Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Lucy Worsley

(23 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 22:17:11

Anyone share my enjoyment of her history lessons ?

ginny Sun 22-Oct-17 22:29:57

Yes, I do. Enjoying her current programme on opera .

ginny Sun 22-Oct-17 22:31:39

Yes, I do. Enjoying the current one on opera too.

Tegan2 Mon 23-Oct-17 00:02:18

Yes; I love all of her programmes. Haven't seen the opera one yet, though.

Anniebach Mon 23-Oct-17 03:15:10

Just as her other programmes Tegan, every minute is enjoyable,

NfkDumpling Mon 23-Oct-17 07:55:03

Love her programmes but I can't stand opera (except G & S). I started to watch the first one in the hopes I'd learn to understand it and like it better. But glazed over quite quickly so I'm not watching this series.

Smithy Mon 23-Oct-17 09:07:48

Particularly liked her Henry V111 series.

Nelliemoser Mon 23-Oct-17 09:32:40

I like her. She seems to have developed her style of presentation a lot since she started.
At first I felt she was rather stern and too serious. But to me she now seems to have let her sense of humour show.

yggdrasil Mon 23-Oct-17 09:45:46

I don't like opera, but this series is really interesting for the historical and political insights. Gives you quite a different picture.

Jane10 Mon 23-Oct-17 09:56:39

I once saw a review of one of her programmes and it referred to her as 'fizzy swotty' Lucy Worsley. I entirely agreed. She's interesting and fun to watch.

Anniebach Mon 23-Oct-17 10:01:04

I like fizzy swotty, sums her up ?

Azie09 Mon 23-Oct-17 10:59:48

I think she's great. I loved the latest programmes about the history of opera, her dressing up and role playing just adds to making history fun while you learn!

nigglynellie Mon 23-Oct-17 13:41:15

I love her programmes, Shes so enthusiastic and a pleasure to watch.

Anniebach Mon 23-Oct-17 14:01:17

Definitely Niggly, she doesn't lecture does she, she shares her enthusiasm

Deedaa Mon 23-Oct-17 21:36:37

I always enjoy Lucy. Why shouldn't programmes be fun as well as educational?

Chewbacca Mon 23-Oct-17 21:40:38

Yes I like her very much. For me, she brings history to life, really making sense of events and why they happened as they did. I've never been bored or lost interest in any of her programmes because she's so enthusiastic, without being overly dramatic.

Anniebach Mon 23-Oct-17 21:43:24

Exactly Deeda and Lucy's programmes are just that which is why they are so enjoyable.

GrandmaMoira Mon 23-Oct-17 21:47:13

Yes, I like her. I also like Janina Ramirez.

Tegan2 Mon 23-Oct-17 23:33:09

Yes; Janina's got a new series about the reformation on BBC4. I love all of her programmes [although can never work out how she manages to walk in some of those shoes confused].

MawBroon Tue 24-Oct-17 09:24:31

Both Lucy Worsley and Janina Ramirez are highly respected historians and excellent communicators.
Unfortunately I do not share the enthusiasm for Lucy’s dressing up at the slightest opportunity. It dumbs down what she is saying for me, and has become too much of a “signature” or cliché, as has the trend for presenters to “have a go” at whatever (often complex) skill they are showing us. Thinking of Michael Portillo here, but I digress.
So while I agree with most of you, for me, the “girly” dressing up demeans Worsley as a historian.
(Ducks ? ? ? behind parapet)

Anniebach Tue 24-Oct-17 10:21:36

Why can't a historian be girly? Why not make history interesting with a little humour added

Jinty44 Thu 02-Nov-17 21:03:54

I don't see her 'dressing up' as being 'girly'. She often focuses on the social history aspect, the lives of ordinary people. I find the dressing up, particularly when she's going into details with a costume historian, really interesting. How was your life dictated to by what you needed to wear, and vice versa? How easily could you move, what did your clothing express about you to others The contrast between Puritan clothing and what was worn in the court of Charles II (basically it should be capable of being completely shucked with one hand movement) was particularly enlightening!

Lovetopaint037 Thu 30-Nov-17 19:41:04

We love her. That cheeky way she has of drawing you into her assessment of happenings of the time by lowering her voice and rolling her eyes in a knowing fashion generates amusement but delivers knowledge.