Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Archers Addicts.

(870 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 25-Mar-19 19:47:18

I'm starting this new thread as apparently our other one was over a year old!! shock

We'll have to do more gossiping to prevent this happening again.

Here's a link to the old one.

www.gransnet.com/forums/tv_radio_film_arts/1241862-The-Archers?msgid=27150464#27150464

FountainPen Thu 11-Apr-19 08:53:11

I was starting to worry about Jim rambling on and on to Leonard like that. He seemed calmer over coffee with Shula but surely this classics scholar would have asked for two (or even due) cappuccini not cappuccinos. I bet he would have done had he been having coffee with Lynda.

I think we all suspected that about Leonard, didn't we? Was that genuine or hysterical hooting we heard from Jill?

LullyDully Thu 11-Apr-19 17:28:01

I thought I recognised the voice of Leonard. It is Paul Copley. I didn't know his name but know him for one of the Great British actors who turn up regularly on TV dramas.

Lazigirl Thu 11-Apr-19 18:22:57

Oh LD you are spoiling it for me. Is TA not real?

maryeliza54 Thu 11-Apr-19 19:09:19

OMG Tom how could you? How could you?

SisterAct Thu 11-Apr-19 19:19:11

Natasha is a manipulative....... devious piece of work?

FountainPen Thu 11-Apr-19 19:21:10

Natasha is a manipulative blameshifter, isn't she?

A question. Why doesn't cheesemaker Helen use the whey to make ricotta cheese?

Culag Thu 11-Apr-19 19:23:26

Coercion in Pat and Tony’s family again!

Sara65 Thu 11-Apr-19 19:24:12

Poor Pat! Natasha is horrid, and I don’t think much of Tom at the moment!

FountainPen Thu 11-Apr-19 19:53:46

I had to go back and listen to the episode when Tom told Jazzer off for feeding the pigs too much. Later he and Natasha were talking about the history of his pig business:

Tom: The real reason I started the pigs was because of my brother, because that’s what he did. I was seventeen when he died and I suppose I felt …

Natasha: You owed it to him?

Tom: Kind of, yeah. Does that make sense?

Natasha: Course it does. It’s sweet.

Tom: And then I got properly interested in the whole thing, The sausage business and setting up my own brand. To me that was all inspiring.

Natasha: Still is, isnt it? That’s the legacy then, isn’t it? The inspiration. What you made of the business. That’s what your brother left you. How you moved it on. I’m proud of that.

To insist now that he didn’t tell her is simply wrong. She’s sounding like another gaslighter. A she-Rob. I’m wondering if the point of this storyline is for Pat to recognise in what is going on with Tom and Natasha, what she failed see with Helen and Rob.

phoenix Thu 11-Apr-19 20:14:47

Ooerr! Could get messy! But surely there couldn't be two gaslighting/manipulative relationships in the same family?

Or could there.................??????

FountainPen Thu 11-Apr-19 20:23:24

I think there is! I'm starting to wonder if the writers had wind of the new reforms to divorce law.

merlotgran Thu 11-Apr-19 20:32:18

The only one who seems to see through her is Johnny.

phoenix Thu 11-Apr-19 21:53:08

Or perhaps Jazzer? Where will it go next????

Mrspn19479 Thu 11-Apr-19 22:14:35

Oh god, I've been listening to the archers since ...195---something, none of it has changed I tend to omnibus, I do find some story lines very obvious even though the characters are obtuse. Helen and Rob nearly finished me...Pat..Helens mother is totally useless. Her Geordie accent drives me mad. Tune in soon for the next episode

merlotgran Thu 11-Apr-19 22:19:36

Pat is Welsh.

FountainPen Thu 11-Apr-19 22:26:19

I think Hannah will get involved at some point either to do some plain talking to Tom or in some kind of business capacity. Hannah and Jazzer were a non-starter romantically but they both know pigs. I can't imagine she's that happy working at HMP Porkhurst playing second fiddle to Neil. She stepped up when he was off with a bad back then had to step down again.

Grange Farm will be vacant soon when the Grundys move to The Green. Hannah is going to need somewhere to live. I can see her taking over Grange Farm and starting a pig venture with Jazzer. On the other hand, I don't think Neil has ever been happy at Porkhurst despite Susan's managerial ambitions for him. Maybe Hannah will take his job and Neil and Jazzer rear pigs at Grange Farm.

glammagran Thu 11-Apr-19 23:38:52

[FountainPen] I didn’t know this thread existed till today and think you are the “lead”. I have to say I am immensly entertained by all the input, especially your comments. Been an Archers listener for around 15 years.

LullyDully Fri 12-Apr-19 08:18:13

Talking of Pat being welsh. She doesn't seem to acknowledge that Natasha is also welsh. Not like any welsh people I remember in my mother's family. There is no camaraderie on her behalf.

mcem Fri 12-Apr-19 08:41:24

Isn't it Ruth who has the Geordie accent? (I like it!)

phoenix Fri 12-Apr-19 08:56:17

Surely the Aldridges will be the most likely occupants of Grange Farm?

Jennifer darling will be round at Brookfield asking for her tagine back!

merlotgran Fri 12-Apr-19 09:00:02

My money's on the Aldridges snapping it up as well.

I think Ed will get caught shifting dodgy stuff for Tim and his fine will wipe out their savings. sad

Iam64 Fri 12-Apr-19 09:02:56

To be honest, if I was Nocash's mother in law I'm nor sure I'd feel comradeship, even in she'd been born in the same northern town I was. Usually clans stick together don't they but there are exceptions and for me No Casher is one of them.

FountainPen Fri 12-Apr-19 09:33:48

phoenix I'm never quite sure what livestock farming actually goes on now at Grange Farm. Where does Ed keep his Texels? The Grundys did have some pig arcs at some point and Joe's horses need grazing. It hasn't been explained what will happen to the land when the older Grundys move to The Green and Ed and Emma move to their new house, if indeed they do now that both have lost work. Would Jenny want to live at Grange Farm if the Grundys still have use of the land?

glammagram Not a lead. merlot started the thread. I just jabber a lot about TA. I've been listening since I was a child. Late DH was an Archers Addict. I, too, remember having to record the programmes for him on audio tapes. He refused to listen to the Sunday omnibus as the producers uses to edit out content to fit it into an hour. Nowadays the omnibus is long enough to repeat everything that's been in the Sun-Fri episodes and, of course, we have catch up.

lully One of the things that doesn't happen much in TA is reminiscing. It's rare for Pat to mention her Welsh background. I think she's forgotten her uncle Haydn Evans who had Willow Farm and ran the local garage. She's been in Ambridge since 1974 so maybe the writers have too. Hadyn had a son Gwyn but she never mentions a cousin.

Sara65 Sat 13-Apr-19 16:22:00

Missed it last night, anything I should know?

merlotgran Sat 13-Apr-19 16:26:02

You could say Jazzer's more than a bit p***ed off, Sara65 grin