Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Confession - I have never watched it!

(47 Posts)
Kate1949 Mon 19-Apr-21 09:42:58

I'm not sure you should watch anything just because someone else thinks you should.
I love Line of Duty but came to it late. I never had an interest in watching The Sopranos and came to that late. What a fantastic series. I was hooked. My favourite of all.

JaneJudge Mon 19-Apr-21 09:35:32

Never watched Line of Duty
Game of Thrones
Break Bad
The sopranos
The Wire
Unforgotten
or Spiral
This is Us
and many many others people seem obsessed with
I watched Peaky blinders once for a bit but the accents were just awful so I had to turn it off

Redhead56 Mon 19-Apr-21 09:33:40

I tried to watch it because my friends said I was missing out. I just could not get into it at all it’s like a soap opera not for me.

baubles Mon 19-Apr-21 09:25:56

There’s no reason why you should watch it if it’s of no interest to you. I have watched it since it began because I love a well written police or crime drama. The Sopranos was a brilliant series.

There are so many programmes which don’t interest me in the slightest but I’ve never thought that I should watch them.

Do you watch TV at all Oldwoman, if so what do you enjoy?

nanna8 Mon 19-Apr-21 09:25:21

I’ve never watched Home and Away and only a couple of episodes of Neighbours years ago. I like Line of Duty but we are only up to series 5 here. Looking forward to series 6. One I never got into was The Wire.

Chestnut Mon 19-Apr-21 09:24:13

I find Line of Duty very intriguing and exciting. The plot is so complex you could easily watch it again from the start (over time). I don't like blood and gore so I have to look away for the murders, but I am a fan of the series.

I checked out Breaking Bad on Wiki and that was enough for me. The characters all seem to be involved in drugs and murder, so if that is 'current culture' then you can keep it.

Oldwoman70 Mon 19-Apr-21 09:20:28

In my defence not many of my friends watch it either so it isn't a topic of conversation when we talk - I think I am just intrigued that so many people seem gripped by it

Witzend Mon 19-Apr-21 09:19:52

We’ve never watched Peaky Blinders and have to admit I hadn’t a clue who Helen McRory was.

Only ever watched one series of Line of Duty.
Currently catching up with Unforgotten, having gone through 6 series of Spiral since Christmas. (Strictly rationed, one episode per night).

Oldwoman70 Mon 19-Apr-21 09:15:27

MerylStreep

The world and his wife were watching Game of Thrones.
I never thought for one moment ^should I be watching this^

Game of Thrones is another I didn't watch (beginning to think there is no hope for me!)

kircubbin2000 Mon 19-Apr-21 09:14:30

Sopranos is Shakespearean in the way the relationships work. Brilliant writing. I've watched it 2 or 3 times and will probably watch it again.

Parsley3 Mon 19-Apr-21 09:06:51

If you choose to give it a go then set aside plenty of viewing time. It has to be watched from the first series or it will make no sense at all. Personally, I have to watch each episode twice as there are so many clues to spot. I also listen to two Podcasts which discuss each episode. Obsessed? Haud yer wheesht, fella.

keepingquiet Mon 19-Apr-21 09:06:15

Me neither- I watched a couple of episodes and couldn't figure out what was going on so I don't bother trying. Just because everyone else finds it unmissable doesn't mean you have to. Watch what you like!

BlueBelle Mon 19-Apr-21 09:04:16

I ve tried twice with Line of Duty but didn’t get into it at all but I suppose that’s because I haven’t seen it for the start and I really can’t be bothered or have the time to go though 36 odd hours of watching
Some dramas you can pick up on without going back to the beginning but obviously with Line of duty isn’t one of them
I have never seen breaking bad or sopranos so won’t bother now

NannyJan53 Mon 19-Apr-21 09:02:05

I have never watched it either. Seen clips, and it just does not grab me!

MerylStreep Mon 19-Apr-21 09:01:55

The world and his wife were watching Game of Thrones.
I never thought for one moment should I be watching this

Pittcity Mon 19-Apr-21 08:58:11

You should definately definitely watch!!

sodapop Mon 19-Apr-21 08:52:55

No need to watch if it doesn't interest you Oldwoman it's not everyone's cup of tea. I never understood what made Breaking Bad so popular but my husband loved it.
I agree with Marydoll's comments, I am a fan of Line of Duty.

Marydoll Mon 19-Apr-21 08:48:11

Oldwoman, Line of Duty is so cleverly written and full of twists, turns and red herrings. Just when you think you have worked it out, another spanner is thrown into the works.

You do have to watch it from the beginning to get it.

Oldwoman70 Mon 19-Apr-21 08:45:39

Started watching Breaking Bad - hated it, never watched Sopranos. What is it about Line of Duty and Sopranos that means I should be watching them?

kircubbin2000 Mon 19-Apr-21 08:43:15

You should also have seen Breaking Bad and Sopranos to keep up with current culture.

kircubbin2000 Mon 19-Apr-21 08:42:09

Yes, you should watch it but you will need to start at series one to understand it.

Oldwoman70 Mon 19-Apr-21 08:39:09

Every newspaper and radio programme seems obsessed with Line of Duty - and I have never watched a single episode blush. Despite not watching it I am aware there appears to be a "clue" in the misspelling of a word.

I know there is a thread for fans of the programme and I don't want to hijack it - so can anyone tell me why it is so popular and should I really be watching it?