Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Alexander Armstrong

(62 Posts)
supernana Tue 10-May-11 18:02:42

This man is gorgeous and very entertaining...[loved Armstrong and Miller] and Pointless - and he has a beautiful singing voice, too.

Myfanwy Tue 10-May-11 18:22:28

Fight you for him, supernana! I had quite a thing about this year's young American winner of Masterchef, too: intelligent, clever, talented, humble and a tad vulnerable with a sense of humour....mmmmm!

lionlilac Tue 10-May-11 19:33:12

I most certainly would not throw him out wink (Yes, I'm a dirty old woman)

Hattie64 Tue 10-May-11 19:52:11

Talking of dirty old women, I too absolutely adored this years American winner of Masterchef, his speaking voice was wonderful, food not bad either. A. Alexander is also nice, but getting on a bit !

Myfanwy Wed 11-May-11 11:20:05

You're right Hattie64; there's always a worry that these old types won't be able to keep up with us. For well-matured but still gorgeous I love Anthony Hopkins and David Attenborough. And yes, I may as well confess it: I have a weakness for Jeremy Paxman. It's not something I'm proud of so don't tell anyone else.

supernana Wed 11-May-11 11:35:08

Go for it girls...apart from lovely Alexander Armstrong, I have a "thing" for his pointless friend, Richard, also adorable Placido Domingo, handsome George Aleguia (don't know spelling - but fancy him just the same), gentle John Suchet, and the dishy, curly-haired man on the gardening programme..and then there was young Elvis and the delicious Gregory Peck...oh dear, at nearly 70, I seem not to have grown-up. wink

Hattie64 Wed 11-May-11 19:37:45

We never grow up, I find it hard it believe I used to have a enormous crush on Brian Ferry and David Essex. They are both looking so old now, men certainly don't age well as us girls. The trick is never to look in a mirror/shop window, and as for photographs, majority of cameras are faulty and make me look like an oldish woman, unbelievable. Jeremy Paxman is very appealing as he is so bad tempered, ill mannered,lovely.

Grumpyoldwoman Wed 11-May-11 19:49:08

We love Pointless and like you lot I love A A.
Quite partial to Robson Greene too. !!!!
Dream on !!!!!!

everso Wed 11-May-11 22:49:08

Well, thank god I'm not the only one. Don't you just love AA's new insurance adverts?

And he'd be mortified if he knew that he was a granny heart-throb! grin

supernana Thu 12-May-11 11:39:11

Ooer, let's tell him so...he's such a dishy/classy/clever/funny fella! wink

crimson Thu 12-May-11 15:51:16

I've got a thing about Dan Cruickshank; I imagine how wonderful it would be to bump into him at an ancient monument and find that we were kindred spirits! In my youth it was Michael Wood [remember In Search of the Dark Ages..well, I think I've found them and I'm there] but he hasn't aged too well. It's just that he used to wear that bomber jacket and jeans [sigh]. Paxman must be the thinking womans [secret] crumpet [perhaps crumpet not being the correct word].

supernana Thu 12-May-11 18:02:44

Crimson...love your thoughts about Dan...scrummy! Also have a thing about Monty Don [in his gardening gear]...

Myfanwy Thu 12-May-11 18:13:01

You're right crimson; Paxman is the thinking woman's (secret) salami! Of course, Trevor Eve is a bit of a problem: sexy and repulsive at the same time. I'm tall and therefore a little concerned that Robson Green might be too short and delicately built for my acrobatic fantasies. Love Ray Winstone - he's so self-assured and masculine.

crimson Thu 12-May-11 18:38:13

Good cheekbones has our Robson got! Gosh; Monty Don in his gardening gear..very Lady Chatterley; ooooer. Ray Winstone in his Henry xiii gear. Blimey. Kurt Wallander [the Swedish one....from the two part series, not the other Swedish one with the man boobs].

milliej Thu 12-May-11 18:53:28

Ladies do your husbands know of these fantasies? Or are you all single? I wondered why my husband always 'admires' men who are old, ugly (well to him) and generally 'not 'sexy'. Like he prefers Vince Cable to Nick Clegg but then he is a man!!
Robson Greene bless him, well he's a geordie isn't he, salt of the earth ;). I like Trevor Eve too but in a funny way, yes he's a bit difficult to define.
The one's I used to drool over as a young lass have long gone, never thought when I was young that they were so much older than me, but they were MEN. Well I thought so,
Charlton Heston, Robert Taylor, Kirk Douglas, I must have seen Spartacus at least 10 times......blimey I'm sounding old! hehe. Used to love the old biblical epics they don't make any more. smile
Just wondering who I like now.....crumbs.....John Nettles......Kevin Whately (prejudice again, another geordie!) Perhaps as we get older (well some of us!) we like more character/personality than 'hunk'?

Hattie64 Thu 12-May-11 20:47:00

I would think we probably do all have husbands, thats why we have these secret yearnings such as the wonderful Mr. Paxman. I do find Monty Don a bit whimpy, perhaps it is his curly hair and soft voice, no underlying nastiness. This crop of politicians do nothing for me, whatever party they belong to. I mean can you seriously have underlying lustful feelings for George Osbourne, Cameron or Milliband, ooh no. I also had a mad moment of fancy for David Tennant as Doctor Who,now that was ridiculous. I can't seem to work out how to insert a smiley???

supernana Fri 13-May-11 12:23:14

Hattie64 ...David Tennent also gets my vote. Go to Smileys, choose a face, and type the word smile in brackets. When you post your comment the face will follow. I thought it was the face that I had to transfer [whatever you call it] but no, 'tis the word and bracket. Good wishes smile

Notsogrand Fri 13-May-11 17:48:13

I never missed an episode of Dr Who with David Tennent. The real show stopper for me though is Alan Rickman grin

Hattie64 Fri 13-May-11 20:24:16

Aaaah, I had forgotten my absolute adoration of Alan Rickman,I am so fickle(shock) The Sheriff in Robin Hood, that wonderful film, the name of which I have forgotten, when he was a ghost. Mind you he is too old now.

Hattie64 Fri 13-May-11 20:27:27

grin just testing

Notsogrand Fri 13-May-11 20:55:47

Hattie.....Truly, Madly, Deeply? Impossible to watch without snorting and sobbing.
Have you seen Alan Rickman in the Harry Potter films? To die for wink

supernana Sat 14-May-11 11:36:24

Back to the delectable Alexander Armstrong...recently he was on Radio 3 and a recording of him singing Stanford's Nunc Dimittis in G was awesome...

Bunty Tue 17-May-11 21:53:57

Alan Rickman - completely yummy. Was at an event and (sorry about the name dropping) but Jude Law was also there - so what ? compared with yummy AR just no competition - he seems so insipid and shallow. Trevor Eve also very yummy. Watch him in the mini series Heat of the Sun set in Kenya- deeelicious! I do think he's a bit arrogant though.

BurgundyGran Wed 18-May-11 10:52:40

Alexander Armstrong yummmy! And he has brains!

Like Neil Oliver too and never miss one of his programmes, was devestated when the adorable Patrick Swayze passed away sad

When my husband was younger he had a very close resemblance to Omar Sherif grin I got some enviable looks from girls when we were out.

supernana Wed 18-May-11 10:57:07

BurgundyGran...Omar was certainly a dish especially in one scene of Dr Z when the raindrops froze in his hair! And I think that Alexander's "pointless friend" is most attractive...wink