Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Which are your favourite records from your younger years?

(114 Posts)
Dinahmo Sun 10-Nov-19 15:01:34

Last night we watched a documentary about Carol King. Quite a lot of time was spent talking about "Tapestry" and I remembered that every flat we visited had a copy of that, also "Sweet Baby James", "Music from Big Pink", "The Velvet Underground and Nico" and of course "Sergeant Pepper"

I love all the above and many many more and find it impossible to chose my top 5.

A bit of light relief from the politics forum.

Sara65 Sun 10-Nov-19 16:01:29

For me, I only have to hear All the young Dudes, or Maggie May, and I’m right back in the early seventies.

My husband was a bit more hardcore than me, and loved, still loves The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin, and we both loved Lou Reed, Perfect Day still brings a tear to my eye.

Witzend Sun 10-Nov-19 16:21:27

How young are we talking?
When I was maybe 14 I was dying for someone to give me the Telstar single for Christmas - I dropped plenty of hints but nobody did. ?

Mid to late teens, far too many to mention, so many bring back memories. But I particularly remember Beach Boys numbers and A Whiter Shade Of Pale, when we were chilling in the Upper Sixth common room.

Student days, esp. after I met dh, a Leonard Cohen LP and The Incredible String Band - I still really love, 'First Girl I loved'.

When I was maybe 11 my rather older sister had a Tom Lehrer LP - I adored the songs, so funny, but what I liked best was the instruction on the back: 'To clean record use a fairly dry Martini.'
Height of wit to me at the time!

Framilode Sun 10-Nov-19 16:41:13

Young Girl by Union Gap and most of the early Elvis ones.

Sara65 Sun 10-Nov-19 16:44:29

Framilode

I was just thinking about Young Girl, I was still at school and we used to play it constantly in our lunch hour.

Dee1012 Sun 10-Nov-19 17:26:50

For me... Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd.
Whenever I have time to myself, candles are lit and I lie on the floor and just relish my 'time machine'.

QuaintIrene Sun 10-Nov-19 17:32:58

Black Sabbaths Paranoid.
I have it on my playlist. I hear it and I am that young music obsessed girl again.
I love Tom Lehrer, too.

Oopsminty Sun 10-Nov-19 17:40:56

As a child it was the Radetsky March. I'd listen to it over and over. Must have driven everyone mad .

Then I discovered David Cassidy. David Essex.

Cherish. Hold Me Close.

Then Abba. Voulez Vous

I was a disco diva really.

And Motown. Too many songs to mention.

I think my favourite song ever is I Was Made for Loving You by Kiss.

And Dance Me to the End of Love. Leonard Cohen

That one always makes me cry

Calendargirl Sun 10-Nov-19 18:36:45

Don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade, but I suppose Young Girl would not be allowed to make it to the hit parade nowadays.
I loved it though.

Septimia Sun 10-Nov-19 18:40:28

Lots of good records to choose from.

When I was at teacher training college and in digs on my own I would play a Beach Boys LP when I felt down. It never failed to cheer me up.

Urmstongran Sun 10-Nov-19 18:55:08

I agree Calendargirl!

Ditto ‘Every Breath you Take’ by Police (about a stalker - it really put me off when I realised).

lemongrove Sun 10-Nov-19 19:13:48

Teenage years, Procol Haram’s Whiter Shade Of Pale, anything by the Beatles, Cilla Black or The Kinks.
Anyone who had a heart (Cilla) still evokes those years and the Beatles ‘She Loves You’.
Beach Boys ‘Sloop John B’ and The Mamas and The Papas
‘Monday Monday.) Happy and carefree days.?

lemongrove Sun 10-Nov-19 19:15:22

Must remembered The House Of The Rising Sun, great record, and Fats Domino’s Blueberry Hill.

Sara65 Sun 10-Nov-19 19:18:13

Calendargirl

I’m sure you’re right, very dodgy lyrics!

valerieanne216 Sun 10-Nov-19 19:31:23

Fool if you think it's over, Elkie Brooks
Unchained Melody, Righteous Brothers
Somewhere over the rainbow, Eva Cassidy
He's not heavy he's my brother, Hollies
Three times a lady, Commodores
If you leave me now, Chicago
I could go on and on!

threexnanny Sun 10-Nov-19 19:31:28

'Young Girl' for me too - both times.

Anything by the Carpenters, Bee Gees and Seekers (original group)

Juno56 Sun 10-Nov-19 19:40:31

On my 13th birthday my parents bought me a portable record player. I can still remember what it looked like, pale blue and cream with a lid and a carrying handle on the side. My aunt and uncle gave me a 10 shilling note with which I bought 'Where Do You Go To My Lovely' by Peter Sarstedt (I think there was change smile). For a long time it and an LP of 60s covers were the only records I had. A bit later I loved Rod Stewart's 'Maggie May'.

craftyone Sun 10-Nov-19 20:17:31

anything by the beatles, I wuz there, was my scene and my era. What a time to be a liverpudlian teenager grin

Esther1 Sun 10-Nov-19 20:26:15

Every young married couple in the seventies had 2 copies of the Sg Pepper’s LP - as everyone had their own copy and then when they got married and set up house they would each bring their own record. I had all The Monkees LPs and I remember the LP Bridge over Troubled Water being a big part of my life.

annsixty Sun 10-Nov-19 20:32:13

The first LP I remember buying was Songs for Swinging Lovers, Frank Sinatra.
I may still have it in the attic.
This was in the 1950s/ 60’s.

Alima Sun 10-Nov-19 20:54:32

Puff the Magic Dragon. So sad, it was years later I realised the lyrics were rather iffy. Sparkies Magic Piano. (Seems like a theme there but I really don’t like magicians now). Frankie Howard singing about the goats crossing the bridge.

Oopsminty Sun 10-Nov-19 20:57:00

Three Times a Lady

My boyfriend got me that

I was 17 and he was 28. Manager of a nightclub

I didn't think I was much of a lady at the time

Grammaretto Sun 10-Nov-19 23:50:32

The first record I bought was Elvis, Wooden Heart.
Hello Mary Lou, by Ricky Nelson , Buddy Holly, Lonnie Donegan and any of the Musicals and Folk Songs, Pete Seeger.
Radio Luxembourg and listening to the top 20 on Sunday afternoons before the Beatles broke onto the scene and the Stones and Bob Dylan.

Bellanonna Sun 10-Nov-19 23:56:42

Tommy Steele, Singing the Blues

Elrel Mon 11-Nov-19 00:16:56

Diana by Paul Anka
Buddy Holly
Let’s Twist Again, Chubby Chequer
Tom Lehrer
Donovan (From a Flower to a Garden)
Incredible String Band
Maxwell’s Magic Hammer, Rolling Stones
Where Do You Go To, My Lovely? Peter Sarstedt
I’ve Never Been to Me