Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Soaps

(14 Posts)
nanagibson Mon 30-May-11 19:10:23

Is there anyone out there like me who is fed up of Eastenders and Coronation Street?
Eastenders is just sooooooo depressing and the current Corrie storyline with John and Fizz and Becky and Steve are just an insult to the viewers. Is it me should I be treating it like a comedy?

twizzle Mon 30-May-11 19:16:37

Even in the realms of soap-land, the John Stape storyline is beyond ridiculous.

harrigran Tue 31-May-11 00:27:59

Utter garbage, both soaps leave a lot to be desired. Coronation street will be even worse when Michelle Collins joins the cast, she only has one mode of acting and it is boring.

bluegran Sat 04-Jun-11 16:56:01

I think the doctor in Eastenders is dishy!
Was fed up with the stolen baby story though.

nanagibson Mon 06-Jun-11 07:20:52

Yes it's time for some new scriptwriters I think. But dishy David Essex is now in Eastenders so I'll continue to watch with added interest!

dorsetpennt Mon 06-Jun-11 09:17:10

My GP friends wish they had the Eastender doctor's caseload. He seems to have masses of time to wander about looking sinister. The John Stape story is real fantasy but I do think Corrie story lines are very tongue in cheek. Norris and his ladyfriend have some wonderful lines.As for David Essex he is still a dish. I was mad about his curly black hair and vivid blue eyes when we were all young.

Annobel Tue 07-Jun-11 08:05:16

I got attached to soaps when I was teaching media studies to Access students, but over the last ten years of retirement, I have 'weaned' myself of Corrie and East Enders. Somehow I simply became bored with Corrie and East Enders is so unrelentingly gloomy I couldn't take it any more. I still miss Brookside, however, with its ridiculous plot lines, high death toll and great characters. Have I outgrown the Archers? I used to listen every evening but now I can take it or leave it. Anyone agree that they were wrong to kill off Nigel?

nannym Tue 07-Jun-11 15:19:27

My DH is totally addicted to the soaps and from 7pm to 9pm Monday to Friday I am subjected to him flicking from Emmerdale to Eastenders, to Coronation Street and then back to Eastenders, I've possibly got them in the wrong order, but you must get my drift? All I can say is thank Heaven for my laptop and ear phones! On the rare occassions that I've watched an episode I've found it so hard to believe that he enjoys such rubbish as he is normally such a down to earh sort of man, but he lives each storyline with the cast!

58lyndy Tue 07-Jun-11 15:33:07

Absolute rubbish - boring - depressing. It doesn't reflect life but now life reflects soaps. Relationships are totally dispensible now and no wonder The Soaps show just how worthless commitment is. Sorry even if real life has to be exaggerated on Soaps - enough to make me open my veins :0(

58lyndy Tue 07-Jun-11 15:35:15

Yep killing Nigel was for sensationalisation and now like you take or leave Archers and all Soaps

susiecb Tue 07-Jun-11 15:37:25

Please take the soaps off the TV then ordinary people can stop acting as if they are in a soap and trying to have the same ridiculous story lines in their own lives.

madmutt Tue 07-Jun-11 20:29:33

I record all the soaps I want to watch so I can fast forward all the irritating characters I don't like. A couple of years ago I FF'd through the whole of Eastenders, now I don't bother watching at all.

pinkprincess Tue 07-Jun-11 22:25:57

I gave up watching Corrie and Eastenders two yearsago.I never missed an episode at one time but now the storylines are ridiculous.
I just catch an occaisional glimpse when the family are channel hopping and cansee I am not missing anything.

Libradi Thu 16-Jun-11 22:37:29

I also record the soaps, well just Corrie and Eastenders and then fast forward the boring bits. I agree it's great to see David Essex in Eastenders. (Brings back memories of my younger days).