Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Picnic at Hanging Rock

(25 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 11-Jul-18 13:52:24

I have a vague memory of watching the film of this book years ago so I'm looking forward to the TV dramatization which begins tonight on BBC2.

If the football runs into extra time, I will have to watch it on catch-up. grin

Anniebach Wed 11-Jul-18 13:55:20

I will watch it, thank you merlot

travelsafar Thu 12-Jul-18 08:37:31

I watched this after the football on playback and I couldn't understand what was happening it was all very bizarre!!!!

merlotgran Thu 12-Jul-18 09:51:54

Ha Ha, travalsafar. Now I realise why my recollection of the film is so hazy. I didn't understand it then and I'm none the wiser now. grin

Luckygirl Thu 12-Jul-18 11:37:28

It does have a slightly vague quality!

TerriBull Thu 12-Jul-18 16:34:56

I loved the film, it was a long time ago now, so just have vague memories of a few of the girls clambering up into some rocky area in a dreamy type scenario and then not coming back.I thought I read at the time it was based on a true story, I'm wondering if my memory is playing tricks because that theory seems implausible, disappearing into thin air that is hmm

We recorded this new version last night because of the football, but looking forward to watching it later this evening.

callgirl1 Thu 12-Jul-18 17:37:15

Watched last night, won`t be bothering with the rest of it.

lemongrove Thu 12-Jul-18 20:06:45

Thanks for the info, will get this on catch up.smile

Oopsadaisy53 Thu 12-Jul-18 20:08:18

Watched it years ago, didn’t understand it then, unlikely that I’ll understand what is happening now.

GrandmaKT Thu 12-Jul-18 20:47:56

I've just watched the first episode on iPlayer. Not impressed! Lots of lovely atmospheric photography, but also annoying 'swooshing' special effects. I basically don't have a clue who is who or what is going on!

janeainsworth Thu 12-Jul-18 21:11:42

I remember liking the music.
The story was a modern-day Pied Piper, wasn’t it? Creepy.

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Jul-18 22:49:41

I didn't see the original film and have just watched the first episode on catch-up.

I will await developments - I must say I quite enjoyed it and loved the Australian scenery.
I've been reading some books about early Australia and seeing the girls in their white muslin dresses and other clothes has brought the books more to life too.

Hanging Rock is reputed to be a very eerie place in reality too - where water can appear to go uphill.

Coolgran65 Thu 12-Jul-18 23:15:22

I knew after five minutes that it wasn't for me though dh watched it. Not my style at all.
I was bored....'hmm

Chewbacca Thu 12-Jul-18 23:30:26

Maybe the 2nd episode will pick up pace but this is all too airy fairy for me.

SueDonim Fri 13-Jul-18 01:07:38

We watched this last night. I found it quite spooky - I'm a scaredy cat!

I'm sure I must have either read the book or seen the film at some point but I have no recollection of it at all.

It is purely fiction, but people think it's based on fact because of how the author framed her novel.

Jalima1108 Thu 16-Aug-18 20:06:44

Well, I stuck with it - did anyone else?

A very strange ending and it felt as if this was a true story although I know it was not. It was a novel by Joan Lindsay, who apparently 'dreamt' it.

I did enjoy the scenery but found the tv series very unsettling. Apparently there is a short sequel to the novel, a chapter entitled The Secret at Hanging Rock.

I found this on Wiki if anyone is interested:
[[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picnic_at_Hanging_Rock_(novel)

Jalima1108 Thu 16-Aug-18 20:07:08

sorry, try again

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picnic_at_Hanging_Rock_(novel)

SueDonim Tue 21-Aug-18 21:55:29

I finally got round to watching the rest on Sunday evening. I enjoyed it although it was mad. The dreamy sequences were rather lovely.

I guess it's a study of mass hysteria.

POGS Tue 21-Aug-18 22:27:55

Well I did stick with it but I must admit I wish I hadn't.

I thought it was rubbish. I kept thinking something must happen, it didn't.

SueDonim Tue 21-Aug-18 22:30:39

Oh, thanks for the link, Jalima. Interesting reading although it's a bit scary that the book came out over 50 years ago - surely it was just a decade or two ago? grin

lemongrove Tue 21-Aug-18 23:03:36

Yes, rubbish, but quite entertaining rubbish grin and well acted too.
The headmistress was in GOT ( she looks like a china doll.)

SueDonim Wed 22-Aug-18 12:55:31

That's it, entertaining rubbish. grin

I did think the girl who played Sara was very good - she was a very young thing playing a complex role.

Jalima1108 Wed 22-Aug-18 19:53:11

What is GOT please?

I don't think I want to visit that rock though!

POGS Wed 22-Aug-18 20:19:20

Jalima

Game of Thrones.

I remember her more for playing Anne Bolyne in the BBC Series The Tudors.

Jalima1108 Wed 22-Aug-18 20:23:46

POGS Thanks

Ah yes, that's where I had seen her before (Ann Boleyn)