Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Question Time

(9 Posts)
twizzle Fri 08-Jul-11 08:21:10

I have never been a fan of Hugh Grant, but was impressed at his contribution on Question Time last night. He spoke eloquently and articulately, as did Shirley Williams. A Tory MP and a Labour MP were squabbling about the implications regarding their respective parties (no surprise there then!!), and an ex-Sun journalist, who thought that if he spoke loudest, his voice (and opinions) would bear the most weight.

Did anyone else watch this programme last night?

Grumpyoldwoman Fri 08-Jul-11 08:42:15

Yes..I agree with your comments about Hugh Grant.
The ex Sun journalist (can't think of his name .....senior moment!!!) was appalling to make the comment to Hugh about ''keeping it in his trousers'' That was totally irrelevant.
I will miiss Question Time.

expatmaggie Fri 08-Jul-11 08:51:05

Twizzle - Probably you were never a fan of how the media presented Hugh Grant. I am often impressed by actors and musicians when they appear on Andrew Marr's Sunday morning programme. I don't watch Question Time as it is an hour later in Germany, I usually listen to Any questions on Radio 4.

borstalgran Fri 08-Jul-11 17:44:21

Hugh had done his homework! He was indeed articulate and sensible. Why do we think actors are stupid? He and Shirley Williams were thoughtful; sad that Shirley isn't at the heart of LIbdem thinking. Couldn't do with the shouty journo and as for the politicians: implicated by dealing with Murdoch. Fear of Murdoch has no place in a democracy.

JessM Fri 08-Jul-11 18:37:51

We maybe think actors are dim when they are typecast as immature young/middle aged men. Though there was a moment I seem to recall when life imitated art.
I saw a clip of him and thought "oh he's a proper grown up!"

em Fri 08-Jul-11 19:31:10

Quite agree. I was guilty of writing off Hugh Grant as a pretty but dim actor and was very impressed by his Question Time performance. Also enjoy seeing the more serious side of various people especially on AM's show.

crimson Sat 09-Jul-11 12:28:54

Only saw a bit of the programme but I was also impressed by his comments. It's always the non politicians that make sense in this programme, the best of them being Shami Chakrabarti [where has she been recently?]. Even Janet Street Poter talks more sense than those we choose to govern us. As did the Liberals sad.

crimson Sat 09-Jul-11 12:29:26

.....Porter........

Annobel Sat 09-Jul-11 13:12:16

Shami was on AM's show recently and she does talk sense. I would have willingly strangled the dreadful John Gaunt - can that be his real name? - who simply sets out to shock. In fact, I think he is a would-be 'shock jock' on some obscure radio station. I also heard Hugh Grant on 5 Live talking to that ex NOW journalist (McMullen?) whom he once secretly recorded saying that phone hacking was widely known about. HG does a lot of work with health charities.