Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Escape to the Country

(81 Posts)
overthehill Sat 21-Jul-18 23:30:38

Is this programme a fake? I just dip into this now and then. Generally, quite dare I say, senior couple, middle class view the properties.

They always want loads of bedrooms, so the family can visit, loads of land and out houses for workshops/horses/craft rooms etc.

They never end up buying any of the properties despite enthusing over them.

Thinking of myself and DH we certainly wouldn't want to take on such vast places like that at our time if life. We want less to do not more.

All this makes me wonder if the show is just that, a show.

FlexibleFriend Sat 21-Jul-18 23:34:41

Well you must have missed the ones where they back to visit those who did buy what they viewed on the program.

merlotgran Sat 21-Jul-18 23:43:23

Oh, come on. There's only two or three that they've been back to visit.

When they announce at the end of a show that an offer has been accepted I think, Really??

It's a show. A very nice way to relax with a cuppa and have a nosey at some fabulous houses but I'm not fooled.

MissAdventure Sun 22-Jul-18 00:14:52

I just love looking around the houses. I don't care about the couples!

MissAdventure Sun 22-Jul-18 00:17:22

Oh actually I've just remembered I know of a couple that went on there, and they did genuinely want to move.
She is quite a show off though; I've seen her in a few programmes.

Coolgran65 Sun 22-Jul-18 00:20:21

Of love to see a few where the proposed purchasers have a budget of around £150,000. Much more interesting.

maddyone Sun 22-Jul-18 02:02:27

I’m afraid I thought exactly the same thing overthehill, middle aged, middle class, usually loads of money (maybe they’ve had an inheritance!) Always want a huge, ‘family ‘ kitchen, though it’s obvious that their family left the nest years ago, and always want loads of bedrooms so that all their family and friends can visit. But they always want to live miles from anyone else, usually specify ‘no neighbours to be visible’ and must have views. I’m not sure how many have actually thought it through though, because as they age, no nearby neighbours, no friends to visit (friends all too old now) no nearby services such as doctor, shop, etc and a huge house plus garden and often out buildings to care for, and all their actual family living miles away, I think the views may seem a tad less attractive. Add to that few or no bus services, and a growing inability to drive, and many of these couples will be stranded in every way. Good luck to them, I think I’ll stick with my house in a small town with services nearby.

NfkDumpling Sun 22-Jul-18 06:14:06

And they always have sooo much money! Often a youngish couple with funds which can’t be real! I really would love to know how come their available funds are so high, perhaps the streets of London really are paved with gold.

PamelaJ1 Sun 22-Jul-18 06:25:48

And, sooo many of them want to keep llamas or goats.
I remember once there was a couple who wanted to grow their own vegetables so they’d need 5acres! Must have a big freezer.

NfkDumpling Sun 22-Jul-18 06:33:48

Compulsive viewing though!

fiorentina51 Sun 22-Jul-18 06:59:13

DH and I watch it and play a little game at the start....
Will they want lamas, goats, horses, chickens or alpacas?
Will they complain that all the kitchens are too small?
Will they want to generate some income via a glamping business, yurts or holiday let?
Will they actually buy the place at the end?
Some odd couples too. I was intrigued by a recent programme where the pair wanted separate bathrooms. They had never shared one and didn't intend to start now.
Takes all sorts I suppose.

NotAGran55 Sun 22-Jul-18 07:04:21

I know somebody who was on the show and bought the mystery house in Glastonbury.

Blencathra Sun 22-Jul-18 07:04:25

I would like to go back in 5years - I can never imagine why they want such large properties in isolated places with a huge amount of land.
I think some want a free holiday - go and visit properties in the highlands of Scotland and then say at the end 'Mary and John have decided to stay in Derby to be close to their grandchildren'!

Nana3 Sun 22-Jul-18 07:40:58

I used to watch it but bored with it now. Someone always said "it ticks all the boxes".

PamelaJ1 Sun 22-Jul-18 08:04:02

Blencathra, I think you are right about the holiday.
Unfortunately we’re too old or we might try for Wanted down Under!

M0nica Sun 22-Jul-18 08:14:11

I used to enjoy it, but all the programmes are so samey and unlike a programme like Location x 3, you never know whether they really did buy the house and move in.

My DH knews someone who was on it recently. They were thinking of moving to Somerset, but after really looking at the area with the programme, still moved to the country but moved to Derbyshire rather than Somerset.

sodapop Sun 22-Jul-18 08:28:25

Yes they do Nana3 and 'the kitchen is the heart of the house '. I enjoy looking at the houses not really listening to the dialogue.
I would like to see buyers with a more realistic budget from time to time Coolgran let's see how many acres and conservatories can they get for 150,000. Why do they always assume people want a conservatory anyway, I hate them and would never want one even if I had millions to spend.

Oopsadaisy53 Sun 22-Jul-18 08:41:45

I watch it beacause I love looking at the inside of houses, but I only watch the programme if I can afford the house and it’s where I would want to live, but I wish they would have a couple on who only have a small amount of money that would make it more interesting. Apart from that I already live in the country so I’m not sure why I bother to watch it...

I like Homes under the Hammer, I always laugh when the Estate Agents come in after the house has been fixed and they always open the (empty) kitchen cupboard doors, why?

I think there’s a programme called Town or Coast? That’s more my ideal show.

travelsafar Sun 22-Jul-18 08:53:03

NfkDumpling I too wonder where younger couple get vast amounts of money from. Maybe from an inheritance is what i usually think.

seacliff Sun 22-Jul-18 09:00:38

I agree with much of the above,. They often dismiss a perfectly good kitchen as needing replacing because it's not to their taste!! More money than sense.

I've been watching old programmes - A Place in the summer sun. I fast forward through the waffle, it is easy watching when I'm tired. I really like the ones where they have a low budget. I saw one where they had £35,000 and they bought a static home, it was just what they wanted.

I love the old traditional Spanish town houses with an inner courtyard and a roof terrace, they are often like a Tardis.

Sparklefizz Sun 22-Jul-18 09:11:42

maddyone ..... and you've forgotten the requested field for the alpacas!!!

Panache Sun 22-Jul-18 09:20:02

It is the one programme I have watched with great enjoyment from back in the days Catherine Gee was the "plum in mouth" but lovely presenter.

Yes one can beggar the question is it all fake and a made up show with dud would be purchasers asking for these ridiculously big and expensive properties........

However as someone who loves seeing close ups of our lovely country .......both out in the green rolling hills and valleys with their glorious villages dotted around, or quaint little towns,and certainly those properties within the sounds of the sea.
I Love looking "through the keyhole" and internally exploring these homes,enjoying seeing their decor and the design of the properties.

I have never tired of the programme and yes it has visited our area several times and properties that I personally know............whilst yes people do purchase and they move in,not only do we have the odd return visit, but I know of people who have been on the programme as would be purchasers and whom eventually bought one of the properties shown.

So fake it is not,entertaining it is..........for those like myself who enjoy seeing and exploring our countryside from the comfort of my own armchair,whilst taking great interest in the architecture,design,decor and the way the property is "dressed"............marking it from zero to 10 as the case maybe.

It is rather galling nowadays seeing these retirees mainly looking for their one final home with vast money in the kitty,and requests for all these bedrooms,a heart of the home kitchen and the obligatory land for chickens,goats and so forth............but I fear it is going with the times and showing Britain at its more affluent best.
I recall back in the early days the house prices were much less and yes,the expectations and requests were much less too.
Sadly ..........or perhaps rightly......the programme has moved with the times.
But long may it continue I say,no smut no niggles,just lovely banter,the chosen house hunters can make....or break......each show,whilst seeing our beautiful Britain and what it has to offer ...is just great......even though our own pockets may not be quite as generously filled!!!

Charleygirl Sun 22-Jul-18 09:40:03

I also wonder where all of the money comes from and as others have said, it is unrealistic to want to move to the middle of nowhere with a large property and grounds. These folk should be thinking about downsizing.

I also like looking at these fabulous properties with prices to match.

Sparklefizz Sun 22-Jul-18 09:41:58

Actually, I quite agree Panache. I love seeing our beautiful countryside, the fabulous houses and gardens. I do feel it is sometimes rigged, but they are making a programme after all ...... but it's entertaining and often uplifting, and ideal to watch if I'm feeling tired or not well. I love Jules, he's got an infectious laugh.

I prefer it to the programmes showing house-hunting abroad because IMO there's nothing to beat our own countryside with all its stunning variations.

I just wish people would stop saying "Ooh, it's like a tardis inside!" Grrr! Before you go on the programme, think of a few less cliched comments. And I loved it when one of the presenters said the usual "Shall we go inside then?" and the woman said "No! It's not for me!"

seacliff Sun 22-Jul-18 09:45:43

I warm to some of the people much more than others. I do love seeing the varied and beautiful country areas, it's like a little holiday from my armchair. So much better than so called "reality "TV.