Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Riots

(10 Posts)
Nannymoo Mon 08-Aug-11 20:56:37

Can not believe what l am seeing on tv tonight and the last couple of days The whole world is watching us and seeing a minority of our youth destroying our reputation. I wonder how many people have decided not to cometo the UK for a holiday or the olympics because of this.
I feel o sorry for the innocent people in those comunities who have to live with the cnsequences of a bunch of morons. To think some of us are grandparents to these yobs!

yogagran Mon 08-Aug-11 22:20:08

Mindless violence and theft. So sad to see people behaving like this, they show no respect for others. Perhaps it's time to bring the army in.

susiecb Tue 09-Aug-11 08:08:26

Not sure we have any army left to bring in after all the cuts! Theresa May will give them all a stern talking too this morning that should do it - she says she is taking a robust approach. Thats alright then!

pompa Tue 09-Aug-11 09:02:28

If this was Ulster, the army, water cannon, rubber bullets, tear gas would have already been deployed. The police are totally overwhelmed by the size of the problem. This is now organised crime. How can this happen in Britain ???

greenmossgiel Tue 09-Aug-11 09:26:14

I think I heard something on the news this morning about the army possibly being brought in?

Jacey Tue 09-Aug-11 14:53:55

So agree pompa ...too many questions being asked about the 'why' rather than focussing on the 'how are we going to contain it?'
If those lonely 5 police officers at Debenham's last night had been able to use tear gas ...it would have been containable ...and would have got rid of the crowd of observers too ...way to go pompa!!

pompa Tue 09-Aug-11 18:55:31

The rioters are getting their way, just been to Braintree Freeport shopping centre. It was closed, just in case, this was at 5:30pm - is this not giving in to their threats.
I do however fear that moving 16,000 police into London leaves other towns open targets.

glammanana Tue 09-Aug-11 18:57:26

When these rioters are dealt with in court all they will get is a slap on the hand,they will all be unemployed so not able to pay the said fine's so the
total court costs will be down to the taxpayer again.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 09-Aug-11 21:04:20

A couple of people have mentioned that we now have two threads on the riots. You may want to take a look at the other one too (it's been pretty bust today!) - you can find it in politics/in the news - Tottenham www.gransnet.com/forums/politics_news/1189162-Tottenham

Oxon70 Fri 19-Aug-11 17:32:57

I'm picking this up from the news thread, as I don't think people are seeing it:

The one that didn't get in the news.....
I've just been alerted by 'Private Eye' to the fact that there was a similar riot in Hornsey....in March this year.
You never heard of it? Neither did I. I checked it out. It was reported in the Tottenham and Wood Green Journal of March 17th 2011, and not even the Evening Standard took it up. Why?

All the media were covering the Japanese tsunami.
This riot didn't get talked up and shown all the time.....
And it didn't therefore spread copycat violence across the country.