Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Disappointed by Marcus du Sautoy

(4 Posts)
Dordor Thu 04-Aug-11 10:51:37

Watched the second episode of "The Code" last night and was confirmed in my view that Marcus du Sautoy has been persuaded to make dumb tv out of a very sound idea. Mathematics is a wonderful subject, and I want to learn more about it, but I'm irritated by a) the "Brian Cox" moments - MduS standing on a summit gazing soulfully into the distance - b) the silly little montages of the story so far and the flashes of meaningless images, and c) the sloppy script: e.g. the hexagonal shapes of the giant's causeway are not "engraved". I'm disappointed, because he's an excellent professor, and presenter (usually) but this misses the mark in so many ways, for me.

Jacey Thu 04-Aug-11 11:11:15

Yes ...I tend to agree with you,Dordor ...it was BBC2, it did go out at 9pm ...so theoretically wasn't aimed at the masses as 'entertainment'. Also the web-site has links with Open University ...so had expected the style of presentation to be more 'informative'. Yes ...some of the links were 'sloppy'. However ...I shall still watch the third one.

Have you accessed the web-site? Took me a bit of time to find as they didn't give the correct address!! But worth the effort.

Jacey Sat 06-Aug-11 19:03:27

* Dordor* ...you might like the fractal images on this site ...

www.enchgallery.com/fractals/fracthumbs.htm

Dordor Sat 06-Aug-11 19:38:25

Thanks, Jacey, I'll look at the Code website, but I'm sorry the fractal pictures don't do a lot for me. I am more interested in the actual maths shock.