Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The name of the Rose

(30 Posts)
NanKate Sun 13-Oct-19 08:56:31

Hi folks have any of you watched episode 1 yet, it supposed to be a bit slow but gains momentum as the series progresses ? I saw the film with Sean Connery in it ages ago and really liked it.

I hope to start watching it this week.

travelsafar Sun 13-Oct-19 08:58:40

which channel is it on or is it Netflix??

Greyduster Sun 13-Oct-19 14:51:30

I watched it and it will be a bit of a slow burn, for a while, I think, but it has a good cast and is very atmospheric. You can feel how claustrophobic life in a monastery was. I saw the film too, NanKate (I have a feeling this tv series will be far more graphic), and tried to read the book, but it defeated me!

Greyduster Sun 13-Oct-19 14:52:33

It’s on BBC2, travels.

NanKate Sun 13-Oct-19 14:55:17

I’m sure the book would defeat me too Greyduster. I will start watching it tonight.

MiniMoon Sun 13-Oct-19 15:23:28

I saw the film with Sean Connery as William when it was first released.
I watched the first episode on BBC2 on Friday night.
I really enjoyed the film, so hope the series is as good.
I've never tried to read the book. My daughter has read it though.

notnecessarilywiser Sun 13-Oct-19 15:59:43

I started watching and was about to give up when things started getting more interesting. I'm still at the stage where the characters are Blind Monk, Blond Monk, Shifty Monk and Pope, but I'm hooked!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 13-Oct-19 16:33:28

Yes greyduster it is on my bookshelf somewhere gathering dust. I did try but gave up.

wildswan16 Sun 13-Oct-19 16:44:12

I watched episode 1 on iplayer yesterday. John Turturro plays his part really well, but it is rather dark and confusing. I'm hoping it all begins to make better sense next time. I did try to read the book but couldn't get past the first couple of chapters.

Deedaa Sun 13-Oct-19 20:28:19

I'm loving it so far, the scenery and cinematography are great. I seem to remember being fairly confused by the film so I won't be surprised if I find this difficult to follow. I can't remember whether I actually read the book or not, must give it another go.

Calendargirl Sun 13-Oct-19 20:59:10

I enjoyed the film, nodded off in episode one on tv, don’t know if I will keep watching. Have forgotten what happened in the film.

Doodledog Sun 13-Oct-19 23:13:19

I loved the book, and thought the Sean Connery film was very atmospheric, but missed out so much of what made the book so good. That was inevitable in an hour and a half, or whatever; but this will have eight hours to get it all in.

I saw the repeat last night, and loved it; but I am away just now, and didn't know it was on in time to set my recorder, which is a shame, as I would have liked to keep all of them to watch in a binge.

Bellanonna Sun 13-Oct-19 23:39:00

Like many others I started the book when it came out but didn’t finish it. I didn’t see the film. I watched episode one on TV initially thinking I wouldn’t watch till the end, then began to enjoy it as things became clearer. I’m looking forward to the next episode.

LondonGranny Sun 13-Oct-19 23:43:30

One monk (Rupert Everett?) is good but I keep getting confused by the other monks as to who's who. It managed to be too slow and too busy all at once which is annoying. I liked the book though. I never saw the film made in the 80s.

Fiachna50 Sun 13-Oct-19 23:56:37

Loved the book and the film starring Sean Connery and Christian Bale. Really liked the first episode of this new series.

lemongrove Mon 14-Oct-19 07:57:44

I read the book years ago ( thought it was brilliant) the film was not all that great, so hoping this series is better, have recorded it to watch when I have time.

Gfplux Fri 01-Nov-19 16:27:36

Loved the film and think this series is even better.
Marvellous atmosphere, great acting and a mystery murder story being investigated by an intellectual “detective”

NanKate Fri 01-Nov-19 18:52:02

I’m enjoying it. Very atmospheric.

lemongrove Fri 01-Nov-19 18:54:01

Yes, me too, just watched the second episode, excellent.

Eloethan Sat 02-Nov-19 20:24:48

I've recorded this but wonder if I'll ever get round to watching it as there are now several episodes to plough through. It makes it all feel a bit of a chore!

NanKate Mon 04-Nov-19 17:12:20

It's worth it IMO Eloethan. Put on your fur coat it all looks a bit chilly at the Monastery.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 04-Nov-19 17:17:28

I greatly prefer the book to the film, which I only watched because I am a fan of Sean Connery. Haven't seen the new series, as we can't seem to get BBC 2 here-

Eloethan Mon 04-Nov-19 18:47:14

I saw the film years ago but can't really remember anything except that I found it rather difficult to follow at times.

LullyDully Mon 25-Nov-19 08:15:17

I am totally lost, mostly because I find it is becoming very unpleasant . It is starting to remind me of Game of Thrones. ( husband enjoys it so we continue to watch with me playing on my Kindle.)

lemongrove Mon 25-Nov-19 08:48:31

I have watched quite a few episodes now and think it’s really well done.The opening paintings and music very atmospheric, setting the scene, and it’s beautifully filmed and
Lighted, flickering candles, snow capped mountains and woods.The monastery is lovely but bleak ( wonder where it is
Looks like the Carpathian mountains).
It’s not an easy watch, you have to ‘keep up at the back’ ?