Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Why have the Sunday night dramas on BBC One got so heavy?

(55 Posts)
Gonegirl Sun 17-Nov-19 21:06:11

I haven't a clue what's going on in the Lyra thing, and now we've got the War of the Worlds.

Boring!

lemongrove Sun 17-Nov-19 21:08:13

Wash that mouth out with gin and tonic Gonegirl.....it’s all good stuff.
And who doesn’t wish that their soul was in the form of a talking animal?

oldgimmer1 Sun 17-Nov-19 21:34:31

Just watching Craith/Hidden. Very dark.

jo1book Sun 17-Nov-19 21:35:30

I'm with you gg. Refusing to watch WofTW again. Add to this The Name of the Rose, for more dismal viewing.

Iam64 Sun 17-Nov-19 21:53:44

Dark Materials is wonderful. I'm with lemon, who doesn't want a daemon (my children reckon one of our dogs is my daemon)
It's so very very good and we have yet to meet the armoured bears.

lilypollen Sun 17-Nov-19 21:55:37

I think a lot of the dramas have become too clever and probably millennials are involved so don't give a fig whether others get it or not. And of course everything has to be PC as well.

Gonegirl Sun 17-Nov-19 22:00:18

Oh is that what the animals are? Their souls. No wonder I couldn't read the daft books.

MawB Sun 17-Nov-19 22:03:08

Heavy?
In past years we have had War and Peace, Vanity Fair amongst other classics.
How are “His Dark Materials” and “The War of the Worlds” ”heavy” ?

merlotgran Sun 17-Nov-19 22:03:29

War of the Worlds is good. Poor old Woking. Not got a lot to recommend it at the moment. grin

Calendargirl Sun 17-Nov-19 22:07:24

Haven’t watched His Dark Materials, trailers with talking animals put me off. Watched first The Name of the Rose, no more. Have just watched WOTW, never read the book, not impressed. Thought Eleanor Tomlinson looked very pretty in her Edwardian clothes and hair do.

Gonegirl Sun 17-Nov-19 22:08:29

True about Woking merlot.

Just not my thing Maw. I will clear off and let others enjoy it though. smile

Alima Sun 17-Nov-19 22:09:08

Call the Midwife will be back after Christmas, worth waiting for. (Woking town centre is currently being transformed. Will no doubt look good when it is done but what a mess right now. Don’t know if the pizza place will be saved or if any triffids about. Oops, sorry, wrong book).

Gonegirl Sun 17-Nov-19 22:09:41

Yes, I gave up on Name of the Rose.

Gonegirl Sun 17-Nov-19 22:10:37

Hooray. (Midwife)

GrandmaKT Sun 17-Nov-19 22:14:05

I don't know about Woking, but the scenes in the woods in War of the Worlds were filmed here in Ainsdale (north of Liverpool). They made a bit of a mess of our nature reserve! (but I believe left money for it to be restored).

BlueBelle Sun 17-Nov-19 22:15:07

Totally with you gonegirl can’t be doing with talking animals my soul ain’t no animal ta

Summerlove Sun 17-Nov-19 22:15:43

I think a lot of the dramas have become too clever and probably millennials are involved so don't give a fig whether others get it or not. And of course everything has to be PC as well.

What a nasty little comment.

How interesting that you put down millennials as being too clever...while suggesting everyone is dense?

Just insulting to everyone.

BlueSapphire Sun 17-Nov-19 22:18:08

I love His Dark Materials, and just love the daemons. Spend half the programme wondering what my daemon would be or what it would be if I could choose my own. I quite fancy a wolf; I think a falcon would have suited late DH very well. Didn't bother with War of the Worlds.
Must admit that is the only drama on tv I am watching at the moment. Too much depressing drama and doom and gloom. Would love another Last Tango in Halifax!

Gonegirl Sun 17-Nov-19 22:19:20

Who actually are 'millennials' anyway? What does it mean?

Gonegirl Sun 17-Nov-19 22:20:33

Why is that a "nasty little comment"? Sounds alright to me.

Summerlove Sun 17-Nov-19 22:24:56

Gonegirl, because it’s blatantly insulting to everyone?

It’s not ok to be nasty to those younger than you because they are younger.

Its also insulting to be told because I’m older than millennials that I don’t understand their shows.

Blatantly rude to everyone. But you know that. You just love being contrary, and any chance to get a dig in on those younger than you!

Callistemon Sun 17-Nov-19 22:26:31

I thinkmillenials are getting on a bit now, one of my DC is apparently a millennial, born in 1982, 18 (of age) in 2000.
Mind you, she is very 'woke' grin

Vanity Fair - I missed that! sad

Gonegirl Sun 17-Nov-19 22:27:42

'ang on while I work out what you're on about. confused

Gonegirl Sun 17-Nov-19 22:29:09

moon

merlotgran Sun 17-Nov-19 22:30:31

I googled the definition of millennials but it's all beyond me. confused