Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Mum new series

(26 Posts)
AyjayF Tue 20-Feb-18 22:14:29

Can't help feeling Mum is showing Hold the Sunset how it should be done!

pollyperkins Tue 20-Feb-18 23:02:25

Well sorry, but DH and I were not impressed. But haven't watched the other one

Eloethan Wed 21-Feb-18 01:19:03

I liked the last series and I still like this but with some reservations.

I am becoming increasingly frustrated that "Mum" is so long-suffering and puts up with the most unpleasant comments. I realise that she is, basically, the only character who is socially "normal" and that that is probably the point.

However, I hope at some stage she tells her brother's ghastly girlfriend where to get off, sets her son and his girlfriend straight on a few matters and puts Michael out of his misery.

notnecessarilywiser Wed 21-Feb-18 08:06:06

Definitely in a higher league than Hold the Sunset; Mum's a gentler version of Two Doors Down IMHO.

I enjoyed its return, but have to admit to wanting to give Michael a shove - at the end of the last series he was a bit more relaxed than last night, wasn't he?

mcem Wed 21-Feb-18 08:51:32

Hold the Sunset didn't impress and haven't yet watched Mum. BUT as R4e listener I 'm becoming fed up of the downtrodden mum suffering unreasonable demands from families.
Have you heard After Henry or Ring around the Bath? Admittedly they are older programmes but the mum trapped in the family, apparently having her needs/wishes ignored and meekly accepting her role as drudge is a recurring theme.
The much-needed kicks up the backsides are never administered.
I find myself muttering about standing up for themselves!

jenpax Wed 21-Feb-18 09:10:46

I love this series and I think the girl friend is not trying to be difficult she is just very very stupid. I agree that the son needs a good kicking though, and as for the hideous girl friend of her brother! I would have shown her the door weeks ago?

pollyperkins Wed 21-Feb-18 09:38:20

I found them all (excluding mum) extremy annoying rather than funny and it was so SLOW!

Smithy Wed 21-Feb-18 09:56:45

I disagree, I find it quite relaxing humour, not to be taken seriously. I wish I had the same demeanour as the "mum" though.

henetha Wed 21-Feb-18 10:49:40

I like this, it makes me smile, even though they do all seem somewhat one sandwich short of a picnic.

ginny Wed 21-Feb-18 13:02:04

Goodness, if. Mum ( watched last night) is better than Hold the Sunset , I won’t bother with either.

TerriBull Wed 21-Feb-18 15:55:37

The relatives of "Mum" are so awful and insensitve I don't know why she has them round her. However, I like Lesley Manville, recently seen her in Phantom Thread, (not everyone's cup of tea)

There was a time when it was thought that once an actress reached a certain age, fewer parts came their way. That hardly seems the case any more, Lesley Manville and Frances McDormand, both 60 I believe, to mention but two, are certainly both getting the recognition they deserve . I can think of plenty of other actresses where age doesn't seem to be an obstacle to them getting good roles.

GillT57 Wed 21-Feb-18 16:08:22

How can two decent, intelligent people be surrounded by such ghastly, dim family? her in-laws are vulgar, her son and dil thick, her sil a social climber.........

Eloethan Wed 21-Feb-18 19:28:32

I think there are plenty of actresses who have stated that as they get older work is very hard to get, whereas age has much less impact on older male actors.

In film and TV anyway, I don't think many story lines revolve round older people - men and women. They tend to get "bit parts".

However, it has been and remains quite common for
actors like Harrison Ford, Denzel Washington, George Clooney, Client Eastwood, to be paired off with actresses significantly younger than themselves. It rarely happens the other way round. The only one I can remember is Susan Sarandon and James Spader in White Palace (a very good film (and book) I think, but pretty steamy).

Shirleyw Thu 22-Feb-18 05:02:07

Caught up with this on iplayer, it has the first series on box set as well. Never watched it when it was first on. Rather an unusual comedy, enjoyed it.

TwiceAsNice Thu 22-Feb-18 08:01:38

I haven't watched Mum but sat down with daughter last night to watch the first episode of Hold the Sunset and we switched it off because it was the worst programme I'd seen in a long time. Truly awful. Was very disappointed as it is the only thing with Alison Steadman in that I remember being such a dud.

Teetime Thu 22-Feb-18 09:07:11

Love Mum - one day she will tell them all what she thinks although in the case of her son's girlfriend I don't think it will have much impact!!! She is a good actress though - remember her in George Gently and a lovely Geordie sitcom whose name I cannot remember.

Jane10 Thu 22-Feb-18 21:36:57

I looked forward to this and recorded it but gave up on it. It was just irritating! Och. BBC seem to have lost the knack of good sitcoms.
Remember 'Yes Minister' for example.

lemongrove Thu 22-Feb-18 21:47:07

Mannville is a good actress and deserves better material than Mum IMHO.
Hold The Sunset looks dreadful.

Tegan2 Sat 24-Feb-18 22:18:35

She's probably one of the few comedy sitcom actresses that's also in line for an Oscar [Phantom thread; not sure if she's nominated but think she is]. I loved the first series but I'm slightly concerned that it was a 'one off' and it might not have been a good idea to continue.

Day6 Sat 24-Feb-18 22:53:49

I watched the first series of Mum on catch-up and was a bit disappointed. It seemed to be trying to be an expanded version of The Royle Family, with slow characters saying silly things and doing very little with long-suffering Mum
holding it all together. The sofa setting and writing of The Royle Family was far superior.

I would have kicked out stupid, thoughtless son and even sillier GF and as for her bringing her awful friends and brassy mother into the house - not on! The vile partner of the brother would not have been allowed over my doorstep. Mum puts up with so much bad behaviour.

It's slow and gentle humour but it all makes me quite angry too. (I know - it's just a programme.)

pensionpat Sat 24-Feb-18 23:19:52

Tee time was it Hebburn with Gina McKay and Jim Reeves as Mum and Dad?

Eloethan Sun 25-Feb-18 00:49:37

I enjoyed the first series but I really think the character ofMum needs to move on a bit or it will become too annoying to see these ghastly people behaving so badly towards her. Like Day6, it makes me quite angry too (which I know is silly).

harrigran Tue 27-Feb-18 09:40:22

Gina McKee and Jim Moir/aka Vic Reeves were brilliant in Hebburn,it was a great sitcom but probably not to everyones taste.
Mum is very clever and observant of family life, let's face it everybody knows a family who have misfits and put upon mothers.

Tegan2 Tue 27-Feb-18 14:01:13

It's classic comedy, really; the funny person has to have a serious person to make them look funny. In mum's case, she isn't the comedy act, it's those around her.

FlorenceN Fri 02-Mar-18 09:06:46

I like 'Mum' although the son and his girlfriend are just a bit too dim in my opinion. I love Peter Mullens character, he's so natural in this role! And the snooty sil is so rude and thinks she's so superior to everyone, she really makes me laugh!!