Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Call the midwife

(266 Posts)
Shirleyw Mon 22-Jan-18 05:47:21

I love it, I enjoyed last nights start to the new series. Any other call the midwife fans here ?

Alima Mon 22-Jan-18 06:38:17

I have always enjoyed this series, seems so right for Sunday evening viewing. Looks like the new midwife will fit in seamlessly too!

cornergran Mon 22-Jan-18 07:46:27

Thoroughly enjoy it, partly I think because my Mums family were from the East End, agree with alima, just right for Sunday evenings.

TwiceAsNice Mon 22-Jan-18 08:32:53

Me and two daughters settled down t.o watch it together last night. DD2 remarked you need something like it to watch on a Sunday night before they both start work for another week. We all cried when the guy told his dying wife he loved her.

farview Mon 22-Jan-18 08:36:09

First time have watched it..loved it..but cried buckets

Smithy Mon 22-Jan-18 08:45:11

Absolutely love this programme and nearly always cry. I think its good for you, those sort of tears release a few tensions. As you say, perfect for Sunday evening.

Maggiemaybe Mon 22-Jan-18 08:58:45

I can only agree, it's perfect Sunday evening viewing, and guaranteed to make me cry. smile Then I sat back with a bit of silver surfing -and napping while DH watched McMafia - I decided last week to give up on it (definitely not perfect Sunday evening viewing, imho).

Jane10 Mon 22-Jan-18 09:02:19

I can't stand this programme - yet I watch it! Mawkish sentimentality.
However, I'm starting to recognise items and clothes and attitudes that I actually remember! Feeling old.

Lindylou51 Mon 22-Jan-18 09:03:11

I have been a fan of this since the beginning and LOVE it. Just the thing for a winter's evening viewing. DH enjoys it too! I also have a bit of a weep in most episodes.

OurKid1 Mon 22-Jan-18 09:10:28

Absolutely brilliant as always! I have the boxed set for all the series, plus Christmas specials, which I've been working my way through. Sadly only two episodes to go ... then I may just start again!
Last night's brought back so many memories - that snow, which seemed to go on and on and on ... and yet we still carried on pretty much as normal. unlike the softies nowadays but then I guess there were fewer cars and people were used to walking to work, school etc. Also no central heating to break down in those days, so we just huddled around the fire and got dressed in bed, having put our clothes between the blanket and eiderdown to keep warm overnight.

travelsafar Mon 22-Jan-18 09:27:53

Oh how I love this series. Like many others I always get a lump in my throat and tear in my eye, especially when you see a new born baby. How I wish i could go back to those days in my life and hold my babies in my arms once more.
This series evokes many feelings of warmth, nostalgia and a yearning for another time in me.

Lindylo Mon 22-Jan-18 09:54:48

I love this programme. I can remember the 60s so it's nostalgia for me. Mind you I do have to cross my legs sometimes!

Bathsheba Mon 22-Jan-18 09:55:50

I've always loved this series - don't think I've ever missed an episode. Well you don't have to these days, do you, because there's always catch-up! Last night's episode did not disappoint and like others, I felt my eyes filling as the old fellow was saying his goodbyes. And wasn't Phyllis Crane brilliant in putting the police sergeant in his place? "No, my uniform will speak to your uniform, not the other way round" (or words to that effect).
Love it! Roll on next Sunday smile

Maggiemaybe Mon 22-Jan-18 10:00:33

Try the books, Jane10, they're far from mawkish!

Grandma70s Mon 22-Jan-18 10:11:37

I wasn’t expecting this to be as good as it was. I often find it too sentimental, but this was wonderful. First I was pleased to see the 1963 freeze portrayed just as I remember it. Then. I got completely hooked on the story of the old German Jewish couple. What acting from Allan Corduner (is that right?) as Arnold.

Anniebach Mon 22-Jan-18 10:14:54

I too enjoy the programme, I don't think it mawkish, it tells stories of real life, men do love their wives and are devasted when they die. Family doctors did have time to talk to patients, people did give a home to children with problems , Nuns did work hard as nurses , teachers etc.

Now we only hear of the cruel side of each decade

Bathsheba Mon 22-Jan-18 10:25:12

Well said Annie, yes it was like that. The very term "family doctor" seems to be a thing of the past nowadays - our practice has recently merged with three others in the area and the GPs never know from one week to the next which surgery they'll be working from. They certainly wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of knowing all the patients on their books.

harrigran Mon 22-Jan-18 10:29:07

Read the book so knew I would love the series. I worked through that snowy winter, leaving the house at an ungodly hour to catch the bus to the hospital. The fashions and the music bring back happy memories.

Alexa Mon 22-Jan-18 10:35:33

I love it. I cried during at least half of it. Yes, Phyllis Crane was great at persuading the policeman. I loved the Jewish mourning ceremony, and the working class solidarity was expressed by a man wearing a Muslim's headgear among the mourners.

Jane10 Mon 22-Jan-18 10:47:04

It's that sickly voiceover at the start that sets my teeth on edge. The stories from the book were all used several series ago. Judging by the various 'feelgood' cliche characters and situations created by cynical writers it feels like they set out to manipulate our emotions. I dislike being manipulated!

Franbern Mon 22-Jan-18 11:11:53

Yes, I enjoyed it for an easy Sunday evening to watch. But they do sentamalise so much. Even back then, would a GP really be able to spend so much of his time with one dying patient, as well as a highly qualified nurse? I have strong memories of that year. My engagement party was held on the 6th January. Although I can remember the snow piled up high in London for weeks and weeks, do not remember it continuing to actually fall. It was just frozen. I and all my family and friends went to work exactly as normal the whole time. Cannot remember arranged leccie cuts - surely that was a decade later during the 'winter of discontent'.
The mourning prayers - why was not the chief mourner, the husband part of it. He should have been, and why held outside - should have been in the house with daughter and hubbie sitting 'shiva' on low chairs.
To be an unmarried mother back then would have caused a stir, cannot see many parents allowing their precious children to attend a dancing class run by one such!!!
Never mind, it is virtually entirely fiction - and easy to watch, but no documentary on the times, etc.

merlotgran Mon 22-Jan-18 11:21:00

It's not a documentary it's a feelgood Sunday evening drama.

Great to see all the familiar characters back again. I do find the doctor and his wife a bit soppy and I'm not sure I trust Trixie's man but the others make up for that.

Shirleyw Mon 22-Jan-18 11:23:01

I wonder if eventually there will be a little love interest between nurse crane and the sergeant? Hope so lol...

Grandma70s Mon 22-Jan-18 12:24:11

In 1963 we were without water for what seemed ages, had to go down three floors with a bucket and out in the freezing cold to the standpipe in the road. I was a student in London at the time.

joannapiano Mon 22-Jan-18 12:37:36

We really enjoyed the start of the new series. The original books are excellent. I remember the Winter of 1963 and the snow piled three feet high in the gutters in London. Us children used to balance on top and try to walk along.We only had one coal fire in our terraced house, and an outside loo.