Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The new Winnie the Pooh film

(10 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 18-Aug-18 13:46:59

Went this morning with my daughter to watch this, it is delightful. Lots of grown ups without children watching it, maybe bringing back memories of reading the stories to their children or maybe having them read to them!!! We had breakfast in McD then cinema. now home to do some chores.

MawBroon Sat 18-Aug-18 15:10:56

Slated by the critics though. Unlike Paddington2 which was a romp!
Glad you enjoyed it though, the critics don’t always know everything do they?

KatyK Sat 18-Aug-18 15:55:26

I have posted on here before about the lovely, sad, heart warming film we saw last year. It was called Goodbye Christopher Robin which told the story of the relationship between A A Milne and his son and how the whole Pooh thing affected his son. Wonderful.

Grandma70s Sat 18-Aug-18 15:56:41

I’ve only seen the trailers. I was shocked by it. Winnie and friends look all wrong (more like the awful Disney version than the original illustrations) and above all - they have American accents! You just can’t do that to this most English of books.

KatyK Sat 18-Aug-18 16:00:46

Grandma70s Yes, that's what is putting me off, although I could be wrong. The one I saw had no puppets or whatever they are. Just a lovely gentle story.

Grandma70s Sat 18-Aug-18 17:54:33

KatyK, I quite liked Goodbye, Christopher Robin,too, apart from the fact that the child playing him was too old,

MawBroon Sat 18-Aug-18 21:37:08

I found Goodbye Christopher Robin just SO sad!

I hate what Disney did to all the Winnie the Pooh characters, they just don’t “get it” do they?

littleflo Sun 19-Aug-18 11:59:12

I hated it. I thought it was so depressing and unoriginal. However, the GSs loved it, which is what matters.

Grandma70s Sun 19-Aug-18 12:45:11

littleflo, which film did you hate? Goodbye Christopher Robin or the newer one?

MawBroon, no, they just don’t get it. The problem is that millions of people now think the Disney versions are the real Winnie the Pooh. So, so sad.

littleflo Sun 19-Aug-18 15:57:37

The new one, “Christopher Robin”. It is about when he is a work obsessed adult, ignoring his daughter. There was a very similar story with Robin Williams as. Peter Pan which was much lighter.