 83 at the time) cost 3 times less than mine ( i was 54) ..... I was deemed more of a risk ( previous cancer diagnosis) ...than her

Shandy57 Mon 07-Mar-22 16:42:16

After my horrible experience trying to claim the amount needed to replace my roof, I have no confidence in any insurance company.

I was rushing earlier today to book the last two seats on a flight and got to the insurance part - it said 'if you are over 64 click here'. I did, and it didn't work! Tried again and it did work, thankfully - I've had to pay £2 more.

Party4 Mon 07-Mar-22 16:58:41

After having my holiday insurance cancelled with complete refund, 3wks prior to lockdown announcement.I am so stressed at now considering applying for insurance especially when I declare having had my 4th vax due to being immunosuppressed.I have not seen a GP for 2 yrs,my 12wk blood tests have been sound and I have remained stable on my medication and had covid not been around would have been taken off them by now. My DH worked in education and we longed for the day when we could travel out of school hols with the chance of some good late deals.I am aware company's share their information and many trade under different names so I dread completing health questionnaire to then be refused.All life's dreams and bucket lists halted before they even commenced.

Floradora9 Tue 08-Mar-22 16:39:46

30 days is usually the time you can leave your house empty nothing to do with age .

Lucca Tue 08-Mar-22 16:47:42

Has anyone got travel insurance when they have cancer ??

Georgesgran Tue 08-Mar-22 17:11:40

Can I also ask a question?
Should I have to go onto medication during the lifetime of my policy, do I inform the insurance provider immediately?

Party4 Fri 08-Apr-22 22:20:17

Answer to your question GGran is yes,also need to inform of any investigations pending.

In unfortunate situation when claim is submitted the company requests all medical history from GP. any information not declared gives the company good reason for none payment.
Happened to a friend who failed to declare being prescribed regular medication for reflux

Tusue Fri 08-Apr-22 22:31:18

I am aghast at the price of travel insurance once any of us reach an age the insurance company presume makes us a risk.
Surely someone who is aware they have a condition and take prescribed medication with no ill effects is less of a risk than someone younger and blindly unaware they have high blood pressure or something else but as soon as you reach 70+ they just quadruple the premium.
My husband is on medication due to a familial condition -he was put on medication just in case, he has low cholesterol,low blood pressure and has never had an problems due to his “condition” but once declared to insurance companies they think of a number and add a zero to any quote, we are nearly at the point of giving up on foreign travel due to the high premiums.

Campervanner Fri 08-Apr-22 23:25:37

Yes Trusue one would think that if you are being treated with meds to prevent a problem you are lower risk.

Esspee Sat 09-Apr-22 00:03:05

Curiously the questionnaire you fill in for travel insurance (and every company I contacted had the same questionnaire) does not ask whether you have had Covid vaccinations. I thought that would be the most likely reason for me being hospitalised during my vacation as otherwise I am in good health.

MissAdventure Sat 09-Apr-22 00:12:32

Macmillan can often suggest insurance companies.

I wish I knew the name of the one my daughter found, though, because they only charged a smallish amount for her to travel.

westendgirl Mon 27-Jun-22 16:25:35

Looking for new travel insurance I am appalled at the huge difference since the lock down.
Mine has doubled and is now so expensive that I dont think ~I can visit friends in France.
Any advice ?

Floradora9 Mon 27-Jun-22 21:33:25

westendgirl

Looking for new travel insurance I am appalled at the huge difference since the lock down.
Mine has doubled and is now so expensive that I dont think ~I can visit friends in France.
Any advice ?

If you do not have medical conditions that would add to your insurance look at different banks who , for a monthly fee , give holiday insurance as part of the deal . Some add extra if tou are over 70 or sometimes 75 ,

westendgirl Thu 30-Jun-22 08:59:49

Thank you Floradora . I am now too old to qualify for travel insurance with a bank (84) !
Will keep looking . It does seem ridiculous that when you are taking medication to help a condition you are penalised. It's frustrating too when you see how little young people have to pay and yet they are usually the ones who will drink, dive off balconies etc.Yes I know it's not all of them. Just fed up with the business at the moment .

Floradora9 Thu 30-Jun-22 21:16:48

westendgirl

Thank you Floradora . I am now too old to qualify for travel insurance with a bank (84) !
Will keep looking . It does seem ridiculous that when you are taking medication to help a condition you are penalised. It's frustrating too when you see how little young people have to pay and yet they are usually the ones who will drink, dive off balconies etc.Yes I know it's not all of them. Just fed up with the business at the moment .

My friend is 91 and Nationwide cover her . She only pays the age suppliment as she has no health problems . Isn't she lucky .