Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Shetland

(69 Posts)
jusnoneed Wed 14-Feb-18 08:54:09

How good to have Shetland back, after the disappointing new ones of Endeavour and Silent Witness.
What an ending to first of the series!
And Tosh is staying, was sorry when they made it look as if she was going to be leaving at the end of the last series.

Katek Wed 14-Feb-18 08:58:57

Loved it ..... had to go google and find out if Malone is in the next episode after last night’s scary ending!

Greyduster Wed 14-Feb-18 09:31:44

Second that. Loved the books, loved the tv series’ and a good start to this one.

mollie Wed 14-Feb-18 09:35:07

Yes, good to have it back. The cast and setting are great but do we need another story of a bad conviction, a creepy guy and a mob of vigilantes? There must be all sorts of other opportunities for a good crime mystery on those islands, surely? I know this isn’t Ann Cleeves writing so have they taken the easy option?

Luckygirl Wed 14-Feb-18 09:53:53

It's great - but can't hear the dialogue!

Teetime Wed 14-Feb-18 09:55:05

Love Shetland books and TV.

Eloethan Wed 14-Feb-18 09:58:11

It is very good but I too sometimes find it difficult to hear what is being said.

merlotgran Wed 14-Feb-18 10:16:11

DH was moaning about everything being dark and I was moaning because I couldn't hear what was being said.

As you can probably tell....We enjoyed it. grin

jordana Wed 14-Feb-18 10:52:10

We thoroughly enjoyed watching Shetland. Good story. As someone says, some of the new dramas have been dissapointing so hopefully this one will be consistently good

felice Wed 14-Feb-18 11:02:28

Enjoyed it until the end, until the vulnerable deaf lady with the abusive ex-partner and more locks on the door than Fort Knox, was standing in huge lit glass windows, With No Curtains, aaaarrrrggghhhhh
Considering it was her flatmate who had been murdered I just despair.

varian Wed 14-Feb-18 11:06:24

Shetland is not actually as bleak as depicted- the sun does shine some of the time , whereas in Midsummer, Portwen, Oxford and other murder hotspots the sun seems to shine a lot. Jersey, when inhabited by Bergerac was the most absurd travelogue advertisement.

varian Wed 14-Feb-18 11:09:58

Sorry to have gone off at a bit of a tangent. The filming of Shetland is atmospheric in the Nordic noir tradition.

mollie Wed 14-Feb-18 11:38:29

Locks!!! That explains it, I heard Tosh say ‘Is that why all the rocks’ and thought that’s novel. She’ll throw them when need be, will she? I must put my hearing aids in!!!

NanKate Thu 15-Feb-18 08:15:18

What a relief to find something decent to watch. I always have the subtitles on for the odd word I miss.

I do find the landscape bleak with no trees. Is it the wind on Shetland that causes this ?

grumppa Thu 15-Feb-18 10:56:16

Can't stand the unremitting gloom of Douglas Henshall. Shetland Tourist Board should be up in arms.

Katek Thu 15-Feb-18 13:27:24

That type of scenery is common right down the east coast to south of Aberdeen NanKate - wind blows in straight off the North Sea. Anything that does grow reasonably tall has a 45 degree list and that includes us as we walk into the wind!

Caledonai14 Fri 16-Feb-18 00:33:16

I quite like this series but am very sad that only one of the characters has a Shetland accent. The rest sound like they come from Glasgow.

NanKate Fri 16-Feb-18 07:45:18

Thanks KateK I think I must have become a southern softie enjoying a mild climate and lots of trees.

Cold Fri 16-Feb-18 10:28:23

Love this series. DH loves it as well and seems to cope despite English not being his first language

Telly Fri 16-Feb-18 11:21:00

I do like Shetland, but thought Dougie Henshall didn't seem really into the first episode. Just me?

Charleygirl Fri 16-Feb-18 11:27:22

I did enjoy the first episode and for once I could hear and understand every word which was said. Maybe it helps that I am Scottish!

ninathenana Wed 14-Mar-18 17:45:26

This weeks episode made things a whole lot clearer. H and I were llst last week.

Parsleywin Wed 21-Mar-18 00:05:08

I've just enjoyed the final episode of the current series. The actor who played Thomas Malone was outstanding. I've been both frightened by him and for him for weeks!

Pittcity Wed 21-Mar-18 07:36:32

I was so sad for Malone at the end *no spoilers*

Charleygirl Wed 21-Mar-18 07:59:08

Pleased to hear there will be another series next year.