Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Shadow Line

(6 Posts)
Annobel Fri 17-Jun-11 07:39:50

I persevered with The Shadow Line until the end and was none the wiser. I doubt I would understand it any better if I watched the whole serial over again. Is anyone capable of explaining it to me? confused

supernana Fri 17-Jun-11 13:04:27

Annobel I have really enjoyed watching a drama about which I'm none the wiser. Sitting in bed this morning, drinking tea, turned to my knowledgable husband and before I was able to ask the question...what was it about? - he read my thoughts and said...'Um, er, we-ell...' So there you have it. But I wouldn't have missed it for the world. The acting was quite the best I've seen in ages confused

crimson Fri 17-Jun-11 13:45:08

Just mentioned this on the Vera thread; can we discuss it with a 'spoiler alert' in case people haven't seen the last episode? I'd said that a few characters were very similar; two policemen and Gatehouse looked like Blickman in a few episodes. I'm piecing it together slowly I think] but don't want to ruin the ending for anyone [in case someone, somewhere is understanding what is going on]. Did enjoy it, though, and glad I stuck with it. Did you watch 'The Killing', Annobel?

AshleyW Fri 17-Jun-11 14:20:53

Tonight I'll watch the last episode on BBC i-player.
What I think it is about is that there's not much difference between the world of the police and the world of criminals. This is a theme which has been done before.
Who is a good cop? Who can you trust?
What I have found so interesting about the series is the tension - quite remarkable. Also the way it looks. Unusually the writer is also the producer and the director so this is very much his own dark vision.

Annobel Fri 17-Jun-11 14:44:15

OK. No spoilers, but I was surprised at the final revelation. I agree that the acting was excellent, especially the disturbed main character, Jonah. I thought the very first episode made the point you make, AshleyW, because it went back and forward seamlessly between the criminals and the police and it was very hard, even then, to tell the difference.
No, Crimson, I missed The Killing - not sure why.

crimson Fri 17-Jun-11 16:24:30

We need to start a thread The Shadow Line; SPOILER ALERT!