Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

A film to watch with the grandchildren

(3 Posts)
fran23 Mon 09-May-11 08:49:16

May I recommend a lovely (almost forgotten) Peter Sellers film - The Optimists of Nine Elms - which he made in the early 1970s. It's an absolutely charming film, with Peter Sellers as a down-on-his-luck music hall star who befriends two young children in the back streets of London. It's the sort of genuinely heartwarming film they don't make these days, and it makes a change from these awful American computer drawn films.

The only people who seem to have it on dvd are Amazon.co.uk, although you can get it on old vhs tapes. Well worth a watch however you do it, it's little gem!

Fran.

crimson Thu 12-May-11 18:41:18

Oh, that sounds lovely. I've been hoping to get hold of the Box of Delights and The Children of Green Knowe [remember the tv series from way back].

Dordor Fri 13-May-11 12:06:13

Fran23 you are absolutely right about The Optimists of Nine Elms. I adore it, but only have a very old VHS pirate copy which I picked up many years ago in a chemist's! Can you really get it on DVD from Amazon? I'll be checking in a moment. I have tried to find out as much as I can about the film, but that doesn't amount to much, sadly. It's a pity it's not known more widely, but it's wonderful to find someone else who likes it. I think it's one of Peter Seller's truest performances.
Happy watching and re-watching.