Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Outlander

(31 Posts)
paddyann Fri 15-Sep-17 18:56:08

we just started watching this last week ,now on episode 13 .Its really good,well written and acted,beautifully filmed with fantastic lighting and I'm enjoying every minute of it,The only problem I have is the music....its stunningly hauntingly beautiful and I'm reduced to tears nightly by it.Has anyone else watched this and had the same reaction to the music..or is it just me whose heartstrings are being yanked ?I'll be an emotional wreck by the end of the series

lemongrove Fri 15-Sep-17 19:36:43

Yes, it's a great series, very well acted, great scenery and men
in kilts,what more could we want?? A cracking love story as well.

lemongrove Fri 15-Sep-17 19:40:18

The music is lovely, but doesn't have the same effect on me as you paddyann but the music and the girls dancing by the stones holding lanterns is a giid scene setter forthe story.
For those of a faint hearted disposition: there is a lot of sex.Don't watch this with your elderly Mother.?

lemongrove Fri 15-Sep-17 19:41:49

Sorry, grr, iPad mistakes. Good not giid.Do not watch this with your elderly Mother.

BlueBelle Fri 15-Sep-17 20:00:46

Why not, old are often as naughty as young !

lemongrove Fri 15-Sep-17 20:03:26

Please yourself, but if you are embarrassed, I did warn you.grin

Christinefrance Fri 15-Sep-17 20:06:04

My favourite books of all time the Outlander series. Love the TV series as well, as you say paddyann the music is beautiful ( and great sex ) smile

lemongrove Fri 15-Sep-17 20:10:40

I haven't read the books, so it's new to me.Am wondering how Claire could return to Frank ( if she ever does) knowing that he looks just like Black thingy ( baddie Redcoat Captain)?

travelsafar Sat 16-Sep-17 08:14:52

I have been watching this from the beginning and I love it.

Christinefrance Sat 16-Sep-17 08:38:48

New book coming out next year, a treat to myself to buy it in hardback smile

J52 Sat 16-Sep-17 10:19:35

Yes I agree, it's great. I haven't read the books, but enjoy the anticipation of the next episode, after each cliff hanger.

margrete Sat 16-Sep-17 11:12:13

I'm working my way through the book series on my Kindle. Last week we crossed the Channel in bad weather and I was so absorbed I didn't even notice it. Other times I'd have been as bad as Jamie, very very seasick!

fiorentina51 Sat 16-Sep-17 11:52:28

I've been watching it too and have read all the books so far. I got hooked whilst on holiday in the Highlands and, having run out of reading material, wandered into a bookshop in Inverness and picked up the first book in the series. Four more holidays later and I'd completed the series.
The TV show is a pretty faithful adaptation and yes, there's an awful lot of sex and violence too!
For those who are real fanatics, there's a fan club called Outlandish UK.
I'm not a member but several of my aquaintances are.

NanKate Sat 23-Sep-17 22:16:51

I agree ChristineFrance the Outlander series are my favourite books too. I have just started re-reading all the books and they are even better second time round.

I'm so pleased the tv series is faithful to the books. However Jamie in my mind is a bit more butch than actor who plays him. Claire is just right. I think Diana Gabaldone looks like her heroine in my eyes too.

Tegan2 Sat 23-Sep-17 22:38:28

I've run out of Game of Thrones and Vikings so am trying to get into Outlander. Not finding it as addictive as the other two. Think Claire is a bit posh, and Frank, in both eras is horrible, but Jamie is lovely. It's growing on me, though.

Christinefrance Sun 24-Sep-17 09:35:43

I've read them twice too NanaKate so much detail to take in. Have you read the Lord John series?

NanKate Mon 25-Sep-17 22:22:38

I have read one in the Lord John series Christine but it was some years back and I can't remember much about it.

Do you have any other authors you particularly enjoy ? Elly Griffiths stories set in East Anglia are great but need to be read in order. She has a lovely dry sense of humour.

Marmight Tue 26-Sep-17 02:21:55

I've been watching it too and am really enjoying it. I know a lot of the places where it's filmed which makes it extra interesting and part of the latest series was filmed in the Castle in our village. (DD3 knew Sam Heughan/Jamie when they both attended a youth theatre in Edinburgh some years ago. I think he's lovely but don't think she was quite so enamoured............!!)

Christinefrance Tue 26-Sep-17 09:42:06

I like the Elly Griffiths stories too NanaKate I also enjoyed the CJ Sansom books.
The Wideacre trilogy by Phillippa Gregory was good, I read those some time ago but worth a second read.

annodomini Tue 26-Sep-17 10:00:06

I watched the first two episodes of Outlander but I don't really like time-slip stories - don't ask me why. I just don't. As for Elly Griffiths - I'm a huge fan. We lived for 7 years in North West Norfolk, near King's Lynn so the landscapes are still familiar to me. The characters have become old friends and I eagerly look forward to the next - and the next... in the series.

lemongrove Tue 26-Sep-17 10:38:02

Tegan2 ?Yes, agree about both Franks!

Tegan2 Tue 26-Sep-17 11:40:26

anno; it took several episodes for me to embrace it so it might be worth persevering with it; once it gets more 'historical' it becomes quite fascinating. For some reason, I dislike Frank in both eras and don't like the modern Claire, but love the Scottish one. Also fascinated by how actors do English accents (is she Irish?) whilst acting....does it make sense that I can understand someone going from BBC English to Scots,Irish, Australian (Brummie!) but not posh English. One of the young kings in GoT's who's proper east end is always thanking his voice coach. I've just finished episode 10 and realised I have 10 more of series 1 to get through, but we have friends staying so I'll have to wait a few days before I can get to episode 11 (and also having to avoid spoilers all the time!).

Tegan2 Tue 03-Oct-17 23:43:37

I've just finished season one. I have enjoyed the ones that hardly had Randall in them but found that the ones that did sickened me; I've never read or watched any of the 50 Shades of Grey books films but can't help but feel there is a similarity (sado massochistic?).Given that I love Game of Thrones and that includes a lot of sex and violence, I can't quite pinpoint why Outlander bothers me so much.I am going to buy series 2. The scenery and music is lovely.

travelsafar Sun 29-Oct-17 07:11:17

Has this program finished?

I couldnt find it last week or the previous week.

f77ms Sun 29-Oct-17 08:45:09

No Travelasfar , I am watching it at the moment on More4 .
I enjoy it very much despite the time travel . I love the characters and the costumes especially the kilts! not sure how realistic it is thou\gh , I think life would have been pretty hard and people would not have been so attractive .