Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Should kids live in tower blocks?

(112 Posts)
vickymeldrew Mon 13-Aug-18 21:53:44

Just watching Tower Block Kids. Very thought provoking programme on the lives of children in these overcrowded flats. All of these kids are desperate for a garden and space to play. Meanwhile, people whose children have grown up and left home long ago are still occupying social housing with space and gardens. Why ?

MissAdventure Mon 13-Aug-18 22:04:54

Its a knotty question, but I believe people should shift around into more appropriate homes when their needs change.
Lots of people don't agree with that idea though, and don't want to give up their homes.

Luckygirl Mon 13-Aug-18 22:09:47

My DD has raised 3 children in a high-rise - more upmarket, but very small. They are in negative equity. Thankfully they have made a point of taking their children out and about into nature and parks at every available opportunity. I am very proud of how they have managed.

gillybob Mon 13-Aug-18 22:19:11

Absolutely No! they should not . Speaking as a once upon a time single parent living with my son in an upper floor flat with no outside space, it is very depressing .

Anniebach Mon 13-Aug-18 22:27:45

If my bungalow had two bedrooms should I be moved into a tower block because I live in a council property?

MissAdventure Mon 13-Aug-18 22:30:02

Your mobility isn't so good though, is it Annie?
Everyone in social housing should live in somewhere appropriate to their needs, I think, and a bungalow is ideal for you, I would think?

Anniebach Mon 13-Aug-18 22:36:54

The same as a flat MissAdventure and there would be a lift.

I would like to ask all who own their homes and think people in social housing should be moved around, would you in all honesty want to give up your homes ?

MissAdventure Mon 13-Aug-18 22:41:40

If you were in a 3 bedroom house I would be turfing you out, Annie. grin
I know of a lot of people who have lived in these houses for years, and want to finish their days there, which is understandable, but then so is allowing families to live comfortably.

gillybob Mon 13-Aug-18 22:45:41

No Annie you should not !

My little bug bear is single elderly people being able to stay in 3/4 bedroom houses when young families are forced to live in tiny high rise flats.

The answer of course is to build more one and two bedroom bungalows . A win win situation .

Anniebach Mon 13-Aug-18 22:51:12

So gilly, council house tenants are second class citizens, they must not love their homes where they brought up their families, they mustn’t refer to the property as ‘my home’

This is the privilege of home owners ?

Anniebach Mon 13-Aug-18 22:52:45

MissAdventure you are fortunate to be in the position where your home is your home untill you die.

MissAdventure Mon 13-Aug-18 22:56:21

My daughter was unable to get onto the council list, and was in an upstairs flat with 2 children for a long time.
She was poorly, and my youngest grandson was confined to the flat whilst she was sleeping or not well enough to take him out.
I think its reasonable that as she was born here, she should be able to access social housing, particularly in those circumstances.

gillybob Mon 13-Aug-18 23:00:03

Oh Annie why are you putting words into my mouth?????? That is NOT what I said at all . I have been a council house tenant for most of my life ! Who mentioned “ second class citizens” ??? Only you ! From experience I know several ( lots of) old people who would love to give up large houses (that they cannot afford to heat ) and move into a nice comfy bungalow . Except there are no nice bungalows available to them . I DID NOT say they should be forced out at all !!!!!

MissAdventure Mon 13-Aug-18 23:01:14

Yes, I appreciate that I'm lucky (Although my flat is mostly held together with 'no more nails' these days!) but it makes no difference to my opinion on large properties being kept by people who no longer have a need for them.
I do mean large houses which are more suitable for more people to live in.

gillybob Mon 13-Aug-18 23:04:16

Why deliberately try to twist what someone is saying ? I don’t get it ?

MissAdventure Mon 13-Aug-18 23:08:08

Its an emotive subject, I know.

gillybob Mon 13-Aug-18 23:08:39

Where my dad lives ( a tiny little close of purpose built bungalows) there is a huge waiting list of people from the massive neighbouring LA estate of 3/4 bedroomed houses that they no longer need/ want/ can afford to heat/ feel safe in ...... etc. The problem is there are only 35 bungalows and my dad is in one of them ( and hopefully will be for some time yet ) .

gillybob Mon 13-Aug-18 23:10:38

I’m getting truly fed up
Of having almost everything I say twisted into something nasty ! Why ? Just why ?

MissAdventure Mon 13-Aug-18 23:11:20

Its lack of properties too.
I was told by the council that in three years, only three 2 bedroom properties had become available to rent.

gillybob Mon 13-Aug-18 23:16:25

Exactly what I was trying to say way back MissA until my post was twisted . ( As per usual ) Lack of bungalows on my dads (huge ) estate means no one can move into more suitable properties .

MissAdventure Mon 13-Aug-18 23:22:45

Like I said, knotty...
I don't know what the answer is.

merlotgran Mon 13-Aug-18 23:27:22

DH's parents lived in a roomy three bedroom council house. When all the family had left and they both developed health problems they decided to move into sheltered accommodation. It was their decision but they had to move a long way from friends to find something suitable.

The benefits soon became obvious. They enjoyed the rest of their lives having more money to spend on enjoying themselves instead of heating a largish property.

Home owners can see the advantages so I cannot understand why some council tenants believe the 'family home' is where they should rattle around.

MissAdventure Mon 13-Aug-18 23:30:09

If there was a scheme where I could exchange with someone needing 2 bedrooms, I would certainly consider it, particularly if their property was in better shape than mine.
It would save me a whole heap of worry.
Obviously not at the moment, but in the future.

SueDonim Mon 13-Aug-18 23:37:45

The council in my area came up with a good plan. They refurbished a tower block just for older people to move into if they wished, thus freeing up larger properties.

It worked very well, people liked their home being on one level and it meant they had a ready-made community, combating loneliness.

A visitor told me that many of the landings outside the lifts were decorated with side tables with runners and fresh flowers or ornaments on them, very homely.

MissAdventure Mon 13-Aug-18 23:39:51

I'm sure if councils were more proactive they could find solutions which served communities better.