Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

His dark materials

(166 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 03-Nov-19 20:41:51

Ayone else watching this new drama on BBC1??

I can't make head nor tail of it at the moment!!!

Reminds me of Harry Potter, Beautiful Beasts the film, and the introduction music and scenes reminded me of Game of Thrones.

BlueBelle Sun 03-Nov-19 20:47:33

No avoiding it. Personally I don’t like these dark science fiction type I dint even like a Harry Potter so not for me

GrandmaKT Sun 03-Nov-19 20:59:43

Yes, thought it was very good - but then I did read the books years ago and I think that helped! Not keen on the 10 minute trailer for next week's episode at the end - what happened to waiting patiently?

Ohmother Sun 03-Nov-19 21:02:28

I tried to get into it but found it a bit ‘?’ I’m sure soma academic will tell me the book’s better. ?

Not sure I’d watch it next week even though it seems a massive budget production.

Ohmother Sun 03-Nov-19 21:03:55

Cross post
Grandma KT. No offence intended.

MawB Sun 03-Nov-19 21:05:23

I m not sure it falls into the sci-if category, but like Game of Thrones is a category on its own!
Loved the books and especially the all-afternoon dramatisation of a The Book of Dust on Radio4 a couple of years ago.
Not disappointed by tonight’s dramatisation.

Summerlove Sun 03-Nov-19 21:07:11

I’m anxiously looking forward to seeing it

GrandmaKT Sun 03-Nov-19 21:11:21

No offence taken Ohmother, but I certainly wouldn't class myself as an acedemic! The books were actually written for children and are an easy read.

GrandmaKT Sun 03-Nov-19 21:11:48

or academic! lol

Flossieturner Sun 03-Nov-19 21:13:49

I thought it was excellent. I seem to be alone in being the only person to have enjoyed the film. I used to read the books to my GS.

Joelsnan Sun 03-Nov-19 21:14:26

I thought the books were great, the type that gripped my imagination and took me on the journey. Pullmans descriptions allowed me to create my own images and personalities which I hope this adaptation can match.
It does take a bit of understanding to start with, but if its anything like the books, stick with it, its a great story.

Summerlove Sun 03-Nov-19 21:22:40

Flossie I also enjoyed the film, and thought that the cast had been well chosen

whywhywhy Sun 03-Nov-19 21:33:26

I think this is aimed at kids. I didn't enjoy it at all. I'm not watching next week.

MawB Sun 03-Nov-19 21:35:38

No, not at children!
BTW there is a very good programme on Philip Pullman on BBC4 right now.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 03-Nov-19 21:44:52

I was in two minds whether to watch as I loved the books but this seems very well done to me. I don't think they are sci-fi, more fantasy. They certainly set you thinking. The stories use alternate but similar worlds to challenge our ingrained perceptions. Not easy but I think it's worth sticking with the series if it continues to be as true to the books as tonight.

Or you could just watch and enjoy.

Fiachna50 Sun 03-Nov-19 21:57:03

I was bored.

dragonfly46 Sun 03-Nov-19 22:10:57

I read the books some time ago and I enjoyed it.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 03-Nov-19 22:12:22

MawB thank you for flagging the BBC4 programme. It is always good to hear other people's unravelling of something so layered.

LullyDully Sun 03-Nov-19 22:15:30

I enjoyed it. I have read all the books so far. Much better than that awful film The Golden Compass. This is far more like the book.

AllotmentLil Sun 03-Nov-19 22:21:10

Don’t like Philip Pullman at all so won’t be watching.

TerriBull Sun 03-Nov-19 22:21:26

One of my sons preferred HDM trilogy to the Harry Potters, I thought about reading them but didn't get round to it. Wasn't blown away tonight but will stick with it.

Eloethan Sun 03-Nov-19 22:27:16

I would say it's "fantasy" fiction - not really my sort of thing. I can't bear Harry Potter but I did manage to get through half of one of Philip Pullman's books a few years ago - I think it was The Amber Spyglass. It contained some interesting ideas and was well written but I don't really like this genre of fiction. I think his books can be read by children and adults but perhaps the symbolism would be more accessible to adults.

I've recorded it in case either of my grandchildren are interested.

gulligranny Sun 03-Nov-19 22:30:19

Really don't like fantasy stuff, so unlikely to watch this, although DH is a Ruth Wilson fan so we might try it. But £50 million? That's a lot to spend on something that by its very nature isn't going to appeal to everyone.

Callistemon Sun 03-Nov-19 22:53:06

I haven't read the books but we thought we'd give it a try even though I'm not into fantasy either, unless it's to do with Greek legends or something similar. We were interrupted by a phone call part way through so I'm not sure what's going on.

I was left with the thought that this has been totally mistimed. It is aimed at children and I would have thought that 8pm on a Sunday evening is not the best time to air it.
Surely it would have been better at a earlier time on Saturday evenings?

annodomini Sun 03-Nov-19 23:07:48

The dramatisation, so far, is true to the books. I have enjoyed all the Lyra books and have just finished the second book of the Book of Dust trilogy. I wonder which member of my family has taken possession of my HDM books!
The BBC4 programme that followed the first episode was informative about the author and his work; his reference to Paradise Lost as an influence certainly hadn't occurred to me.
Whereas the first trilogy (HDM) was intended for a young readership, the second trilogy is darker - perhaps the original readers have grown up - or older.