Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Apprentice last night

(36 Posts)
effblinder Thu 16-Jun-11 10:20:49

I can't believe no one else has started a discussion about this. Did anyone see it? The task for the Apprentice contestants was to start a free mag - and one of the teams chose the over 60 market to target it at.

It was quite hilarious - what did anyone think about the name 'Hip Replacement'?

What a joke!

Magsie Thu 16-Jun-11 23:08:21

Ah, but we wouldn't have all that 5am nonsense goldengirl! The young ones have to get up at that time to be taken to a completely irrelevant location. They then watch a recording of Sir Allen, who is no doubt still in bed. We could just as easily watch the recording in our dressing gowns, over coffee and a nice cooked breakfast.

jesse Thu 16-Jun-11 23:33:37

Yes I agree with the comments re the patronising and fearfully awful lack of understanding. But I like watching the program and find it instructive about the thoughts of young adults. They should have called it 'wisdom' or 'voice' or something like that. We all need to keep up with the views of the younger generation so we are ready for it. One can wield a zimma with attitude.

Annobel Fri 17-Jun-11 07:36:52

Did it not occur to these contestants for one second that his Lordship is of the demographic they were targeting? And would you really try to teach him how to use a mobile phone? A good laugh though. Susie ought to be renamed Cassandra as they never take any notice of what she thinks and she's often right - and getting quite a chip on her shoulder about it. Look forward to seeing them patronising the French next week!

susiecb Fri 17-Jun-11 09:05:34

The Apprentice is like watching a slow car crash. Essentially its another big ego trip for Lord Sugar, an excuse for Nick to exert his Stalistic management style and lord only knows what Karen Brady thinks its doing for her except showing her lack of people skills and her large flabby double chin on national TV.

Jim is a classic narcissist having met loads of those in senior NHS management I feel like an expert now he will proably do very well in the Public sector where they give CEOs huge packages to ruin organisations and then send them on garden leave with full pay (look at Suffolk County Council).

Where are all the previous winners - have they trasnformed the business worls - as far as I know only Ruth badger has a successful business and one of the blonde bimbos presents a shopping channel or something suiting her business acumen.

So having said all that I'm glued to it!!!

absentgrana Fri 17-Jun-11 12:10:22

Sorry notsogrand – I did say that I hadn't seen the programme. If they consulted a focus group and then went ahead with such ludicrous ideas, it's even more worrying. I think I would have played around with a title based on 60…and Still Counting, trying to get over the double idea that a) over sixties have lots of years ahead and b) they still matter. I don't think they could have used Zimmer as it's a registered trademark. A Senior Apprentice would surely be a contradiction – don't we already have bags of experience and aren't we all too wise and too busy to bother with silly projects?

Magsie Sat 18-Jun-11 10:13:23

Ah absentgrana although we know we are too wise & too busy, the young Apprentices think we need little puzzles to keep our brains active (as suggested to the focus group). They should have got the message when they asked the focus group what magazines they read and the first man said "The Economist". They still went on to be extremely patronising. I just thought it would be fun to do a one-off programme where a team of over-60s took on the current Apprentices and wiped the floor with them!

absentgrana Sat 18-Jun-11 10:36:28

A one-off to wipe the floor with them Magsie. Now you're talking. Incidentally, when did the brain get reclassified as a muscle?

Cressida Sat 18-Jun-11 13:26:17

I've been playing around and wondered you'd be tempted to pick up my version of Zimma

GoldenGran Sun 19-Jun-11 18:22:11

Haven't seen the programme,so can't really comment,it all does sound very patronising. But why do we need another magazine when we have the Oldie! Funny, smart anarchic,written by some of the most intelligent "Oldies" around!

Ruthdpl Sun 19-Jun-11 21:15:43

O my gahd, I hate the Apprentice! This is mainly because I have spent my working life teaching people to be professional managers, which has nothing whatsoever to do with being vile to other people! Two of the main skills required are a degree of self knowledge/personal insight and the willingness to keep on learning. The characters on both sides of the Apprentice have not the least shred of either of these qualities.

The latest episode certainly threw a spotlight onto these shortcomings. The candidates were completely unwilling/unable to learn from the older people who they interviewed and were outrageously disrespectful to boot. None of them will get anywhere in business because they think they know it all already.

Rant over!