Gransnet forums

Travel

Unfair practice re flight upgrade?

(6 Posts)
FoghornLeghorn Tue 09-Aug-22 14:54:55

I have recently booked a holiday for me and a friend. The basic tour price includes economy class flights. We have requested to upgrade to business class. However, the tour company has added the full cost of the business class flight to the original holiday cost. I can’t get my head round the fact that we are effectively paying for both a business class and an economy class flight if they do this. I have spoken to them but apparently nobody has raised this issue before so they are stumped!

Norah Tue 09-Aug-22 15:04:04

We typically ask to be rebated the cost of the economy class flight and pay to be booked in business class. Happens quite often.

FoghornLeghorn Tue 09-Aug-22 15:15:43

Well that’s what I thought should happen Norah. Do your travel company normally honour your request with no fuss?

Norah Tue 09-Aug-22 15:26:34

Typically we go straight to the cruise company for booking. It seems the flights are an add-on for them and easy to manipulate?

Norah Tue 09-Aug-22 15:28:19

We usually use Viking, Smithsonian, Roads Scholar.

Lathyrus Tue 09-Aug-22 17:01:43

It depends doesn’t it. If the travel company have made a block booking in economy they will be paying for that as a block ie the cost of your two seats as part of it. That won’t be refundable to them.

Your upgraded seat will be completely separate to that. So even though your not using the seats the company would still have to pay for two unless the Airline was prepared to refund them.