Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Bohemian Rhapsody

(52 Posts)
overthehill Wed 31-Oct-18 17:36:59

Fantastic feel like you're actually at the concerts....Freddie actor very good

gillybob Wed 31-Oct-18 17:41:30

As a huge fan of the late great Freddie Mercury I was really looking forward to seeing this film overthehill but haven’t read any good reviews at all . So thank you for your recommendation . smile

Willow500 Wed 31-Oct-18 17:41:39

Really want to see this. We were at Knebworth on the Kind Of Magic tour - an unforgettable day from the traffic jam on the motorway on the way there where people were just walking about talking to each other to the moment we left and my husband moved the traffic cones to get out of the car park! Definitely magic!

overthehill Wed 31-Oct-18 18:05:40

gillybob yes I read this. I rarely agree with the critics

BlueBelle Wed 31-Oct-18 18:21:11

I went last week and only partially enjoyed it I loved the music of course but found the story line and acting very poor and I really don’t think they did Freddy justice at all he was such an intelligent complex character and I came away thinking they had really only concentrated on his dabauchery and weird sexual life style to the loss of the overwhelmingly interesting person he was
If you are going for the music you ll love it if you were expecting a bit more you might be disappointed like I was
I personally thought the Freddy actor was brilliant in the music scenes the movements and strutting performance was just like watching Fredd, however his acting and that silly overbite and consequential strange speaking impediment from the bigger teeth didn’t do it for me at all

I didn’t read the reviews so wasn’t influenced one way or another

Shirleyw Wed 31-Oct-18 18:49:27

Going next week, looking forward to it.....

Legs Wed 31-Oct-18 20:02:42

Was anyone at the concert in Stafford?
The audience were waiting for the encore and all started singing "You'll never walk alone" Queen came back on and joined in!
In a much later interview, Freddy said that was the origin of the idea for "We are the Champions"
What a night!

grannyqueenie Wed 31-Oct-18 20:29:13

I saw the film last night with our daughter and her family, really enjoyed it. Although it didn’t explicitly focus on Freddie’s complex character I thought that was still clear, as much by what wasn’t said as by what was..

minesaprosecco Wed 31-Oct-18 23:30:32

Just got back from seeing it, and I loved it.

ninathenana Thu 01-Nov-18 07:17:22

I was put off by some bad reviews I read but a friend loved it, so may give it a go.
One of the reviews said you may as well just listen to a Queen CD. Is there more to it than the fantastic music ?
Willow I was at Knebworth too. smileOur coach got in ok as it was early. Took over an hour to get out though. We were so annoyed as we had forgone the oncore so as not to keep the coach waiting.

Liz46 Thu 01-Nov-18 07:53:12

I saw Queen on two occasions at The Empire in Liverpool - fabulous! I saw a tribute band at a theatre a few years ago and was quite disappointed so have some reservations about the film but I'll probably go.

KatyK Thu 01-Nov-18 10:16:20

I loved this film. Most people don't agree so I was pleased to see this thread. I came out of the cinema feeling like I had been to a live concert too overthehill

henetha Thu 01-Nov-18 10:20:49

I saw this film a few days ago and LOVED it! But then, I am a huge fan of Queen.

CassieJ Thu 01-Nov-18 12:20:17

I saw this film last week and absolutely loved it! Best film I have seen in a long time. Everyone in the cinema was totally quiet the whole time the film played.

Ignore the critics, see the film for yourself.

NonnaW Thu 01-Nov-18 13:23:55

Going today, looking forward to it.

ptime Fri 02-Nov-18 20:36:55

so many queen fans. like most of you lot. very happy with this film. not sure if you lot will be happy with how I express as I got a feeling this is going down like a hammer to a fall lol.

rami malek new love of my life and my new queen 29.10.18

try ed to not to listen to reviews

all the red and some green

in my brain not any blues

recreated in a film my perfect queen.

a side not to familiar

the rows and disputes

one thing not to similar

deacon as i no him for mutes.

pain for mary

both done no betrayal

missing god parent was scary

but minor details is no breakthru derail.

out standing and dominant

some scenes made legs trembly

saw so much of the flamboyant

remarkable was recreation of 86 wembley.

queen will never be forgotten

just like this performance with rami malek

a rave review so lets hope you on cotton

queen is now in odeon and its a kind of magic.

overthehill Sat 03-Nov-18 08:57:26

Ptime poet and don't know it

Buffybee Sat 03-Nov-18 12:07:47

I'm looking forward to watching this film. My Ds and Dil saw it this week and said it was brilliant.
I saw Queen at Maine Road, Manchester in 1986.
One of my best memories.

MeltingMacaron Sat 03-Nov-18 12:14:51

Kudos to casting department for finding actors who looked so similar to the band members. I spent much of the film wondering where I had seen Gwilym Lee (Brian May) before only to realise he's a Barnaby sidekick in Midsommer. Mike Myers was unrecognisable as EMI excutive Ray Foster.

I thought it was a bit lightweight and cliched but the music was great and Rami Malek's re-enactment of Mercury's performance at Live Aid was perfect. I was there and it brought back many memories.

Shirleyw Thu 08-Nov-18 04:44:47

Thoroughly enjoyed it. I never take note of critics, they just get paid for their opinion.

Buffybee Thu 08-Nov-18 09:26:33

Watched it last night.
Brilliant!
I would recommend if you are a Freddie Mercury fan.
Make sure you take a tissue!

lilypollen Thu 08-Nov-18 12:09:17

We went last night and thought it was great. I'd read the poor reviews but it's the views of the paying public that count. My only criticism was that in the early 70s part, the Freddie character looked a lot like Mick Jagger. That changed when his hair was shorter.

gulligranny Fri 09-Nov-18 22:07:40

We are going at the weekend; me reluctantly, because I loved Freddie so much that I can't imagine anyone doing him justice. However, comments from Gransnetters who've been to see the film have given me hope that I will get something from it and of course the music will be great. But oh - how can they possibly do justice to the brilliance of the Live Aid performance ....

SueSocks Fri 09-Nov-18 22:17:17

Read the poor reviews and wasn't going to go, then a very young ex-colleague texted me and asked me to go with her! So glad that I did, really enjoyed it. I love Queen and it's always great to hear their music. She's not a Queen fan but she enjoyed it too. The actor who plays Freddie is incredible especially at Live Aid! The actor who plays Brian looks so much like him. Of course there are the amazing 70s fashions as well! Great film.

BlueBelle Fri 09-Nov-18 22:19:47

He did in the singing scenes but he didn’t in the talking scenes Gulligranny