Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Taboo

(45 Posts)
Teetime Wed 11-Jan-17 14:52:17

Anyone else watching this? It took me a couple of goes as I went to sleep the first time round but now I have concentrated I thinks it very good. The main actor reminds me of Oliver Reed as Bill Sykes so that's all good then (yes I know he's not everyone's cup of tea).

tanith Wed 11-Jan-17 15:05:12

We watched it was quite good although I think the storyline might prove to be very obvious regarding the title. We'll carry on watching for now at least.

Lona Wed 11-Jan-17 18:49:14

Yes, I watched it and enjoyed it, because it's right up my street. I love all that gloomy, threatening stuff. Is the taboo, incest or black magic?

rosesarered Wed 11-Jan-17 19:07:48

Probably both Lona.I thought it quite good, in a dark, gloomy muddy atmospheric way a bit more like a dark fairy tale than aiming for reality.
Yes, the character reminded me of Bill Sykes too Teetime strolling allong with his top hat and hound.

Grannyknot Wed 11-Jan-17 20:04:20

I read an interview with Tom Hardy about the role, and he previously played Bill Sykes in a stage production and he said in the interview "he's in there" plus a few others I can't remember now!

I agree it's good. I like Jonathan Pryce too and am fascinated by the Dutch East India Company angle.

POGS Thu 19-Jan-17 19:27:54

I caught up with the first 2 episode's today and I really enjoyed it.

I rate Tom Hardy as an actor anyway but the scenery, make up, costumes, direction and acting were excellent.

I am enjoying the story line and genuinely looking forward to episode 3.

dahlia Thu 19-Jan-17 19:50:50

Just watched episode 2 and we are both really enjoying this new series. Tom Hardy is a fine actor, and to my surprise I caught him on CBB's telling one of their goodnight stories - he was actually smiling! My 5-year-old GD suitably entranced! I really felt the outdoor scenes were particularly good, you could smell the stink!

grannylyn65 Thu 19-Jan-17 20:13:55

Indeed!!

POGS Fri 20-Jan-17 09:33:31

Did you know?

We were talking about Taboo last night and a friend pointed out that it was created by Tom Hardy, his father and Steven Knight of 'Peaky Blinders' notoriety.

Also 'Ridley Scott' joined them as a producer.

I don't look at the credits but if I had I would have understood why it has such a quality about it.

Teetime Fri 20-Jan-17 10:05:51

Its really good I am enjoying this more than anything I have seen for a long time.

Teetime Fri 20-Jan-17 10:15:57

I just read Tom Hardy's biography and was surprised to see he is only 5ft 9 ins - he looks enormous in Taboo.

Greyduster Fri 20-Jan-17 13:20:44

I am quite enjoying this series, dark though it is in both senses of the word. I assume that Edward Fox will be involved in flashback scenes as James Delaney's father; he's somewhat underused at the moment! I do like Edward Fox.

mamamags Sun 29-Jan-17 13:32:13

I find this series to be compelling viewing and I love the sound of Tom Hardy's voice but I feel that some of the scenes can be a little distressing and the sex ones too torrid. GOod job it's on after the 9pm viewing

dogsmother Sun 29-Jan-17 13:36:12

Thoroughly enjoying it, keeps the imagination on alert.

Badenkate Sun 29-Jan-17 14:58:53

I must admit I gulped a bit at the part by the mill! The sex scenes don't bother me, but I don't like productions where half the action seem to be grunts and groans and arty shots of bits of body. At least these were interestingly done blush.

Christinefrance Sun 29-Jan-17 16:59:34

My husband is really enjoying this series but I cannot get into it at all. No idea why as I usually like period stuff. Think it may be the violence, I didn't watch Peaky Blinders either so maybe there is a thread here.

Grannyknot Sun 29-Jan-17 17:03:27

Tom Hardy is reading the bed time story for CBeeBies on Valentine's Day:

www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/tom-hardy-to-return-to-cbeebies-bedtime-stories-on-valentine-s-day-a3450996.html

He's growing on me. Not sure where Taboo is going with the voodoo stuff, though!

kittylester Sun 29-Jan-17 17:26:30

I find it distressing and do a crossword when it's on. DH loves it! I do quite like Tom Hardy!!blush

rosesarered Sun 29-Jan-17 21:36:27

Tom Hardy looks taller....it's the top hat teetime about a foot high!

rosesarered Sun 29-Jan-17 21:37:19

I do wish he would have a bath now and then.Maybe put a clean shirt on.

POGS Mon 30-Jan-17 00:20:27

I'm still hooked on it and love Tom Hardy.

I hadn't appreciated the fact Nootka Sound is a genuine area, it looks a beautiful place to live or visit for a holiday.

Badenkate Wed 15-Feb-17 11:24:02

Just watched Tom Hardy telling me a bedtime story blush

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08fm3vl/cbeebies-bedtime-stories-580-tom-hardy-the-cloudspotter

Well - it's a long time till Saturday sad

Grannyknot Sun 19-Feb-17 21:31:44

Is it just me or has it gone very weird in the last 2 episodes!? confused

rosesarered Sun 19-Feb-17 22:22:31

Just watched the penultimate episode, can't wait to see the last one.Surprised that he sent his sister packing, and wish he would be a bit kinder to his own son.He and Brace still haven't out on a clean shirt.

Badenkate Sun 19-Feb-17 22:28:49

Read a review that said the central character was undeveloped and uninteresting - clearly not written by a woman! blush?. Love it and can't wait till next Saturday. Apparently 2 more series are being talked about.

I am trying to perfect my grunt.