Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Darkest hour

(26 Posts)
Shirleyw Sat 06-Jan-18 06:50:06

Hope to be seeing that next week when it comes out. Clips look good.....Anyone else going to cinema to watch it?

Teetime Sat 06-Jan-18 10:06:54

I hope so but I don't think its on near us.

Teetime Sat 06-Jan-18 10:12:00

Juts found it going on 17th Jan 10.45 in the morning!

Smithy Sat 06-Jan-18 10:54:39

I saw the trailer for this a good few weeks back, so hoping to see it soon at our local Odeon. Gary Oldman who plays Churchill, was on TV the other night. Great transformation for the part!

Tegan2 Sat 06-Jan-18 11:50:32

I've always thought of Gary Oldman as being the most chameleon like actor of his generation, but even he has surpassed himself this time. Can't wait to see the film!

lemongrove Sat 06-Jan-18 16:23:00

The reviews are really good for this film.

chelseababy Sun 07-Jan-18 08:32:49

Hoping to go on Friday

Shirleyw Sun 14-Jan-18 05:58:16

Went to see it yesterday. It's a very good film and very fine acting. Certainly worth watching.

Greyduster Sun 14-Jan-18 08:42:48

We are going tommorrow. DH found the last Churchill film we saw disappointing, so I hope this one lives up to the hype.

Floradora9 Sun 14-Jan-18 18:13:52

Much better than the Brian Cox film . I found it very moving . His grandson said that when he closed his eyes it was as if his grandmother was speaking .

Greyduster Mon 15-Jan-18 16:08:22

I have just been to see this film and was completely blown away by it. British acting at its very best and a wonderful script. Take a big hanky!

Fennel Mon 15-Jan-18 17:02:03

Having been a young child at the time of the Darkest Hour, it was a terrifying time for the adults. We almost had an invasion from the dreaded Nazis.
Churchill, with his gift of eloquence, was the inspiration which gave people the will to fight back.
I hope to see the film too.

Iam64 Mon 15-Jan-18 17:50:23

I saw it yesterday. It’s glorious, superb acting, script, filming, I was engrossed. The “fight them on the beaches, we shall never surrender” speech was so moving, in spite of the fact it’s so well known I was saying it (silently) with him.

Washerwoman Mon 15-Jan-18 18:11:38

Went at the weekend.DH was a bit unsure wether to go but has said several times since what a great film it was.Not too sure if the bit were he takes the underground is based on truth,but was so impressed with the whole cast and production it really didn't matter.Gary Oldman gives a truly amazing performance,it will be very hard to see anyone else take the role of Churchill in the future

mrsmopp Tue 16-Jan-18 12:35:51

Going this afternoon. Pensioners discount. Got to be better than the last one about Churchill and DDay. It was full of inaccuracies. Shouldn't happen.

Greyduster Tue 16-Jan-18 12:58:34

There was, for me, only one scene which stretched credibility to some extent, but it served a purpose, and was quite moving.

Iam64 Tue 16-Jan-18 13:42:37

Exactly Greyduster - dramatic license and very moving

willsmadnan Tue 16-Jan-18 16:55:25

Saw it this afternoon. If Gary Oldman doesn't get an Oscar to go with his Golden Globe, there's no justice.
The underground scene did stretch credibility a bit, but nowhere near the usual 'faction' drama. ''The Crown' takes the award for Inventive Script of the Century on that front!

Nanawind Wed 17-Jan-18 20:32:02

Brilliant film we agree Gary Oldman should get an award. Pity recent history is not taught in schools it would hopefully help youngsters understand more about that time.
We went using our 2 for 1 tickets from a comparison site.

Fennel Tue 23-Jan-18 20:47:28

We just watched it on TV (don't ask me how). It was very moving, and the acting superb. The main thing I took from it was "never give up" - as we're going through a difficult time, complicated house move etc.
Obviously nothing as earthshaking as the theme of the film, but relevant to us. Plus the fighting spirit of british people at the time, and their pride in their island nation.
(Dare I mention Brexit)

lemongrove Tue 23-Jan-18 21:30:42

Yes, do mention it Fennel grin In fact we could do with a lot more fighting spirit around generally now.
A good job that it happened 75 years ago and not last year( the war) because all you would hear now would be gripes!

I look forward to seeing this film.

TwiceAsNice Wed 24-Jan-18 09:01:47

My daughter and I went to see it last week at our newly refurbished local cinema, which added to the experience. It was absolutely brilliant, Gary Oldman and Kristen Scott Thomas were amazing. Hope that means victory in the Oscars.

Teetime Wed 24-Jan-18 09:02:28

Great film saw it last week - so inspirational where are our great leaders of today?

mostlyharmless Thu 25-Jan-18 19:14:59

Yes a powerful film. Very thought provoking. Hard to make wartime London look beautiful but the film photography was very creative and atmospheric.
Yes the scene in the tube train seemed unlikely, but was moving.
Outstanding performances by Gary Oldman and Kristin Scott Thomas.

loopyloo Thu 25-Jan-18 20:18:08

Yes brilliant film. My DH stayed awake through the whole thing which is a recommendation in itself.